• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning out hutch

Lynn's Bunny

Mama Doe
I am currently bonding my bunnies and it’s going well. I have a huge hutch that I wanted to put them in next spring… how the heck do I clean out my one bunnies scent who lived there by himself all summer?

I have removed everything and was going to spray it with vinegar. Is that enough?

Do you think a fight will happen even next spring?

And how the heck do I clean my yard so I can exercise them together in say a month? I can’t move the hutch because it’s huge and heavy. It’s 10 feet long and solid wood.

Thank you!!!

If you don't think that scrubbing out the hutch and leaving it empty for a while isn't enough, can you repaint it?
Normally, I just do a deep clean on everything, air dry it and rearrange things.

We normally do vinegar and a deep clean then more vinegar tbh [emoji38]

Garden will probably fine if they're well bonded by that point anyway

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Distilled Vinegar and rinsing well
Allow hutch to 100% dry out
sand paper down and paint using a Pet safe water based paint

One thing to note, moving newly bonded Rabbits to a new environment during the months of Spring can sometimes be more challenging as in Sprigtime Rabbits can have behavioural changes known as ‘ Spring Fever’. This effects neutered Rabbits too. They can display behaviours usually seen in entire Rabbits eg lots of humping, chasing, striving for dominance etc.

Ahhhh didn’t think about the spring time issues, thanks for reminding me. They wouldn’t be living in there permanently. It would just be either when they are exercising outside and somewhere fun to run in/out and up/down in while it’s attached to a large exercise pen. Or I can just keep it shut and they can exercise around it.

I think I will probably not let them inside it in the beginning and see what happens. In all my years of having bunnies (since 2000) I never realized how complicated they are! I made so many mistakes in the beginning and i’m surprised I never had any huge fights. It is actually quite shocking.

Back