• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits be jealous?

Dons1975

New Kit
Hi
I have a 1 year old female dutch rabbit who has been neutered. She is very loving but also a bit of a rascal;)
She is like my shadow and follows me everywhere i go at the moment she is lying sleeping on my chest when i am supposed to be doing housework. I am guilty of giving her what she wants and if she scratches to get in i jump straight up for her, my worry is i am pregnant with my first child due in may and many people have commented that she will be jealous of the baby. Is this true and what can I do to stop this happening? Obviously she will still get loads of attention but not as much as now. Will she be ok with baby? Wont leave them unattended or anything!
Thanks

2 words ohhhhhhhhhh yush :lol:,

there are lots of people on here due babies, im one and i have 4 house bunnies :D, its the same with all animals you introduce them, 2 of mine have seen a baby my nephew, doc took more interest in the pooy nappy than the baby while beth just "claimed" him by chinning his head and toes,

also neutering will calm your bun down lots, plus its spring very soon a lot of buns are going through the nutty hormones stage at this time of year :D

getting her a neutered freind should help lessen the demands on you and make you feel less guilty too :D

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply!! She has now woken up and attacking me with her tounge!! Think i will let her go for a run about the hall as lounge not exactly bunny or child friendly!

Think bunnies can be jealous of other bunnies,but not sure about babies or anything else really.Im sure your bun will be fine as long as she still gets her cuddles.:D

I'm not sure she'll be jealous as such but she is clearly a bunny that loves company and may not be too impressed when she doesn't get the attention she is used to. Have you considered a neutered male to keep her company so its not such a demand on you? Obviously you love her to pieces and enjoy fussing her but its only natural that the baby is going to take up alot of your time too.

I've a Netherland dwarf who's three and she's a very jealous little lady. My friend came to visit with her baby recently and when she handed me the baby, Misty went mad, thumping and banging and growling and generally running riot. I also have a three year old nephew who comes to visit and gets growled at. When I handle the guinea pigs she tries to headbutt them: and even if my husband gives my a hug there's an occasional stomp. So yes, I'd say your bunny might be jealous.:)
I think the suggestion of a friend was a good one, though - might distract her!
Good luck!

Back