• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could you afford vet treatment?

Could you afford vet treatment in excess of £1000?

• Yes

Votes: 58 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 29 28.2%
  • Only if their insurance covers it

Votes: 16 15.5%

• Total voters
I voted yes. It wouldn't be my own money though, it would be that of the people who financially support me at times in my life, including my dad. I have about £500 of my own in reserve at any one time usually, but i have upto a £200 allowance i spend on vet bills a month. This month has cost me £70 so far and probably will be more like £170 by the time i'm finished.

personally no. i have children so i couldnt justify spending that amount when i know it could go towards childrens needs.i dont want to come across as heartless so please dont think it.i would spent afew hundred but i just couldnt go any higher:oops:

I voted the insurance option. If my rabbits weren't insured or insurance didn't cover whatever was wrong, I would scrounge the money together somehow, and I am lucky my parents have said that if anything needed to be done they would help, but I dislike borrowing from them hence they are insured.
However I don't have children or many sick bunnies to think of, I am lucky I only have the animals (and myself I suppose) to consider financially. So I guess it would be easier for me than others, such as yourself, with many ill bunnies to care for.

Also said yes... I have a personal limit of 600 at the moment, but I would beg, borrow and steal the rest! My mum is normally quite forthcoming and my Dad would probably cough up for the special boy.

And similarly I would probably want to remortgage the house/ sell my car/ live off baked beans for the Fluffster.

Both Marnie and Blue are insured....but we have substantial savings (deposit for a house) and I have a savings account of my own too. So I would be able to afford any treatment they would need....unless it went over 20k :lol: :shock:
After that there is always credit cards.
If the only issue was whether we could afford treatment not the welfare or eventual prognosis....there would be no issue at all.

We had money put aside for emergency bunny treatment, but to be honest, you always think it wont be your bunnies that are poorly :( I never expected to spend around £1000 on a bunny :(

If any of my current bunnies were poorly **touches wood** i would struggle if the amount went up as high as Scamps vets bills. Savings dont last long sadly :( x

I voted yes. Like many, I never realised the cost involved when I bought a rabbit, and when I first discovered the forum and saw some of the figures that some people spend...:shock:

I did think at first that I wouldn't cope with a huge vet bill, but when I got the call to say that Quaggie had passed away under GA getting his teeth done, all I could think was how much I would rather have had a big vets bill than losing him. I would do anything for Shakeira, and could not imagine having to make a decision about her well being based on money, and luckily we have a bit of money put aside for a deposit for a house so dont have to.

But, I know, unfortunately, not everyone is in the same position, especially in the current climate.

I cant "afford" it, but would do it. I would put it on my credit card... I would not be able to not go for the treatment if I had a way of getting the money.

I don't have the money available but i have a credit card for things like this. I spent way over that amount on all of Lionels treatment, think i will be paying it off forever but would do it again in a heartbeat.

Yes I could, although if all my animals at once decided to get ill, I probably couldn't. I'd have to decide who came first, and I know which I'd pick, but won't go there on here.

Voted yes, although we couldnt afford it really, the money would have to go on the credit card. Would probably cripple us finantially but we would still do it.

Sookies op is going to cost £317, my vet gives me the exact amount down to the last pound, its great! If it ends up cheaper, its a bonus!

If the xrays show that its worth putting her through the op then im more than happy to cough up the cash.

My dad gave me £1000 last night so ive now got an emergency bun fund! Oh how I love my dad! :love: I went outside to tell the buns the good news & somehow they got into my mind & managed to convince me that they would love a new batch of toys & vetbeds.....the little devils!:lol:

Looks like I might be about to find out about an extra large vet bill. Just got news that Fluffy isn't responding to tablets, she's hyperthyroid cat.
I don't think my vet has done many of these ops and it is quite a risky one so I'm worried.

Obviously I would prefer it if the insurance covered it. But if it didn't, I could afford it. Though it would be half and half savings and credit card (which IMO is not really much different to family lending you the money, you just pay a bit extra on top when you give it back)

I put yes, because we would probably be able to put it on a credit card and pay it off, but then we would have to cut down to pay it back.
It's a joint credit card, but I would feel like it was 'my debt' because really, they are 'my' bunnies.

I can't imagine how hard it would be to make that decision if we had more than one of them ill though (*touches wood*).

I don't know how some of the rescues/sanctuarys manage.

I could essentially afford it but it would depend what it was as to whether I would choose the treatment, PTS or (unlikely but possible) sending to a rescue.

I'm another who frankly didn't realise how expensive vet treatment could be - I had planned on getting insurance but I'd always assumed it would cover any problems including the more common things like tooth burring (which it doesn't) so I don't have them insured.

We'd always find the money. I'm sure neither of us could live with ourselves if we couldn't pay for something they needed. Awful for people in that position :(

Back