• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Concerned about a business on facebook

JessBun

Mama Doe
I know links to free ads are not allowed, but I'm unsure about the rules on posting non-free ads so apologise if this is not the right way to go about things.

I'm on a rodent group on facebook, and was very concerned to find this post on it, which was a rabbit being rehomed from a 'home based rescue' as it was advertised, in a totally unsuitable hutch. No mention of the rabbit being castrated, and it needing to ever being bonded with a doe. So I visited their page and it says they are a fostering 'business' (how does that work?). Bun is for sale for £15 or £45 with this hideous hutch. Very concerned about this if it's a business (I'd be even more worried if it was a rescue to be honest).

Can anyone talk to the owner of this business? I am far too direct and fear I'll do more harm than good I'm afraid.

*link removed*

Last edited by a moderator:
Cage is definitely too small, but I've honestly seen worse.
Maybe send them some links from rawf? I don't have a laptop at the moment or I'd do it for you :( (difficult.to write on a phone)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I have, and advised a minimum 6x2x2ft hutch with run. I've been told they'll look at it, then I've been told that it's kept in a 60x60" pen with a run, and that this hutch is just to rehome it with. Then I was told he's comfortable in this hutch so they don't want to upset him by putting him in another (so I guess I can conclude by that statement it's not in the 60x60" pen at all?) :?.

'They would prefer him to go alone' :cry: in case he fights with another rabbit, even though I pointed out that if the rabbits were spayed and castrated bonding isn't really a problem.

They know the hutch isn't suitable/ethical (so why send him off in it!), but will advise he is only to sleep in there.

I'm more concerned about the fact they're making money off this, it's not been castrated and they would prefer him to go alone in this hutch. I know there's far worse (sadly) but it doesn't make it go okay to make money off this.

(Just to clarify I've asked them and they are a not registered charity as they first advertised, they are in fact a business who donate some money to a charity).

Just to add, I've had to leave it there with them as I'm getting rather cross at blatantly being lied to about this and the excuses being made even though they know this isn't right. I don't want to get cross and undo any effect there may be possibly be made. Also not happy they advertised themselves as a registered charity when they are in fact a business (as stated by themselves). Poor bun. Sending him off in this is just teaching others that this type of accommodation is fine.

I removed the link as it's along the same lines as free ads, and I wouldn't want lots of people to be messaging them with advice (especially when we have no control over how it's worded) as sometimes it can do more harm than good to bombard people with info. You're right too, getting cross with people doesn't make them any more likely to listen but I understand how frustrating it can be sometimes.

I wonder if it's worth contacting the RWAF, to see if they can offer some advice. They're used to dealing with all sorts of rabbit welfare issues on a daily basis.

Back