• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chester, my little rescue boy...

Chesterbun

New Kit
24q0nps.jpg

This is Chester, my 7+ year old bunny. He was a rescue so I actually don't know how old he truly was. My best friend saved him 6 years ago from the road, and my family and I took him in. He was the sweetest bunny, and communicated in the coolest ways. I wish so much I had recorded a video of him "calling" us using a little wooden dowel toy we got him. He told me which hay he hated and which hay he loved. (That's a story for another time.) He knew exactly how to ask for treats, and how to tell us he wanted a massage or a good grooming session. He was just an all-around wonderful soul. He will be sorely, sorely missed. Already I can barely keep my eyes open from all the crying I can't seem to stop doing.

The most endearing thing was that he would always give me kisses, and pretty much only me. My mom maybe would get one or two, but as soon as I'd start petting him, I'd get kisses right and left. I consider that a huge honor, and truly hope he knows how much I love him, and how much my whole family loves him. He changed all of our lives, and made the house so lively and hilarious. He was the funniest and most adorable little guy.

Around midnight last night, something wasn't right. He was drinking voraciously and went poop all over the floor. (He is perfectly litter trained so this was unusual.) Thinking he had gas or intestinal troubles, I stayed up with him all night. The later it got, the more lethargic and floppy he became. We took him to the vet the moment the nearest one opened.

The vet simply said he was getting old, and that he might have a bacterial infection in his gut. He gave him a shot of antibiotics and sent us home with some medicine.

40 minutes later, Chester began seizing, lips turning blue. My mother and I held him through his last moments as he slowly slipped away. He turned his head to look at me, then my mom...and he was gone. My dad was there, talking us through the whole thing, telling us what was happening as our little bunny Chester fell deeper and deeper away from life. My 96 year old grandmother standing behind us, praying for his safety as he crossed into the afterlife.

This was a horrible experience... I feel awful for not understanding or knowing what was happening to my little bunny. He was doing binkies and eating happily just on Tuesday. Wednesday was a different story. He died in 12 hours of the start of his strange behavior as midnight approached on Wednesday.

My dad though not a veterinarian, is an experienced clinician. He did some research and said he believes that our beloved Chester died of congestive heart failure. All of the symptoms I saw in him last night seem to point very well to it.

As Chester got older in recent years, he did less and less of the acrobatics he used to do; bounding up the stairs, hopping up and down his chairs, tables, and boxes, digging at every opportunity he got. His appetite was always healthy and he always seemed like a happy, relaxed bunny, but we could tell he was starting to show his age.
:cry::cry::cry::cry:

I apologize for the long post... I just needed to let people know how much this little boy will be missed. Because of him, my family was blessed with the wonderful and unexpected opportunity to take in a rescue, and give him huge amounts of love and attention. He was spoiled with organic dandelion greens, fresh clean water, organic greens, food and snacks. When he first arrived, he lived in his cage but fought and fought so much against it that we decided to throw away the cage, and let him be free in his own big area, and have the entire house at his disposal. I got to learn about rabbits, and how amazing they can be if they're allowed to roam free and just be themselves.

And because of him, I will always donate to rabbit shelters, and volunteer in them as well. I am moving to Oregon soon, and found the perfect sanctuary I can't wait to be a part of. In memory of Chester, I will do my best to make sure all other rescues get the best possible chance at finding a loving forever home.

Lots of love and joy to all here. May our little bunny family members always be safe and sound, surrounded by peace and love.

Last edited:
So very sorry for your loss. It sounds like you did all you could for him, ajd that's a wonderful tribute. Rabbits are such big characters that although they aren't vocal, it always seems eerily quiet when they're gone. Xx

Thank you so much. I really wish I could've saved him or done something different to catch this earlier, but I think everyone always wishes that no matter what the scenario.

So true! The house feels much emptier. I remember when Chester first arrived, you could feel this new presence in the house. My brother concurred with me, there was a huge difference in the feeling of the house.

Chesterbun, I am so sorry for your loss. Chester sounds like a most amazing little chap. I am sure he is watching over you from the Rainbow Bridge. A love like that has no boundaries.

I am soon moving to Oregon as well with my children and pets (I have three elderly house bunnies, two dogs and two cats). We will be on the coast. I hope you will make your transition smoothly. That you are dedicating your time to rescue is a wonderful thing to do in Chester's memory.

Thinking of you and sending comforting vibes in your time of grief.

