• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Composting used rabbit litter?

Egg shells can go in as can tea bags. :)
Eggshells don't always decompose entirely, but they are superuseful for aerating the stack. Some teabags used to (may still have?) plastic 'bags' so also won't decompose properly: worth checking :) Or just drink loose-leaf and throw the leaves over the roses :lol:

It would be well worth looking at compost sites, as I said, because it is important to get the balance right. I didn't realise that and put too much hay in mine, which all got clogged together. I have two of those large plastic ones with a 'hatch' at the bottom. I really don't like them as it is almost impossible to turn the contents, which is important if stuff is to compost down. I am hoping to have a wooden one built for me.

Okay i'll talk to my OH about looking at some composting sites when he is back from work today. We are planning on getting one of the black plastic ones with the hatch at the bottom as they are subsidised by the council so quite cheap. I did see a really nice wooden one but it didn't have a lid and I think it's better to have a lid?!

Eggshells don't always decompose entirely, but they are superuseful for aerating the stack. Some teabags used to (may still have?) plastic 'bags' so also won't decompose properly: worth checking :) Or just drink loose-leaf and throw the leaves over the roses :lol:

Ah it would be really good if tea bags could be composted as I drink soo much tea!! I will have to see what the tea bags are made of though!

Okay i'll talk to my OH about looking at some composting sites when he is back from work today. We are planning on getting one of the black plastic ones with the hatch at the bottom as they are subsidised by the council so quite cheap. I did see a really nice wooden one but it didn't have a lid and I think it's better to have a lid?!

Ah it would be really good if tea bags could be composted as I drink soo much tea!! I will have to see what the tea bags are made of though!

Yes I have a couple of council subsidised 'Daleks' at the bottom of my garden! They keep the stack well heated, which is necessary ... I actually use an organic compost activator to make the stuff go quicker. Then I can use it on my raised beds in the spring again :D

We've composted tea bags for years and years and never had any problems and we drink all kinds of different teas. :lol:

We've composted tea bags for years and years and never had any problems and we drink all kinds of different teas. :lol:

Yes me too :thumb:

However, I don't do the fancy tea pigs, so maybe they are plastic?

Coffee grounds are excellent for encouraging the worms ....

Yes I have a couple of council subsidised 'Daleks' at the bottom of my garden! They keep the stack well heated, which is necessary ... I actually use an organic compost activator to make the stuff go quicker. Then I can use it on my raised beds in the spring again :D

Yes, I have two of these. Don't you find it difficult to turn the compost? Also, don't know what I've done wrong but the little hatch at the bottom won't close.

Yes, I have two of these. Don't you find it difficult to turn the compost? Also, don't know what I've done wrong but the little hatch at the bottom won't close.

Yes it's a wee bit difficult :shock: I used to use a strong stick then it broke :lol:

I now (almost) get in there with my rubber gloves on ....

Why do you think my hatches won't close?;)

Ooooh now (sharp intake of breath) ... I sometimes find my hatches a bit temperamental, *but* .......... I think the reason is your Daleks have gone off level. Would you like a quote to get that fixed Madam ;)

Ah brilliant, I'm glad they are good.

I have about 10 different types of tea in the cupboard so hopefully they will all be compostable!

Ooooh now (sharp intake of breath) ... I sometimes find my hatches a bit temperamental, *but* .......... I think the reason is your Daleks have gone off level. Would you like a quote to get that fixed Madam ;)

How can I 'refuse' . . .
Shall I put the kettle on (to boil, not on the compost)

Out of all the threads i've started this one has had the most responses and it's barely about rabbits :lol:

Well, I'm just a saddo!
Someone from work left recently .... and my first comment was that I'd miss him because we used to talk about composting! He even took pics on his phone so he could show me. :roll:

Well, I'm just a saddo!
Someone from work left recently .... and my first comment was that I'd miss him because we used to talk about composting! He even took pics on his phone so he could show me. :roll:

Haha don't worry i'm sad too…i'm really quite excited about getting our compost bin so we can start composting, mainly due to the feeling of not wasting things though.

Back