• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat/Feral Cat Warning re Rabbits

i have catr and because they are quite friendly with the bunnies and also ruby bunny likes to chase them i have to be extra careful in mysgarden. my garden isn't suitable for free ranging but i have to make sure my run is weighted down with a large piece of worktop as we have lots of cats who take a lot of interest in the bunnies.
Fortunate my cats are incapable of catching birds and mice and things, they do chase frogs though but so far have not been able to harm any. Poor worms and slugs though,they are all my cats bring in fob me..ewww

I recently posted asking if anyone knew of any cat deterrents. I'm moving next week and I'm really worried as I know there are cats around (one in particular has been seen playing with dead or dying birds in the garden).
I'm not overly worried about my rabbits as they will be penned in unless we're home but my chicken enclosure won't have a roof on and a cat could easily get in.
Chickens are feisty things but I've seen how much damage cats can do and this thread only reinforces the idea. :(

I recently posted asking if anyone knew of any cat deterrents. I'm moving next week and I'm really worried as I know there are cats around (one in particular has been seen playing with dead or dying birds in the garden).
I'm not overly worried about my rabbits as they will be penned in unless we're home but my chicken enclosure won't have a roof on and a cat could easily get in.
Chickens are feisty things but I've seen how much damage cats can do and this thread only reinforces the idea. :(

I would make a frame out of chicken wire as a roof, even some net curtain or garden netting from the garden centre. I did have problems with cats where I used to live and wouldn't risk the rabbits free ranging without the dog sweeping the garden first and even then I missed a cat a couple of times, he was so crafty and camouflaged, I only spotted him because the rabbit out at the time thumped, straight away I knew what it would be, that's why I let them free range but only when I was there. Here I haven't seen one cat in my back garden and it shows, we have had baby robins, we currently have 2 baby wood pigeons, 3 baby blue ****, 3 baby blackbirds (have gone now I think) all spending the day here, I think they know it's safe, we also have 3 squirrels who entertain the buns by running around like mad things :lol:

I would make a frame out of chicken wire as a roof, even some net curtain or garden netting from the garden centre:lol:

The only place they are allowed to go is underneath a tree, so a roof isn't a viable option. We've already lined up a home in case the cat proves to be a problem. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

The only place they are allowed to go is underneath a tree, so a roof isn't a viable option. We've already lined up a home in case the cat proves to be a problem. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Underneath a tree, isn't the cat likely to climb the tree and maybe jump down into the chicken run? How come you can't use some sort of netting?

Underneath a tree, isn't the cat likely to climb the tree and maybe jump down into the chicken run? How come you can't use some sort of netting?

yeah that's the exact problem. It would be a huge pain to put netting all through the branches of the tree and we try to clean them out every day so putting it up and taking it down every day would be a huge pain. We're hoping we can deter the cat with citrus stuff and when we move in I'll be out in the garden for a few days solid bonding the rabbits so I'll sit there with a hose and spray it every time I see it until it learns not to come back.

yeah that's the exact problem. It would be a huge pain to put netting all through the branches of the tree and we try to clean them out every day so putting it up and taking it down every day would be a huge pain. We're hoping we can deter the cat with citrus stuff and when we move in I'll be out in the garden for a few days solid bonding the rabbits so I'll sit there with a hose and spray it every time I see it until it learns not to come back.

I'm probably being a bit thick but the chickens are going under a tree in what a chicken run or free range?

a run - We're just going to fence off a bit.

Why can't you just peg some net over the top of it then, you'll only need to lift a small piece to climb in. Just confused - I am sure you will look after them anyway, fingers crossed you won't get a problem.

I have two cats and I havent really thought about other cats (or mine) hurting the bunnies. They are out in the garden with me if they are not in the runs - they are in an open top pen when on the grass.

I will be extra vigilant now... my cats are pretty scared of the bunnies but I did catch one of my cats getting scared and using her paw on one of my bunnies so I think even in fright a cat can hurt a bunny.

Why can't you just peg some net over the top of it then, you'll only need to lift a small piece to climb in. Just confused - I am sure you will look after them anyway, fingers crossed you won't get a problem.

the branches of the tree start just below the planned height of the fence and are quite thick. to clean it all I'd need to be able to walk right around the tree so would need to take all the netting off.
as we haven't moved in yet we haven't really thought about it in great detail but thanks for the suggestions, I'll put some more thought in to it when we set it up!

the branches of the tree start just below the planned height of the fence and are quite thick. to clean it all I'd need to be able to walk right around the tree so would need to take all the netting off.
as we haven't moved in yet we haven't really thought about it in great detail but thanks for the suggestions, I'll put some more thought in to it when we set it up!

Best of luck, you could always get a cockerel, I am sure those claws could see off a cat:lol:

Yeh im just as conerned about cats as foxes if my buns are free range thats why they are only free range supervised. My cats are housecats unless supervised in the garden with me, they dont go out of my garden.

Over the last couple of weeks there's been a cat in my garden most days. I'm guessing its just a new cat somone's got as its quite small - not much bigger than Walter lol. It seems quite friendly and I've seen it sat on top of the run once or twice, but I can't see it being able to get in. The buns don't seem to mind it, and it was more interested in the water bottle (they have a bowl that they mostly use, so if it gets knocked off they probably wouldn't even notice).

I am keeping an eye on it though, and when I put them in their run on the grass that doesn't have a secure top on it I didn't leave them alone for even a minute. Hopefully it'll be nice and just carry on ignoring them and it'll keep other cats away. Otherwise I'll have to get the hosepipe out!

we have three house cats in the neighbourhood, 2 will go for the bunnies if given the option, one ignores them. I don't generally let the buns free range unless I am there, if I do have to pop in to the house I make sure the windows are open that I can hear any noise. Thankfully the cat would have to approach via a long approach to get to the bunnies so they see them coming and make a big noise & the cat would also have to jump over a low level fence (90 cm) that would not support it's weight. Thankfully the fence seems a little high for them to want to jump straight over and the fact that it is very wobbly makes them unwilling to climb it.

we have three house cats in the neighbourhood, 2 will go for the bunnies if given the option, one ignores them. I don't generally let the buns free range unless I am there, if I do have to pop in to the house I make sure the windows are open that I can hear any noise. Thankfully the cat would have to approach via a long approach to get to the bunnies so they see them coming and make a big noise & the cat would also have to jump over a low level fence (90 cm) that would not support it's weight. Thankfully the fence seems a little high for them to want to jump straight over and the fact that it is very wobbly makes them unwilling to climb it.

Housecats? Im confused!

Back