• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could Orchard Grass cause bladder sludge?

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Or exacerbate pre-existing bladder sludge?

It's just a theory.

I keep reading that readigrass is too high in calcium although it definitely isn't as it's just dried grass. There does however seem to be a link between readigrass and sludgy urine - perhaps if they haven't drunk enough water to dilute the calcium?

Orchard grass also has the correct level of calcium for rabbits so I'm wondering if the same could happen with this. Also based on the theory that I now don't give Artie pellets as any dried food (low calcium or not) counts as higher calcium because of the lack of moisture content.

The reason for the theory: Artie has known bladder sludge issues and has recently been admitted to vets with a painful episode of sludgy urine. I had increased the amount of orchard grass he gets recently as he loves it and I've found it really hard to collect decent fresh grass for about a month or so (I date it back to around the time the clocks changed). He's on a low calcium diet so I'm very careful what he gets so I'm looking for the reason for the worsening in his condition. Does it sound like orchard grass could be the culprit?

I'm not sure but feeding dried orchard grass tends to give my bunnies smelly, dark wastes and brighter orange urine that they leave around wherever. They've been tested for UTI's and come up negative.
I wonder if the texture or pigment of the grass plays a role in altering their digestive ph? It never used to do it, but it seems to have become an irritant? Perhaps there's been a change in how it's grown?

Why does my rabbit seem to like all the high calcium things? Orchard grass is the one hay he really gets excited about. :roll:

Back