• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Charlie, my brave little girl! UPDATE 28/07/2009 - she has gone to Rainbow Bridge now

Charlie is still doing well, though of course that's still "under the influence" of the steroids. But I am so pleased to see her happy and with a good appetite.

Vera

Last edited:
Sorry I missed this thread Vera

My Sarah Rabbit had an extra 11 months of good quality life thanks to ongoing steroids and Depocillin.
As I see it if the choice is steroids (and all the risks involved) or PTS why not take the risks with steroids.

I am so pleased that Charlie is feeling OK within herself :)

As I see it if the choice is steroids (and all the risks involved) or PTS why not take the risks with steroids.
Exactely my thoughts, Jane! The moment I feel that she is suffering unnecessarily with an unacceptable quality of life, I will make that last decision for her. But if steroids can delay that moment whilst giving Charlie a good quality of life, then I will certainly go down that route regardless of the possible risks.

Vera :)

I just wanted to give a little update.

Today is day 5 of the last steroid injection. My vet said it would last 5 - 7 days, so I am now of course on high alert. I am pleased to say that this morning, Charlie was still doing very well, eating for England, walking about... I think she is not happy that she doesn't get as much free runtime at the moment because I don't want her to bump into things when I can't supervise her (she is completely blind). She tries to escape from the cage at every opportunity... :lol:

Observings things closely this week, I do think that she has lost most or all of her sense of smell! I can put the food right in front of her and she doesn't know it's there! She usually comes running now when I shake the bowl with the pellets in or when she hears Magic eating... I am quite surprised actually that she is actually eating considering that she probably can't smell anything and with that taste very little! But it is another indication of course that there are things in her brain going on...

Vera

Sounds like she's a real little fighter!
Keep it up sweetie......nose rubs and bunny kisses from B & O
xx

I took her to the vet for another steroid injection. She started going downhill a little yesterday, but not enough to warrant an out-of-hours vet visit. This morning, she actually appeared better again, but I took her anyway. Depending on how things develop, it may well become a weekly thing.

But I am just so happy that she is still doing well.

Vera

Awww bless little Charlie Vinnie had a steriod injection yesterday because hes not been himself i cant belive the difference in him now,Hes just like his old self how often is she having the injections?

Awww bless little Charlie Vinnie had a steriod injection yesterday because hes not been himself i cant belive the difference in him now,Hes just like his old self how often is she having the injections?

Charlie had a 24-hour injection that lasted just about 12 hours, so she now has weekly injection lasting 5 - 7 days, and she has been doing very well on this. I am hoping that perhaps after another couple of weeks, she may not need them anymore (and how she was this morning was encouraging), but if it is a tumour or permanent thing, then she'll just have to stay on them for the rest of her life.

Vera

Charlie had a 24-hour injection that lasted just about 12 hours, so she now has weekly injection lasting 5 - 7 days, and she has been doing very well on this. I am hoping that perhaps after another couple of weeks, she may not need them anymore (and how she was this morning was encouraging), but if it is a tumour or permanent thing, then she'll just have to stay on them for the rest of her life.

Vera

Glad to hear shes a bit better,I will have to see if Vinnie goes downhill again then

I had an appointment scheduled last Monday for another steroid injection, however, Charlie went downhill again on Sunday and by the evening, I could wait no longer as she stopped eating and was in pain and I took Charlie in again for the injection. The vet was very nice and charged me only half an out-of-hours consultation fee as it took all of 30 seconds to get it done. :D

By the time we got home, Charlie was up and running again - literally, and she caught up with eating food as she was obviously very hungry.

Yesterday, Charlie was a lot quieter again and wasn't too keen to eat in the evening. It was only day 3 since the last steroid injection. In fact, Charlie's legs were getting quite wobbly and uncoordinated again as well, so I decided that we had come to the end of the road as the time period between injections was getting shorter and shorter, too short now, and I decided to have her put to sleep today unless there was a miraculous recovery.

This morning, she still looked quiet and disinterested and I still thought the time had finally come.

But when I came home from walking the dogs (I walk them at 6 am), I found her much perkier, very keen to eat, hopping fine and the sparkle back in her eyes... And I have yet again, postponed the last deed. She is obviously just not ready yet to go. :D :love:

Tomorrow morning I have an appointment for another steroid injection. I so hope she continues to do well. Of course for myself, but even more so for Magic. They are so very close and are almost always snuggled up to each other when resting.

Last edited:
Charlie had a fit last night, she literally threw herself around the cage and fell over backwards. Luckily I was there to stop her. I held her until she had calmed down, which she did fairly quickly... When I put her back into the cage near the bowl, she started to eat straight away and was absolutely fine after that! :love:

I was back at the vet's this morning for her scheduled steroid injection, which she got! We agreed to give her steroids every 5 days now, but if she gets worse in a shorter period of time, then it won't be fair on her to keep her going.

But for now, she is still happy, eating well and definitely enjoying Magic's company.

Vera

Charlie had a fit last night, she literally threw herself around the cage and fell over backwards. Luckily I was there to stop her. I held her until she had calmed down, which she did fairly quickly... When I put her back into the cage near the bowl, she started to eat straight away and was absolutely fine after that! :love:

I was back at the vet's this morning for her scheduled steroid injection, which she got! We agreed to give her steroids every 5 days now, but if she gets worse in a shorter period of time, then it won't be fair on her to keep her going.

But for now, she is still happy, eating well and definitely enjoying Magic's company.

Vera

Bless her :love:
This is just what it was like with my Sarah. The steroids really did buy her another 11 months of good quality life. There were a few wobbles along the way and I would think it was 'her time'. But then she would bounce back again. I really understand what you mean about the 'sparkle' in the eyes.
The day I let Sarah go her eyes were hollow and 'blank'. I knew it was time to say goodbye.

I hope Charlie continues to benefit from the relief the steroids bring for as long as possible.

must be such a difficult time for you. I do hope the steroids can keep her happy for a long time to come but you will know when the time comes if you need to let her go.
sening lots of vibes

Charlie had another seizure yesterday, but came out of it ok after a couple of minutes. Other than that she has been doing really well! She had another shot of steroids this morning, this time it is an even longer lasting one, so should keep her good for a week instead of the 5 days.

I also have to start giving her more veg etc. as she is not eating much hay now, though still very enthusiastic about the pellets and any greens. In fact, I will start giving her grass daily to maintain her fibre intake.

I am just glad she is still doing well. She also doesn't get stressed about the travelling anymore now, she is so used to it. :lol:

Vera

Charlie went back to the vet's today for her weekly jab!

She is doing so well and the new type of steroids that my vet used last week seem to be even better than the previous ones. We have not observed any seizures, she was never even slightly wobbly and her appetite is excellent (needs to be as she is very skinny, but I think she has put on weight last week as I pick fresh grass for her twice a day now in addition to everything else).

So little Charlie keeps soldiering on and it is good to see her so active and happy.

Vera

Back