• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can rabbits know their names?

Poppy & Jenson always come running in from the garden when I call their names, but they know that a fenugreek crunchie or pellets are awaiting them. I have never tried calling just one name, so will have to test them! I also tend to whistle a couple of times before I call them. They are so good now that they will even come in during the day if I need to go out to get shopping.

I'm sure Bugsy knows the word No and "don't" as he seems to think it's ok to tug my dress/skirt with his teeth when he wants a treat ( which is most of the time!) However he never seems to make a hole!

Finx knows her name, if she goes out of sight when free ranging I just call and she pops out from whatever corner she was hidden in.
Pepper will listen if I call 'PepperPepper!' but he only comes running if I shake the pellets.
I think Tango is more intelligent than he pretends to be, he ignores his name but follows Finx when she is called, in case she is getting something good!

Mine respond to 'bunnies' or if I make weird kissy noises. Don't think they know their individual names, I normally call them to me together so they haven't really needed to learn them :)

Rosie definitely knows her name. She will even look around if the name Rosie is mentioned on tv and look confused. She also knew bobby was called Bobby as when we spoke about him in the days that followed his passing she periscoped a couple of times as if she was looking for him. I'm not sure Bobby knew his name as he was half deaf!

Oh and Rosie responds to a whistle as for the first few months when I got my bunnies as babies I whistled when I had treats and then as they got older I did the same for pellets. So if I want Rosie to go back to her enclosure no matter where she is in the house she will come running. Bobby I used to do the same. I usually reward with a pellet or two to reinforce :)

Unfortunately this doesn't work in the garden. Rosie becomes selectively deaf . Lol :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I don't think mine know their names, or if they do then they choose to ignore them :roll:

All of them understand 'no' though - if I catch them going near a plug or somewhere they're not supposed to be and I say no sternly, they will move away and hop off flicking their feet at me :lol:

My lot know their names, they raise their ears and turn them to the direction of my voice if I call their names. Orla especially responds and will coming running over after one call. I always assumed that if you have had the rabbit for a longish time and you have a good bond that it is normal that they recognize the sound or tone of their name as it is spoken by the owner.

Our three know their names, but will ignore you if they're doing something naughty!

They also know breakfast, dinner, ah-ah (when being naughty :roll:), and a weird "click click, whistle whistle" thing my husband does when he's giving them treats.

I really think bunnies are cleverer than we give them credit for!

Our three know their names, but will ignore you if they're doing something naughty!

They also know breakfast, dinner, ah-ah (when being naughty :roll:), and a weird "click click, whistle whistle" thing my husband does when he's giving them treats.

They really are! So smart, especially when you tell them no and they heel kick and walk away :lol:

My animals always know when they're doing something naughty. Even if I tell the wrong one off, the one who's being naughty stops what they were doing while the others all ignore me :lol:

Charlie binkies when I call his name when he's being naughty :evil::lol:

My animals always know when they're doing something naughty. Even if I tell the wrong one off, the one who's being naughty stops what they were doing while the others all ignore me :lol:

Charlie binkies when I call his name when he's being naughty :evil::lol:

Yep, Echo does this! :roll:
He tried "testing" the furniture the other day - I shouted his name and clapped my hands - he then binkied halfway across the livingroom!! Those pesky rabbits know EXACTLY what they're up to! :roll::lol::lol:

Yep, Echo does this! :roll:
He tried "testing" the furniture the other day - I shouted his name and clapped my hands - he then binkied halfway across the livingroom!! Those pesky rabbits know EXACTLY what they're up to! :roll::lol::lol:

Exactly what my candy does! They know what they're doing! X

My 2 girls respond to their names, they also respond to "girls!" and "breakfast!" and the key being rattled in the shed door lock :lol:

Back