• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Coco

I'm so glad that Coco has improved and I hope he starts to eat properly soon. Most rabbits prefer and drink more from a bowl. What medication have you got to give him at home?

Sending him more vibes.

Do you think insurance would be a good idea? It would literally just put my mind at rest as in if he ever needs treatment or becomes really ill i know that we will be prepared!

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

yes!
you can always make a decision to stop paying for insurance in the future (not saying to do that, it's just that you could) but you can't go back in time & insure a non-insured rabbit - if you get my meaning.

one thing that i would do if i was getting insurance is really look at the different policies & examine the t&c's to make sure i was covered for what i consider was needed, appropriate excess amounts etc.

why do rabbits always choose to get ill out-of-hours!

Last edited:
I'm so glad he has improved! Thanks for updating :D

I'd definitely look into insurance! :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I'm so glad that Coco has improved and I hope he starts to eat properly soon. Most rabbits prefer and drink more from a bowl. What medication have you got to give him at home?

Sending him more vibes.
I put the medication in a comment above somewhere. Yeah he used to like his bottle but not lately!

Hi everyone so sorry for the delay!!

Me and my husband were talking last night, we are going to get insurance for Coco i know it doesn't cover his jabs or neutering but i dont mind that I didn't even know rabbit insurance existed lol so that's on our to do later & we will register him with a rabbit savvy vet!

Coco has improved massively since yesterday, he was back to running circles around my legs this morning before school run, he's been pooping and weeing too! I haven't seen him eat yet as i had to pop out, but I've bought him some nuggets will see if he eats them! I've also just bought him a new bed. Last night i noticed that he wouldn't drink from his water bottle but was gulping it from his bowl so I'll leave him with a bowl instead! He's still a bit nervous because of the vet trip, injections and force feeding but hopefully he will be calmer soon!

I am so glad there's been such a good improvement!

Insurance is well worth thinking about x

I’m so glad he’s feeling better:thumb: insurance is definitely a good idea imo :thumb:

I have insurance, I only got it late as I too didn't realise that it was a thing.

the problem is though, is that now he has been treated for stasis, it will likely be excluded. any prior issues TO being insured are excluded from the insurance. if he has had any dentals, or any other illness, they will be excluded. its because people end up with a pet with a diagnosed ongoing issue, and *then* they decide they can't pay, so then they try to get insurance to make the insurance companies pay out.

its why its best to insure a bun ASAP after getting them as there will be no exclusions so you can claim for everything. of course, you didn't know (and nor did I at first), so nothing can be done now.

I only got Luna insured later on in life, so she is excluded for skin conditions and her sore hocks, as those were a prior treatment and an ongoing issue. so for any skin conditions or sore hocks I can't claim for. but stasis, dentals etc I can claim for.

I use petplan for mine, I find them pretty good. I also know that they *will* usually cover dental treatment, as long as rabbit has had a checkup in the last 12 months, and you act within a month or so of being told they need a dental. sometimes they still refuse, but like now Luna has had a dental so I've put in a claim to hopefully get back £65. my excess is £65 which isn't too bad.

its definitely a peace of mind. any vet bill that comes over your excess you can claim for.

OOH vets can be expensive, but I think I can claim back on that too. I know a consult is just 150 :shock: no way I could afford that. but with insurance if push comes to shove I can go. some vets also do direct claims, so you pay £65, and then they get the money back from your insurer.

