• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Change in coat after spay

drmag

Young Bun
I had my lionhead lop spayed in February. She had a beautiful long gruff at the front and around her head but since she was spayed it has nearly completely gone. Replaced by shorter hair. Has this happenef to anyone else? If i knew this I may have waited a bit more to have her spayed.

Thanks

Rabbits moult around February so maybe this is the reason. You will have to wait and see how her next winter coat grows. :thumb:

I had my lionhead lop spayed in February. She had a beautiful long gruff at the front and around her head but since she was spayed it has nearly completely gone. Replaced by shorter hair. Has this happenef to anyone else? If i knew this I may have waited a bit more to have her spayed.

Thanks

Fur growth rate can be affected by many things, including hormonal changes. Having her spayed later is unlikely to have made a difference in that respect and depending on how old she is now a later spay can be higher risk as the Doe will have more fatty deposits making surgery somewhat more complicated and recovery time possibly more protracted. In Does spayed as adults then there is no benefit to delaying for 'cosmetic' reasons. As you probably know the risk of adenocarcinoma in entire adult Does is high, the sooner the spay is done the better.

Your Doe may be less fluffy, but that wont be detrimental to her health and welfare :)

I would have thought it was a seasonal coat change - nothing to do with the spay. My 3 lionhead crosses have much less fur at the moment than they had a couple of months ago - one has lost all her long fur so it doesn't even look like a lionhead coat now, but it will be back for winter.

Ok thanks so it may come back in winter. She was moulting 4 to 5 weeks back (which i think we have only noticed once in the 7 months we have had her.) This must be when she lost her long hair.
I was worried it was hormonal it has also been a major appearance change. I'll try post pictures when i get a chance.

Thanks all!

Back