Bless you, Chester, binky free at the Bridge, lovely bunny. xxxx

Do sorry for your loss, Chested sounded a fantastic little bunny. It is so hard when we lose them, it sounds as if he had a lovely life with you xx

Chester bun welcome to the Forum, and I'm touched by your beautiful tribute :love:

Please stay with us, and post when you can. He was a gorgeous little boy xx

Mimzmum, that's wonderful! Have a safe move out to Oregon. Lots of hugs to your elderly rabbits, may they live long long lives! The coast is gorgeous. I loved Cannon Beach when I visited. I'll be up in the West Linn area below Portland studying for a masters degree in music therapy. Rabbit Advocates are up there in the Portland and Vancouver area. I will definitely be volunteering with them and any other rabbity-themed volunteer group I can find!

MightyMax, thank you so much! I needed to find a place to still be active in the bunny world. Rabbits United Forum looks like a wonderful place filled with very obviously wonderful people. I will post for sure on what goes on with the Rabbit Advocates group up in Portland. They're holding a big faire called Bunny-Palooza that looks like so much fun. I hope I can attend!

And also a big thank you to everyone who has posted. Much hugs and love!

I'm so sorry :cry: he was gorgeous, and I'm sure he knew just how much he was loved.

Binky free Chester xx

Chester sounds as though he was a lovely rabbit with an enormous character. Thank you so much for telling us about him. I'm sure he knew what a wonderful life he had and how much he was loved.

I'm so very sorry that you lost him :cry: I hope all goes well with your Music Therapy studies. My daughter studied Music Therapy as part of her Music degree and I know how helpful this therapy can be.

Thank you so much. I really wish I could've saved him or done something different to catch this earlier, but I think everyone always wishes that no matter what the scenario.

So true! The house feels much emptier. I remember when Chester first arrived, you could feel this new presence in the house. My brother concurred with me, there was a huge difference in the feeling of the house.

I'm very familiar with the feeling, sadly. It will ease in time as the trauma of his passing lessens and the happy memories are once more the predominant ones. I am sure too that you will find great comfort in working to help other bunnies. An honourable tribute to say the least :) I do hope you'll keep us updated xx

Thank you Omi, and thank you for listening.

That's great to hear! Kudos to your daughter, a fellow musician. :) Music Therapy is becoming more and more mainstream, there's so much you can do with music, it's fantastic. Even Chester seemed to enjoy music, he'd change his behavior based on what I was playing. He'd run around excitedly to things like Scott Joplin or other ragtime pieces and hop around the piano. Relaxing things like Brahms waltzes, he'd go to his little spot on the carpet and flop with one ear up and one ear down. He looked like he was listening. :)

Thanks again to everyone who is posting. Reading these replies is really comforting. I appreciate you all taking the time to do so. Many hugs!

I'm very familiar with the feeling, sadly. It will ease in time as the trauma of his passing lessens and the happy memories are once more the predominant ones. I am sure too that you will find great comfort in working to help other bunnies. An honourable tribute to say the least :) I do hope you'll keep us updated xx

I'm sorry you had to go through losses like this, as well as everyone who has lost a family pet. It's so horrible. I never fully grasped how bad it is until yesterday.

I absolutely will! As soon as I get settled in I'll get in touch with Rabbit Advocates and see if I can attend Bunny-Palooza. It takes place in November. Looks like a big happy bunny party. Would love to see that. :) I'm excited to start some new bunny adventures. Chester pulled me in, there's no way I can leave the bunny world now!

Scott Joplin's so fun. :) I really like Euday L. Bowman and William Bolcom. Bolcom is known for Graceful Ghost Rag, Bowman for 12th street rag. Joplin of course for The Entertainer... Chester loved The Entertainer. Made me giggle when he'd zoom by as I played it. Graceful Ghost made him kinda sleepy. 12th street I have yet to learn but it's a pretty fantastic compostion.

Thank you tonibun. He was a great little guy. Every bunny is so unique and special, there will never be anyone like him again. :cry:

I wanna bunnypalooza :(

When I play my guitar the bunnies try to eat it, and when I play my flute they look at me like I've just sprouted a second head. Must learn piano :)

I do hope you'll stick around, RU is more than an advice forum - it's a genuine and lovely community of like-minded bunny folks.

Wishing you the best of luck xxx

I'm so sorry for your loss, he sounded like a wonderful little guy. It's lovely that you want to volunteer at some local sanctuaries :). I'd love to hear about the rabbits in Portland / Bunny-Palooza, when your settled. Good luck with your studies x

Back