I would say go for it. future stasis may not now be covered, as you do have to disclose any medical issues they have had. they also will contact your vet to make sure the details are correct, so don't try and wriggle your way out of exclusions like I've seen some people do.

the problem with vets is that while a practice may have a rating from the RWAF, as they have a rabbit friendly vet list, they are not recommending the practice as a whole. you need to see the recommended or rated vet, the rabbit savvy vet. in a practice one vet may only be considered good for treating rabbits. you need to specify the one with the most knowledge.

some vets practices are good, but it might only be one particular vet. when I used companion care they had two rabbit savvy vets so I saw them, they left and all they have are locums now, so I don't bother. I want consistent care of the same vet, they know the animal, I know them, they know the history etc. saves having to explain the same thing over and over again.

so now I travel 10 miles to Ewell to see one particular vet who is rabbit savvy. but I see her and only her (unless an emergency) as she knows her stuff.

definitely call and ask around if any practices near by have a rabbit savvy vet, or an exotics vet.

the sad thing is many vets that are not knowledgeable in rabbits often end up killing them with ill-advise. I really can't stress enough how important it is. rabbits are still classed as an exotic, which many vets do not get taught about at all. vet school focuses on covering the basics and things vets will need to do, and focuses mainly around dogs and cats. to be an exotics, you need to take a different course and its a couple of extra years on top of your general vet school so to speak. so most vets you see have had NO training and no nothing about rabbits. its like asking a GP to preform heart surgery, probably won't end too well. these general vets apply advise for cats/dogs onto rabbits, often ending up killing them.

many general vets say that you should starve a rabbit before surgery, that stasis isn't a big deal, that RHD2 isn't a thing, or it doesn't affect your area etc. they have no idea or any real knowledge, often leading to the rabbits ending up dying.

its why I don't have much faith OOH vets, they never know what to do with rabbits and give poor advise in a moment that could decide whether the rabbit lives.

sorry for my ramble - but I would suggest getting insurance but also finding a good vet you trust fully :D xx

Go on pet plan takes two seconds to sign up and you can choose which date payment comes out

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I have insurance, I only got it late as I too didn't realise that it was a thing.

the problem is though, is that now he has been treated for stasis, it will likely be excluded. any prior issues TO being insured are excluded from the insurance. if he has had any dentals, or any other illness, they will be excluded. its because people end up with a pet with a diagnosed ongoing issue, and *then* they decide they can't pay, so then they try to get insurance to make the insurance companies pay out.

its why its best to insure a bun ASAP after getting them as there will be no exclusions so you can claim for everything. of course, you didn't know (and nor did I at first), so nothing can be done now.

I only got Luna insured later on in life, so she is excluded for skin conditions and her sore hocks, as those were a prior treatment and an ongoing issue. so for any skin conditions or sore hocks I can't claim for. but stasis, dentals etc I can claim for.

I use petplan for mine, I find them pretty good. I also know that they *will* usually cover dental treatment, as long as rabbit has had a checkup in the last 12 months, and you act within a month or so of being told they need a dental. sometimes they still refuse, but like now Luna has had a dental so I've put in a claim to hopefully get back £65. my excess is £65 which isn't too bad.

its definitely a peace of mind. any vet bill that comes over your excess you can claim for.

OOH vets can be expensive, but I think I can claim back on that too. I know a consult is just 150 :shock: no way I could afford that. but with insurance if push comes to shove I can go. some vets also do direct claims, so you pay £65, and then they get the money back from your insurer.

I would say go for it. future stasis may not now be covered, as you do have to disclose any medical issues they have had. they also will contact your vet to make sure the details are correct, so don't try and wriggle your way out of exclusions like I've seen some people do.

the problem with vets is that while a practice may have a rating from the RWAF, as they have a rabbit friendly vet list, they are not recommending the practice as a whole. you need to see the recommended or rated vet, the rabbit savvy vet. in a practice one vet may only be considered good for treating rabbits. you need to specify the one with the most knowledge.

some vets practices are good, but it might only be one particular vet. when I used companion care they had two rabbit savvy vets so I saw them, they left and all they have are locums now, so I don't bother. I want consistent care of the same vet, they know the animal, I know them, they know the history etc. saves having to explain the same thing over and over again.

so now I travel 10 miles to Ewell to see one particular vet who is rabbit savvy. but I see her and only her (unless an emergency) as she knows her stuff.

definitely call and ask around if any practices near by have a rabbit savvy vet, or an exotics vet.

