• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cataracts

My 4 year old bun has just developed a mature cataract in one eye and the other eye looks like it will go the same way. There seem to be a lot of risks in surgery but risks doing nothing too. Did anyone’s buns get uveitis or glaucoma through untreated cataracts and if they get either of these things can drops stop the pain? I’m agonising over the surgery decision. Any help gratefully received. Emma x

My 4 year old bun has just developed a mature cataract in one eye and the other eye looks like it will go the same way. There seem to be a lot of risks in surgery but risks doing nothing too. Did anyone’s buns get uveitis or glaucoma through untreated cataracts and if they get either of these things can drops stop the pain? I’m agonising over the surgery decision. Anyw help gratefully received. Emma x

This thread is 7 years old so I have asked a Moderator to make your question into a new thread. More people are likely to respond :)

Santa does not post on here any more so she cannot respond to your question, but I have had Rabbits who developed cataracts. Only one went on to develop uveitis and glaucoma Ultimately he did loose his eye but he coped very well without it. His cataract was due to EC, all of my Rabbits who developed Cataracts due to age ( ie being 8-10 years old ) did not develop any other issues and they adjusted well to their gradual loss of vision.

Hi Emma,

I have a blind bunny, hers is actually through EC related Uveitis though she has never given any indication it causes her discomfort or pain. She is a very brave & capable bunny, much braver than my other 2. She can do almost everything she used to (she is a free roaming house bunny) but doesn't jump on to as higher places (eg windowsils) as previously & does sometimes bump in to things.

From being on here a good few years it seems most bunnies manage cataracts really well. If it were my bunny I wouldn't go for the op (unless they appeared not to be coping) but I can appreciate its a difficult decision & I wish you luck with it.

Worth doing e cuniculi blood test for cataract?

Hi all,
So my 4yr old bun Hermione has a cataract in one eye and we think one starting in the other eye too. She could have a blood test for e cuniculi but I’m very nervous about her being sedated for it which the vet says they would have to do as she is a very stressy bun! My question is- if she has no other symptoms is it likely the cataract is due to e cuniculi? Is it worth testing her? I’m just trying to put her through as little stress as possible and I know ec is just one of many causes of cataracts. Thanks all x

Thank you that has reassured me. We could do a blood test for her for e cuniculi but is it likely to be this if she has no other symptoms? I’m also nervous about her being sedated for the blood test (vet says we would have to as she is a very easily stressed out hun) is it worth it? Especially if there are a million and one reasons she could have a cataract? Thank you so much for you help x

TBH I really don't know too much about cataracts in general & their proportionate relationship to EC. I personally wouldn't worry about sedating a bun for bloods to be taken, I expect they'll just give her enough to chill her out? But your vet would be the one to answer that. Maybe you're vet would be happy to treat with panacur in the absence of a test. Others will know more about this I'm sure.

I have 3 buns & they all get treated every 3 months with panacur (just 10 days) as a preventative . This is on vet advice. Mouse is about 10, she had an EC episode with head tilt prior to our adopting her in 2015 but touch wood she has had no episodes since. Boo is 8-9 (my blind bunny) got what my vet diagnosed as EV related uveitis really suddenly. She is, or was, a red eyed bunny - I don't even know what cataracts look like in a REW - I'll have to google that. She didn't have any symptoms other than her eye & looking unhappy :( Joey is 10.5 & just has panacur cos he's had contact with lots of wives who had EC. Touch wood he's never shown any sign of having active infection.

Forgive me - I can't scroll back to check - is she otherwise healthy?

Thank you that’s really helpful. Yup she is otherwise healthy. She had snuffles mildly a short time ago but cleared up after antibiotics for three weeks.

Hi all,
So my 4yr old bun Hermione has a cataract in one eye and we think one starting in the other eye too. She could have a blood test for e cuniculi but I’m very nervous about her being sedated for it which the vet says they would have to do as she is a very stressy bun! My question is- if she has no other symptoms is it likely the cataract is due to e cuniculi? Is it worth testing her? I’m just trying to put her through as little stress as possible and I know ec is just one of many causes of cataracts. Thanks all x

I posted this in your other thread

Scroll down to ‘Uveitis and diseases of the lens’ on here

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7152055/

I have merged your 2 threads as they are both on the same subject and we don’t allow duplicate threads.

I had a rabbit that developed cataracts due to EC, it was his only symptom (we did find out later when he had a CT scan he also had one non functioning kidney although this never caused any issues). The first mature cataract developed within a few days of first appearing and not long after the same happened to the other eye. He was not coping at all and we opted for surgery (lens replacement, both eyes).

This is my thread about it: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?443078-Bunny-Cataracts-advice-on-options

Back