• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can't beat the infection!! A trip to the vets tonight...

Hmm,
I was told that if snot is coming out of both nostrils it means it is more likely to be an infection than anything more sinister. (I guess if you've already had a swab done and know it's an infection then that shouldn't be a concern anyway.)
Meanwhile, I've had some advice from Belinda at 'Galen's garden' who makes herbal remedies for bunnies(and people). For the congestion she recommended using olbas oil/children's vick somewhere out of the reach of the rabbit, but where they can inhale the fumes.

Hi All

Have just received a phone call from the vets to say that the third swab results are back and that it reveals that there is also some staphylococcus present as well as a gram negative bacteria. Does anyone know what this means? I will find out more tonight, armed with my trusty note book :roll:

Well apparently the sensitivity test still says baytril will work which obviously isn't the case as now the discharge comes down both nostrils and I'm convinced her eyes look saw. The vet has advised that we move her onto the tetracycline injections (every 3 days) to see if that works.

I just feel really disappointed as I was hoping for something more concrete. Has anyone had good results with tetracycline?

Once again would really appreciate all the help you can offer :) x x x x

No help re. antibiotics i'm afraid - but gram negative bacteria are just a particluar group of bacterium along a spectrum and they're only called 'gram' as in how they show up on staining - it's to do with their make up at a cellular level, staph aureus is a gram positive bacteria. It sounds like your bun would benefit perhaps from a broad spectrum antibiotic that works on both types....I don't know how baytril works? I think tetracycline would be helpful but I have no experience of this in rabbits. I hope it works:)

No help re. antibiotics i'm afraid - but gram negative bacteria are just a particluar group of bacterium along a spectrum and they're only called 'gram' as in how they show up on staining - it's to do with their make up at a cellular level, staph aureus is a gram positive bacteria. It sounds like your bun would benefit perhaps from a broad spectrum antibiotic that works on both types....I don't know how baytril works? I think tetracycline would be helpful but I have no experience of this in rabbits. I hope it works:)

Thank you so much for explaining that to me, my appointment is at 6.15 and its good to go armed with a bit more knowledge. Sometimes i just get overwhelmed, by the end of this I think I may be an antibiotic encyclopedia :roll: lol

Thank you again :)

Apparently, sensitivity tests which show what antibiotics respond to, only give half the answer- as they won't necessarily respond the same when they're in a rabbit. To do with the mucus or something that surrounds the colony of bacteria and whether or not the antibiotic can actually penetrate it to get at the bugs.

That does make a lot of sense. I should think different rabbits will respond to different antibiotics....much like in humans. It may just be a question of trial and error in this case with the help of your vet:)

Hi All

Have just received a phone call from the vets to say that the third swab results are back and that it reveals that there is also some staphylococcus present as well as a gram negative bacteria. Does anyone know what this means? I will find out more tonight, armed with my trusty note book :roll:

Well apparently the sensitivity test still says baytril will work which obviously isn't the case as now the discharge comes down both nostrils and I'm convinced her eyes look saw. The vet has advised that we move her onto the tetracycline injections (every 3 days) to see if that works.

I just feel really disappointed as I was hoping for something more concrete. Has anyone had good results with tetracycline?

Once again would really appreciate all the help you can offer :) x x x x

A long acting Tetracycline may be very useful in treating your Bun's URTI.

'Santa' on here has a little Nethie...called Santa :lol:.......who has chronic Snuffles (due to tooth root elongation) and apparently she responds very well to a long acting Tetracycline.

Just got back from the vets and Hibby has been put on Tetracycline (every 3 days) for the next two weeks. Is this long enough?

Thanks again for all the help. That does make sense about the antibiotics, we have only ever tried her on baytril so perhaps I shouldn't be so worried and fingers crossed this new one will work. Thanks for the advice Jane.

I defiantly going to look into some herbal remedies and hopefully they will have an impact.

It is great to know that even with the occasional snuffle that bunnies on here live a very healthy and happy life :)

But I'm crossing everything that this will work :love::love::love:

I'll update when I know a bit more (hopefully to tell you its worked) x x x x

Hi Blue was put on a course of Engemycin and the snuffles returned after a month.He has just had another course and now my vet has advised me to give him an injection once a week for life to keep the snuffles at bay

Hi All,

Just to update Hibby has been on 2 weeks of Tetracycline and the sneezing has stopped :) The vet has advised we go for one more week just to really try and get rid of it. She seems much better in herself and wants to be near us again now I am not catching her for Baytril twice a day :roll:

I am just so nervous that as soon as we stop the infections that it will come back, so fingers crossed........

Does anyone know what a sensible course length for the injections would be? I just don't want to stop too early :shock:

Sorry for not replying to you PM Poppy :oops: The information was great, so thank you

x x x x x x

so glad to hear that:D i took eric every other day for 2 and a half weeks and it did the trick - touches wood:D i still keep a close eye on him but the very occasional bunny sneeze is now all i get:)

Back