• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Collars on Rabbits

I would never use them.

My cat, Barney, was found with his front leg trapped through his collar. It had worked all the way up to underneath his shoulder, he was in a terrible mess.

I never use them on the cats (they are chipped) and would never even think of using one on a bunny.

Tbh, I doubt a socialized bunny is going to have any more issue with a collar/harness than being picked up. A nervous bunny might have an issue but the same as if you picked them up or did anything out of the routine.

Ah, but picking a Rabbit up is often done to ensure Bun's health and welfare ( general health checks/nail clipping/grooming etc) IMO a collar has no health or welfare benefit to a Rabbit and demeans the species .
Again, just my personal opinion :)

Janex

I would never use them.

My cat, Barney, was found with his front leg trapped through his collar. It had worked all the way up to underneath his shoulder, he was in a terrible mess.

I never use them on the cats (they are chipped) and would never even think of using one on a bunny.

My cat is chipped too but she still wears a collar because I want people to know she has a home and where it is. If she was injured then I would hope someone would bring her to me. Yes her address could be found out at the vets when she was scanned, but many people may not take her if they thought she might be a stray and feared a big bill.

You can get safety collars which release if the cat becomes trapped.

well as everyone knows here my Duke wears a collar while hes romping around so i can hear where he is and also because my dog wear their he seem to think he should have one as well if he doesnt have one on while hes running about the house he chews the dogs ones of and come running up to you with it!!!:shock::lol: the dogs ones are £50 each and i have 2 dogs so thats £100 worth of collars chewed up in minuites id rather hed wear a collar in the house than replace them everyday:shock:

I doubt he honestly wants to wear a collar, he just likes chewing like all rabbits. You could give him something else to chew like an apple branch.

Having seen horrendous injuries on both cats and dogs caused by collars, I would never put one on a rabbit.

As others have said, a normal collar can get caught and cause death by strangulation, and elasticated collars can get caught around other body parts (usually under the 'armpit') and can mean the animal has to be PTS :(

Amy

The vet thought that Barney would have to be PTS, he never for a minute thought he would recover from his injury. He was a stray rescued by Cats Protection.

BUT, after intensive nursing by Cats Protection and then by us his wound did finally heal but the scar is horrible.

He is a British Blue and is 12 now and is the most loving beautiful cat EVER :D

well as everyone knows here my Duke wears a collar while hes romping around so i can hear where he is and also because my dog wear their he seem to think he should have one as well if he doesnt have one on while hes running about the house he chews the dogs ones of and come running up to you with it!!!:shock::lol: the dogs ones are £50 each and i have 2 dogs so thats £100 worth of collars chewed up in minuites id rather hed wear a collar in the house than replace them everyday:shock:

tbh i think you are putting human emotions onto the situation. i dont think any rabbit would choose to wear one, sumtimes my bunnies pick up stuff and bring it to me, but i dont think rabbits have the intelligence to pick up a collar and think 'i want to wear this'

My dog doesn't wear a collar unless shes being walked, so I certainly see no need to put one on a rabbit! :shock:

If I had a cat, they'd be a housecat, and again wouldn't have a collar, I don't like them as I've heard of too many animals who have been hurt or killed when they get caught in them.:cry:

Nope no collars here. The cats are chipped and don't have collars, they don't need them and I'd be worried about them hanging themselves or otherwise hurting themselves. When Twiglet was run over, the guy who picked him up out of the road took him to the vets. It was the chip that enabled the vet to let us know what had happened.

ralph only wears his collar when i walk him, ste dont even need to put a lead on him when he takes him out... we have a harness for the car so he cant get strangled if we crash, i cant imagine subjecting Alvin to a collar totally ming bogglin that one.... even my george didnt wear a collar incase he got hurt....

We ahve 3 house cats, all chipped and NO collars.

Poppy dog is chipped but legally has to be tagged in public so she only wears her collar when we go out, although we actually have a harness to attach her lead too.

My cat wears a collar because I think lots of people wouldnt be bothered taking her to the vet to see if she was microchipped. Her little tag has her name, my home number and work number engraved on it so if anything happens to her there is more chance of me being contacted straight away :D

I think harnesses are fine for short periods when taking a bun outside, i think it depends on the bunny, saffy loves it, Joey however wasnt keen so i dont take him out on it. I had a dutch bunny that loved going out in her harness, its a difficult one because i think it is easily abused. I personally didnt put collars on my cats but i see why people do and as long as you get a quick release one and it fits properly i think they are acceptable. As for bunnies well i dont think collars really are very appropriate, if they are on for short times, fit properly and have a quick release under supervision again maybe it isnt so bad. If the bun doesnt mind it and its so you can hear where they are around the house i cant see the problem. I personally dont put collars on mine but then thats personal choice.

By law, your dog needs to wear an ID tag in public... therefore needs to wear a collar... ;)

Vera

they wore collars until brodie went through a stage of rolling in poo and ruined her collar. my parents just never got new ones as they dont run off or anything. in three years nobody has stopped us to say its illegal that they dont wear collars. they are all chipped and have choke chains for their leads (dont start slating me they arent my dogs so its not my choice)

i personally think rabbits look embarrassed with collars on! harnesses are fine for taking them out on leads but a bun permenantly in a harness looks silly IMO

i personally think rabbits look embarrassed with collars on! harnesses are fine for taking them out on leads but a bun permenantly in a harness looks silly IMO

Not to mention they could get them entagled somewhere and hurt themselves. :cry:
NEVER leave a rabbit unattended while wearing a harness.

i think collars on rabbits are a daft idea...but i know some rabbits enjoy the harnes and lead and others dont all my previous buns would go skits if you tried putting one near them but two of my freinds rabbits used to walk to the park with us and the dog. ok i realise now that was probebly a daft idea as they could have escaped or something but the rabbits seemed to get excited about thier outings and would run over when you picked up the lead. this was a good few years ago i no longer see the freind who owned them.

Snowy doesnt mind a harness where as due to her nature i would never try dora on one. snowy likes being able to go out the front to see whats there and munch the dandilions on the front lawn on her harness or to hav a hop in our non bunny proofed house. yes ideally they should never have to wear anything but if they are happy on a harnes and lead under supervision i do not see any problem.

I have never heard of putting collars on rabbits:shock: And really don't see the point!

I had a harness for my late Roman..he enjoyed his walks, but no other bun that i have likes wearing a harness.

I'd never put a collar on a rabbit! But I do use harnesess aslong as the bunny isn't bothered when I put it on, if there is any resistance they don't wear it, Holly and Magic don't mind at all but Asbeau hates it to he is allowed to runa round a section of the garden under supervision.
My cat wears a flourescent collar as he is black and can't be seen easily in the dark, we live next to a road so it's for his own saftey. and my dogs wear collars all the time and they have never ahd any problems with it, there isn't really anything they could get caught on, and there isn't a big enough gap, we can fit two fingers in it and that;s it.

Back