• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cold outside

tanya_306

Alpha Buck
My 3 rabbits live together outside. They have a run attached to their cage and each morning I open the bottom floor so that rabbits have access to their run all day. The last few days my rabbits have chose to remain in the cage, even though the door downstairs is wide open.

They don't sleep in the bed, they lie next to the slope/staircase (!) on the top floor. Surely they are freezing?

I have been giving them extra hay, only to find they push it down stairs or into the run.

Their cage has got an insulating cover and a waterproof cover on it and one of their bottles has a bottle hugger thing on it. I have also started giving them a snugglesafe in the mornings.

Their ears feel cold and I think Peter looks sad. :oops:

Is there anything else I can do to keep them warmer?

Thanks

Tanya.

I wouldn't worry too much - as long as they have the option of going somewhere snuggly, warm and dry, they're not going to let themselves freeze. Mine have 24/7 access to their runs and I can pretty much guarantee that they'll be sat outside at 3am on all but the wettest nights (they don't do rain :lol:). Cold doesn't seem to bother them as long as they've grown their nice thick winter coats but I make sure they have the option of getting indoors should they wish.

You could give them some straw as well as hay, because straw is more insulating than hay so will keep them warmer, and then that leaves the hay for eating. Just keep an eye on them though because straw can have some sharp bits that could catch in their eyes, but we use the stuff from Pets at Home and havent had a problem.

I agree with both these posts - as mine all sit out in the cold (run access 24/7)

but I've added some straw this winter? :D

Mine the same .Sit outside in all weathers (it is covered)
Only seem to go up the ramp to the cosy bit to sleep during the day.
Also i insulate with straw and in the winter a snugglesafe.

I wouldn't worry too much - as long as they have the option of going somewhere snuggly, warm and dry, they're not going to let themselves freeze. Mine have 24/7 access to their runs and I can pretty much guarantee that they'll be sat outside at 3am on all but the wettest nights (they don't do rain :lol:). Cold doesn't seem to bother them as long as they've grown their nice thick winter coats but I make sure they have the option of getting indoors should they wish.

Sorry to sound really dumb, but how do I know that they have grown their thick winter coats?? Peters coat doesn't feel any thicker than it did when he moved outide in May time. :?

I have been having the same worry with mine - I fill their bedroom up with hay and straw only to find they kicked most of it out and eaten the rest :shock:
I am now assuming that they will stop doing this once they are cold.
They have got fab thick coats though (and are always snuggled together)

Are my rabbits cold

Hello,
This is my first time using this forum :wave: I am probably doing it wrong!

I am worried about my rabbits, as always at this time of year. it is freezing this morning and my rabbits live outside in hutch, they are in a shed though however as well, which must be very boring but I feel it must be better than being in the cold completely.

I can't help but worry about them constantly and that they are too cold, I feel cruel living them outside :cry:

Is there anything I can buy to make their life a little more pleasant, I bought them pink bottles you put in the microwave, they just seem to look at them when I put them in and sniff them and that is the end of that, plus they do not stay warm for long half an hour at most apparently 12 hours! I am thiniking should I get a heater installed! I hate this time of year! my husband is harsh he says they will be fine, but I hate the thought of them having another cruel winter and them being unhappy!

People at work think I am crazy!!!

Hello,
This is my first time using this forum :wave: I am probably doing it wrong!

I am worried about my rabbits, as always at this time of year. it is freezing this morning and my rabbits live outside in hutch, they are in a shed though however as well, which must be very boring but I feel it must be better than being in the cold completely.

I can't help but worry about them constantly and that they are too cold, I feel cruel living them outside :cry:

Is there anything I can buy to make their life a little more pleasant, I bought them pink bottles you put in the microwave, they just seem to look at them when I put them in and sniff them and that is the end of that, plus they do not stay warm for long half an hour at most apparently 12 hours! I am thiniking should I get a heater installed! I hate this time of year! my husband is harsh he says they will be fine, but I hate the thought of them having another cruel winter and them being unhappy!

People at work think I am crazy!!!

As long as they have shelter from wind and rain and somewhere covered and enclosed to go to.I would get a snugglesafe and put in extra straw and hay.And have noticed mine are eating more also.Remember they have each other to snuggle up to.Also lots of love and affection.:love:

Back