the sad thing is many vets that are not knowledgeable in rabbits often end up killing them with ill-advise. I really can't stress enough how important it is. rabbits are still classed as an exotic, which many vets do not get taught about at all. vet school focuses on covering the basics and things vets will need to do, and focuses mainly around dogs and cats. to be an exotics, you need to take a different course and its a couple of extra years on top of your general vet school so to speak. so most vets you see have had NO training and no nothing about rabbits. its like asking a GP to preform heart surgery, probably won't end too well. these general vets apply advise for cats/dogs onto rabbits, often ending up killing them.

many general vets say that you should starve a rabbit before surgery, that stasis isn't a big deal, that RHD2 isn't a thing, or it doesn't affect your area etc. they have no idea or any real knowledge, often leading to the rabbits ending up dying.

its why I don't have much faith OOH vets, they never know what to do with rabbits and give poor advise in a moment that could decide whether the rabbit lives.

sorry for my ramble - but I would suggest getting insurance but also finding a good vet you trust fully :D xx
Theres a vet local to me so I'm going to check if they are rabbit savvy first! If not I've already got another option. Coco is only 4 months old and only had an infection once so not sure if this will affect everything you said?

Yes OOH vets are expensive. I think ours is £140 consultation, £50 for the night plus x rays and glucose is easily over £300.

Dennis isn't insured so I put away money each month. You can set up a standing order with your vet and pay them monthly. Then if there is an emergency you don't have to worry about money's as their account is already credited :D

Theres a vet local to me so I'm going to check if they are rabbit savvy first! If not I've already got another option. Coco is only 4 months old and only had an infection once so not sure if this will affect everything you said?

Yes tbh as your vet never diagnosed stasis, to your knowledge Coco has never had it, so I wouldn't disclose any health issues personally... [emoji38]

ah ok, I thought he was a bit older, sorry!

either way, any previous health issues will be excluded most of the time. if it was a specific infection, they might exclude against that. anything that he has had wrong in the past (including this) may be excluded. its why for Snoopy I had to pay out of pocket as he had dentals before I took out insurance.

its best to get it early, so there are no more exclusions. Luna was insured at 3 years so she already had multiple exclusions, but its still worth it for anything else. just any skin related issues I need to pay out of pocket myself.

I really wouldn't lie on the forms. I've seen people do it and they've been completely turned down from that insurance company totally, so they've had to find somewhere else more expensive. you might not want to tell them he's been unwell this time, as the insurer may exclude it, but its better to be honest.

with swapping vets, in my experience they want to know the previous vet to get the previous's vets records. so swapping vets won't give you a "clean slate" either.

just my person opinion, you can of course do as you wish, but its probably best to be honest :)

Yes tbh as your vet never diagnosed stasis, to your knowledge Coco has never had it, so I wouldn't disclose any health issues personally... [emoji38]

I still would if I'm honest. I've seen some people be denied insurance for that pet if they've lied on the forms as they don't consider you "trust" worthy. so you have to go somewhere else which could be more expensive if you've got a good deal, or can get multipet. ofc that doesn't apply here, but its less worry and stress if you're just honest.

they didn't diagnose stasis, but they may then exclude any stomach related issues etc. like how bc of Luna's sore hocks, she's excluded on any skin related issues.

when swapping vets anyhow, the new vet wants to know your old vet so they can obtain records. that might be microchip, neutering, age, any previous illnesses, medications, notes etc. so the "new" vet that OP goes to would likely still get the old records. or that's how it seems to play out with most vets I've heard of, and my own experience.

pet plan will contact your vet (as they need their details when you register) to confirm that the details you have given are correct anyhow. so if you lie, they'll find out one way or another. its to make sure you're not saying they're neutered to get it cheaper when they're not, or that they're microchipped when they aren't etc.

I've also heard of them asking for the previous vet, if you've recently swapped and the new vet doesn't have any medical history.

