• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chicken coop in the house?!

Shula

Warren Scout
Hi there,

I'm in search of bunny housing solutions that are spacious and neat - I know this sounds mad (!), but I'm thinking of getting a chicken coop (with built in run) and using it indoors....

Something like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/CHICKEN-COO...WGJY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1337370233&sr=8-6

Not sure if that link will work, but it is basically the size of a single bed (although slightly narrower). Obviously some modifications required: I don't think my bunny will appreciate a perch ;-), and the metal floor would need to be covered, but.......

My purpose is to have somewhere where my rabbit (soon to be 2 rabbits!) can sleep at night, and be shut in when I am not around, and then I will let them have free range while I am here. Because they live in my bedroom, I find that metal pens and cages are too loud, since I had one for my previous rabbit and he thought that rattling the bars at 3am was an excellent past time! Also, while I adore house rabbits, I would like to maintain some kind of tidiness in my home, so not have the whole thing strewn with bunny toys and boxes (well, not all the time anyway!!).

Wondering if anyone had any thoughts, or any slightly less eccentric solutions that might fit the bill?

Thanks in advance

Hello!

I'm not a huge fan of chicken coops as a bunny solution. Personally I feel the ramp may be too steep (although I just looked at the photo briefly, it may be deceptive) and I feel the size of a single bed (3ft x 6ft??) isn't very much space for bun.

My bunnies live in my bedroom and I've sectioned of the larger portion of it for them. I have used metal barriers, which my doe used to rattle, but has never ever done again since I got her a neutered pal! She's so much happier now!

There's a great sticky on indoor housing in 'Housing' ;)

Hi :wave:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...door-Housing&p=4899623&viewfull=1#post4899623

NIC panel housing could be really great indoors and be made to be both spacious and to look like a room feature. I think with that size coop bunny will be chewing the wood and rattling the bars all night as unfortunately they are quite active then :( if I'm in the garden with my buns they shake/chew bars and wood to try to get me to open up and let them free range, and it's not quiet!! I think the only way to avoid them doing this at night is to make sure there's enough room/toys so they can't get bored and want to get out.

Thanks for the thoughts guys :)

Not quite sure what I'll do yet, but some more research called for I think....

Back