• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits have a little straw?

anaveragemuppet

Wise Old Thumper
I only ask as I have straw for my gerbils,obviously we went a bit ott and got quite a big bag for them, I wondered if Zeke could have some? In future I think I'll give them all hay, as the gerbils can have both, but they have plenty of wood and cardbord to keep their teeth down.

So, anyway, Can rabbits ever have straw?

Yes, it's a better insulator for bedding and it's fine to eat too. It's higher fibre than hay but short on the other nutrients they need which is why it's not used as feed usually.

Yes, it's a better insulator for bedding and it's fine to eat too. It's higher fibre than hay but short on the other nutrients they need which is why it's not used as feed usually.

Thank you! OK, so if I feed every other day it's ok? He's indoor at the moment, he will eventually go outside when we move, then in an outhouse when the colder months come. I didn't know if it was bad for them. Just thought he may as well have some to use it up! When we move and have space, I'm going to get bulk orders from the dust free hay company, can have five bales of hay and five of straw. It'll be worth getting that combo now I know it's ok. xxx

You'd need to be careful that he's not eating lots of straw and his hay intake goes down and he misses out on nutrients but just nibbling a bit is fine. Make sure he always has hay too though. I give mine straw in addition for bedding in winter.

Yes its ok, and its really warm too. Mine have their upstairs covered in straw and the downstairs covered in hay :)

hi

You will have to be very careful while feeding your rabbit as some of the rabbits are very selective and so you should feed them different veggies look for both dark leafy veggies and root vegetables, and try to get different colors. Stay away from beans and rhubarb.

Straw is fine, some people use it for bedding because as Tamsin said, it's a better insulator. I used it for my outdoor buns in their sleeping quarters but also put a big bunch of hay in there for them to nibble on. As long as he is eating plenty of hay too it's fine :)

I was thinking it would just be a handfull once a week.

He's on septrin at the moment for a poorly lip. The vet says not to give him any fruit or much veg until wednesday when he's been on them a week, what do you guys think? I'm trying to limit his pellets, he's been here since tuesday 5pm and he's eaten about six bowls full, though he's still eating hay. But I'd like to drop down to just one bowlful as I'm also weaning him from what he was on (a museli with pea in the title?) to burgess supa excel for baby/mini rabbits, though I think after the bag I've got I may go to the adult one as they say feed it from 15 weeks I think? and he's about 11 weeks old, so I don't think he should stay on the baby food for too long.:wave::wave:

Smudge has straw as her bedding and I have noticed that she nibbles away on that sometimes... I guess they just like to have different things :roll:

Back