I guess its to protect them as people will do anything to get past exclusions and rig the companies out of money or something.

its totally up to OP though - but I'd always suggest on this type of thing to be honest I guess? I'd rather not more issues w insurers :)

Hehe me too. Do it coco

I still would if I'm honest. I've seen some people be denied insurance for that pet if they've lied on the forms as they don't consider you "trust" worthy. so you have to go somewhere else which could be more expensive if you've got a good deal, or can get multipet. ofc that doesn't apply here, but its less worry and stress if you're just honest.

they didn't diagnose stasis, but they may then exclude any stomach related issues etc. like how bc of Luna's sore hocks, she's excluded on any skin related issues.

when swapping vets anyhow, the new vet wants to know your old vet so they can obtain records. that might be microchip, neutering, age, any previous illnesses, medications, notes etc. so the "new" vet that OP goes to would likely still get the old records. or that's how it seems to play out with most vets I've heard of, and my own experience.

pet plan will contact your vet (as they need their details when you register) to confirm that the details you have given are correct anyhow. so if you lie, they'll find out one way or another. its to make sure you're not saying they're neutered to get it cheaper when they're not, or that they're microchipped when they aren't etc.

I've also heard of them asking for the previous vet, if you've recently swapped and the new vet doesn't have any medical history.

I guess its to protect them as people will do anything to get past exclusions and rig the companies out of money or something.

its totally up to OP though - but I'd always suggest on this type of thing to be honest I guess? I'd rather not more issues w insurers :)
Definitely honest... But as coco's owner is not a vet... She can only be guided by the professional diagnosis given ;) even if they wanted to argue it... To the best of the owners knowledge Coco was off colour for an evening then fine the next day... There's no diagnosis... And that's nothing to declare is it [emoji38]

Insurance is a funny thing... You should never invalidate your insurance... But coco's owner would be lying imo if she said Coco suffered from stomach issues which a vet hasn't even diagnosed! ;) get the insurance - find a proper vet - that's what I'd do anyway [emoji38][emoji38]

Definitely honest... But as coco's owner is not a vet... She can only be guided by the professional diagnosis given ;) even if they wanted to argue it... To the best of the owners knowledge Coco was off colour for an evening then fine the next day... There's no diagnosis... And that's nothing to declare is it [emoji38]

Insurance is a funny thing... You should never invalidate your insurance... But coco's owner would be lying imo if she said Coco suffered from stomach issues which a vet hasn't even diagnosed! ;) get the insurance - find a proper vet - that's what I'd do anyway [emoji38][emoji38]

Agreed. Do it now coco.

Haha guys!! To be fair he wasn't diagnosed with anything [emoji1745] update. He's absolutely fine! He's back to his normal fussy self chewing things he's not supposed to like walls etc! But I've just done him some of his favourite greens and he's happily munching away!!!! Happy Happy!!
Although he won't be happy in 10 mins when i give him his medicine

Haha guys!! To be fair he wasn't diagnosed with anything [emoji1745] update. He's absolutely fine! He's back to his normal fussy self chewing things he's not supposed to like walls etc! But I've just done him some of his favourite greens and he's happily munching away!!!! Happy Happy!!
Although he won't be happy in 10 mins when i give him his medicine

i'm so happy for him.

& i agree...... you took him to the vets cos you thought he looked a bit poorly but they couldn't find out what was wrong & he was as right as rain the next day :wave:

he didn't eat or pick up something he shouldn't do you think? thinking of chocolate or biscuits.

i'm so happy for him.

& i agree...... you took him to the vets cos you thought he looked a bit poorly but they couldn't find out what was wrong & he was as right as rain the next day :wave:

he didn't eat or pick up something he shouldn't do you think? thinking of chocolate or biscuits.
I dont think so,
Coco seems to have a spot on his nose, which on closer inspection its red... & He also has a spot on his eye lid (bottom)

I dont think so,
Coco seems to have a spot on his nose, which on closer inspection its red... & He also has a spot on his eye lid (bottom)

so, just an observation.... if you went to the vets about those then you might have to mention that before you got insurance, but if you got insurance now and then went to the vets about it.....
dunno, just saying :)

Back