• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can I trim rabbits teeth at home

I have a 4 year old lop eared rabbit and I have noticed that one of her bottom tooth has overgrown and is over the top teeth and I can’t get to a vet I was wondering if I can do it at home I was thinking of using a nail file instead of clippers as they might break her tooth she is still eating and acting normal or will the tooth grind down if I get her wooden blocks from the pet shop

I have a 4 year old lop eared rabbit and I have noticed that one of her bottom tooth has overgrown and is over the top teeth and I can’t get to a vet I was wondering if I can do it at home I was thinking of using a nail file instead of clippers as they might break her tooth she is still eating and acting normal or will the tooth grind down if I get her wooden blocks from the pet shop

Please don't do that :(

You could slip, she could move, you could break the tooth.. So so risky - she really needs to see a vet - will you be able to get her to see one?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hello

Clipping the teeth yourself could do a lot of damage, including damage to the tooth enamel and causing infection and tooth root abscesses :cry: So please do not do it. A Vet will be able to check your Bunny's back teeth too. The best thing you can do to help your Bunny is to find a way to obtain Veterinary treatment for her.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/dental-problems/

Are you in the UK ?

Even though I am ashamed to admit this, I am sharing this so you do not repeat my mistake.

About eighteen years ago, my spouse and I were given a bunny who had misaligned front teeth. Upon arriving home, her lower teeth were very long and extended out of her mouth and her top teeth were long too. We took her to the vet and the vet trimmed her teeth with appropriate equipment and skill. My vet was able to do this without anesthesia. After a few trimmings, only her top incisors required trimming.

My work schedule made it very difficult to get to the vets every 8 weeks so I got an electric tool that had the correct speed and the same dental burr the vet used in his tool and I decided to trim them at home. My spouse would have to hold Dancer while I held her mouth with one hand and trimmed her incisors. It was NOT as easy as it looked when the vet did it. I had to keep her tongue and lips out of the way with one hand while not twisting her neck, at the same time I was maneuvering the bit with the other; all while my spouse was keeping Dancer still. After several home trimmings, I used too much pressure and one of her upper teeth cracked off slightly closer to the gum than were I was cutting, exposing some pulp and a couple drops of blood. So, I then had to take her to an emergency vet. They cleaned up the break and she got pain meds. After that, I only had her teeth trimmed by the vet. Not only did it prevent another unfortunate mishap, it was also less stressful for Dancer, me and my spouse.

I do not recommend trimming/filing teeth at home, either manually or with any tools. Filing would also produce heat and could be uncomfortable and dangerous.

Last edited:
No, this is very dangerous and not a risk worth taking. You want a rabbit savvy vet. It takes training, skill, experience and the right tools.

Not to mention, the rabbit's back teeth need checking as well so she needs a vet visit anyway.

When I was a little kid our vet recommended my parents clip teeth at home after some vet visits for trimming our rabbit's front teeth.

Looking back, I'm shocked. Terrible vet advice. It's just lucky nothing horrible happened while clipping her teeth.

As with everything, things that look easy with an expert doing them actually take a great deal of skill and experience, and the right tools.

Please don't try to clip or file the teeth yourself. It can cause a lot of damage and could result in a much more serious problem and more expense eg if the tooth root is damaged which may then need extraction under general anaesthetic, followed by further dental intervention as the remaining teeth no longer align and grind properly.

Rabbit teeth grow continually and there are ways of managing them so that future interventions can be reduced. Please use a vet - they have the expertise to deal with this properly and advise on what you can do to manage it together.

Back