• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Coldsores and rabbits- I am very worried

Mia

Warren Scout
Hi guys

I am worried to death as I recently read that bunnies can catch our human cold sores. One of my boys often licks my face and I am so worried that there is a chance he could become infected.
It is especially worrying as I have not seen any articles on treatment, just the discovery of the infection post mortem.
Has anyone had any experience of their bunnies being infected, and is there treatment? I would really appreciate any help (or reassurance)!!

Hi guys

I am worried to death as I recently read that bunnies can catch our human cold sores. One of my boys often licks my face and I am so worried that there is a chance he could become infected.
It is especially worrying as I have not seen any articles on treatment, just the discovery of the infection post mortem.
Has anyone had any experience of their bunnies being infected, and is there treatment? I would really appreciate any help (or reassurance)!!

The risk of transmitting the virus to a Rabbit is very small and it only really applies if the Rabbit were to lick an open cold sore lesion. So try not to worry, just try not to let your Bunny lick your face if you have an open cold sore.

Hi guys

Hi Mia

You are quite right to be concerned as it is a possibility, as the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund documents here:

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/RWAF_Pet_rabbits_&_your_health.pdf

One hazard that most rabbit owners will not be aware of is that rabbits are highly susceptible to herpes simplex virus or HSV, which causes cold sores in humans. HSV can cause a nasty brain infection (encephalitis) in rabbits, with features such as sudden head tilt and loss of balance that could mimic a dramatic middle ear infection, or E. cuniculi related problems.

HSV has been reported in literature having affected rabbits who developed HSV encephalitis following close contact with their owners who were suffering from HSV cold sores.

It isn’t know how significant this risk is, but until more information is available, we would advise rabbit owners with an active cold sore to wash their hands before handling their rabbit and definitely not to kiss the bunny until the cold sore has gone.

Interesting, I didn't know cold sores were dangerous to rabbits. I know they're dangerous to some species of primates though - marmosets and tamarins especially. It's super deadly to them.

I'd just avoid letting him lick your face to be safe. I know with primates they can still contract it even if you don't currently have a cold sore and even if you're one of those people who has the disease but never shows any symptoms of it. I don't know if it's the same with rabbits, but something to keep in mind.

Thanks for the replies.

I am particularly interested if anyone knows of a bunny who has been successfully treated for this, any vets out there with experience of this?

Thanks for the replies.

I am particularly interested if anyone knows of a bunny who has been successfully treated for this, any vets out there with experience of this?

There are only reports of effective treatment in experimentally infected Rabbits. Not in Rabbits who acquire infection naturally. For the experimental cases there are reports of some success with using anti viral drugs such as Acyclovir .

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/viral/Herpes_simplex_Inf_Hhog.htm

Thanks for the replies.

Has your bunny now been diagnosed positive for this?

Remedies for bunny with HSV encephalitis

Has your bunny now been diagnosed positive for this?

Hello,

My 10-year old rabbit has recurring HSV1 encephalitis, which I accidentally gave to him in his 9th-10th year.

When he was seen by the vet for seizures and circling, the vet saw a cold sores after inspecting my rabbit's eye and took brain x-rays but did not diagnose the cause of the encephalitis. My rabbit tested negative for E. Cuniculi. I ultimately made the connection with my own cold sore outbreak.

The vet said I should prepare for the worst and advised against brain surgery due to his age and said he wouldn't survive the operation.

Despite this, I have so far been able to heal my 10 year old rabbit from his HSV encephalitis twice using the following protocol three times a day (morning, lunch and bedtime):

colloidal silver - three squirts in infected ear and one on the infected eye (his eye developed cataract due to the swelling)
quercetin Quercetin 500mg Capsules 98% Extract (2 capsules in about 100 ml of water solution) - 6 ml of solution
Levetiracetam (anti seizure med from vet) - 0.15 ml
VetRx - on nostril

The other thing I do, espeically towards the beginning of the swelling, is to gently hold ice in a dish towel to his head for about 30 seconds, repeating as often as tolerated. The heat from the infection subsides, and that's how you know that the inflammation is responding.

I have only used a dab of the mild herbal oil VetRx on my rabbit's nostrils, I also mixed it with anti-HSV melissa essential oil on my rabbit's nostrils. However, I would only do this in an emergency as essential oils can burn skin. My rabbit hated it, but didn't have a problem. I wouldn't reccomend putting it near an eye or an ear. Also, the colloidal silver,which is use for treating animal wounds at farms, is slightly abrasive to skin. It caused my rabbit to lose a little hair by his ear, so this is an emergency-only treatment - he seemed to tolerate this however.

While the encephalitus and brain swelling caused my rabbit did go blind with a cataract in one eye, the brain swelling went down, he regained normal movement, and his seizures now are not every day. I have been alble to keep him for a couple extra months so far :love:

Last edited:
Back