• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chewing - is bitter apple safe and does it work

Jem

Young Bun
Hi

My new rabbits are settelign in happily but seem to have a tast for chewing most thing, in particular wooden furniture and part of the wall. I've previously had rats and managed to read somehwere that a bitter apple spray can discourage them from chewing what they shouldn't. I've found some at the following site http://www.petcompany.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Training_82.html but it's designed for dogs. Does anyone know if this works or if it's safe for rabbits?

Thanks

Jem =0)

Humphrey and Rosie <= )0 <= )0

It's supposed to be safe for rabbits

BUT in my experience it doesn't work. Gus loves the taste of it, strange bunny. It might be worth a try, but your bunnies could eventually grow out of the chewing phase, all mine did once they got bored of it.

In the meantime, try giving them seagrass mats - mine would choose them over skirting boards etc or any other toys any day

Don't know - but there's some spray you can get from Petshops - I use it to discourage chewing & weeing in corners. I also have been known to use perfume - one taste & they never go back!!

Neutering can help sometimes too :D

Back