• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

constant humping after bonding

Bolt

Young Bun
Hi guys,

Bolt and Kiwi both have had the snip/spay, Bolt (male) still humps kiwi every day, sometimes it can go for an hour (humping, trying to hump, mounts on top then just stays there etc).

Kiwi normally just walks away and Bolts get off then tries again.

When Bolt was snipped, they only found 1 testicle, they tried to find the other but was not sucessful so he may be borned with only 1?

anyway, i thought it could be a dominance thing but bolt always mounts her. When hes not humping her, they seem to relax and lay down fine together, they eat and drink together.

Kiwi seems to 'dig' every now and then, its annoying sometimes when shes on the plastic bit near her their food bowl and she digs. Dont know why but shes always been doing that.

Bolt has be picked up and played with fine, but Kiwi doesnt like to be held, she moves alot, if shes on our lap she'll normally try to get away but she is fine when in the cage and let us stroke her.

We call her 'the beast' because she eats 2x as much as bolt and she is already bigger than him in size despite her being about 6+ months old.

any advise about the humping? cheers

Jimby constantly humps Cookie, they have been bonded now for just over 2 months.
When we saw the vet the other day we asked if it were normal for him to still be doing it and she said yes, that it is a dominance thing and not to worry.

Poppy (female) tries to mount Nino (male) pretty much every day at some point but he doesn't let her, but then he gets all excited and tries to mount her, and she won't let him! :roll: Neither have ever got away with it in over 2 years and they end up going round in circles a few times until one or the other gets bored, which usually happens after about 5 seconds :lol:

Newly bonded buns may have some way to go establishing their relationship still, and even long-term bonded bunnies will mount one another for all sorts of reasons, very rarely is it sexual thing. It normally relates to dominance or a show of dominance (for a human in the territory's benefit) or just because they are awake and bored, frustrated etc... Provided there is no associated aggression it really is nothing to worry about, at different times of the year the amounts of mounting will vary too. Most buns control their bunny partners by either ignoring the behaviour or giving them a warning. :)

How far did they look for his other testicle? Did they scan? Laparoscopy?

I would be wondering if the second one is so small (because internal ones are often half or quarter the size of normal ones) that it was not easy to find, and therefore presumed there was nothing but actually it was there, somewhere and that he still has hormones.

I would suggest keeping an eye on his little boy bits because he can easily cause himself problems if he is overhumping.

from what i remember, i think it was more of a visual look and feel to find his 2nd testicle.

Kiwi doesnt fight back, i just feel sorry for her having to sit there and endure it. We want to give her lots of cuddles but I dont think shes use to cuddles, always try to fidget and run away.

Only wants to know us when its dinner time lol

any tips on handling or getting Kiwi to be use to being handled by us? She doesnt mind us stroking her but we would like to be able to hold her without having to stop her from jumping off our laps.

Sometimes they can attach to other parts of the bodies, like the kidneys (I also had a bunny with an undescended testicle, only his was easy to locate, but was less than half the size of what his other one was), so can't be found easily. I wonder if maybe some blood tests to look at hormone levels or something might be worthwhile?

well the testicle they snipped was larger than usual.

i just dont get him, he always humps her and we feel sorry for her when he keeps doing it.

Shes spayed anyway so we're not that bothered, just prefer if he stops humping her. Maybe he does it because she poops all over the cage, shes dont use the potty properly like he does.

Back