• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can One Rabbit actually be so scared of another?

Furballs

Young Bun
I have two rabbits who were sucessfully bonded for 4 months before the bond broke down. See my previous thread below:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?358971-Fighting-Breaks-Out-Advice-Needed

Following my last attempt to rebond them I decided that is was just not going to work as he was becoming petrified of her. I even then got as far as finding her a new home (on the condition that she would bond with their rabbit) but unfortunatley after a couple of days the new owner decided this was not going to work, and therefore I went to get her and brought her home! She is now in a completely different part of the house away from him.
After she went off to her new home, he was still very scared and refused to even come out of his cage. For a week he sat there is a completely depressed state which I initially put down to the fact that he was missing her. It was only then on one of his odd ventures out on Sunday that I noticed that as soon as he went near their tube that they normally play in, he froze in fear and jumped back in his cage. I removed the tube and their normal play boxes, and replaced all the boxes with new ones, and he is like a completely changed rabbit - back to his normal self, jumping out and playing, running up and down stairs. It was as if because he could smell her he thought she was still there!
I just wondered if anyone else has had an experience like this before??

To give you an ideal of their personalilities:
Harvey - he is actually a bit of a wuss. Has always been a timid rabbit, sometimes even afraid of his own shadow, but very loving.
Misty - She does'nt give two hoots about anything in the world and all she really wants to do is run around and play.

I had started to consider another rebond, but am thinking this is not the way to go.

Sounds exactly like my two babies...the boy is very nervous but loving, and she is just a little scallywag getting into everything.

Still have to try bonding them so will watch this thread with interest.

Their personalities just don't match.

I have to admit that I think you are probably right! although they were bonded for 4 months without any fights. I have to admit though he did sometimes look at her as if he wished she would just go away and leave him alone!

Back