• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anyone help? Unplanned babies and unexpected behaviour

Miller4+4

New Kit
Hello

I was hoping someone could help me. I recently purchased two male bunnies to live as house bunnies. All was well until I sent them for neutering around 3 weeks ago. It was at this time we discovered that one was actually female. The bunnies were separated whilst we waited for the boys op to fully kick in. Valentines day morning, we realised that they had already done the deed before being separated.

The four babies are now seven days old. Three are looking healthy with a good covering of white fur. The fourth is not as big and only has a little amount of fur on his head. The first question is, is there anything I can do to support the smallest or do I have to just let nature run its course? The Mum does not appear to be actively neglecting it.

The second question I have surrounds some odd behavior the Mum has developed over the past few days. She has become very protective of a big pile of straw she has created at the other end of the cage. I removed it all yesterday whilst cleaning the toilet area. This evening, she has created it once again from her hay feeder. She was extremely protective of the pile today and her babies. She was very jumpy. Whilst changing her water, filling up her food bowl and replacing the shavings in her cage, she would jump forward with both paws out and gently, (ish), bite me a few times.

Am I doing something wrong or is she trying to tell me something?

She has always been a little jumpy but has never bitten me or been this on edge.

Hello

I was hoping someone could help me. I recently purchased two male bunnies to live as house bunnies. All was well until I sent them for neutering around 3 weeks ago. It was at this time we discovered that one was actually female. The bunnies were separated whilst we waited for the boys op to fully kick in. Valentines day morning, we realised that they had already done the deed before being separated.

The four babies are now seven days old. Three are looking healthy with a good covering of white fur. The fourth is not as big and only has a little amount of fur on his head. The first question is, is there anything I can do to support the smallest or do I have to just let nature run its course? The Mum does not appear to be actively neglecting it.

The second question I have surrounds some odd behavior the Mum has developed over the past few days. She has become very protective of a big pile of straw she has created at the other end of the cage. I removed it all yesterday whilst cleaning the toilet area. This evening, she has created it once again from her hay feeder. She was extremely protective of the pile today and her babies. She was very jumpy. Whilst changing her water, filling up her food bowl and replacing the shavings in her cage, she would jump forward with both paws out and gently, (ish), bite me a few times.

Am I doing something wrong or is she trying to tell me something?

She has always been a little jumpy but has never bitten me or been this on edge.

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm pushed for time right now, but here's a bit of reading ......

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

You didn't get your rabbits from Pets@Home?

Thank you. This is very helpful.

I made the mistake of getting them from a private breeder. I wouldn't usually do this but they were 16 weeks and failing to find another home. Pets at home did the neutering of Leo :)

Thank you. This is very helpful.

I made the mistake of getting them from a private breeder. I wouldn't usually do this but they were 16 weeks and failing to find another home. Pets at home did the neutering of Leo :)

You're very welcome!

Good on you for taking them :)

I hope you can cope with the outcome!! :)

Hello there. Mum is gently telling you to keep your distance as she will be very protective of her babies. Some does can be very aggressive. I don't know why she has made another nest but what concerns me at the minute is you say she is pulling straw from the hay feeder. Does she also have hay as well as straw as hay is the important one. Also please make sure your shavings are not too dusty for when the babies start to run around as this can cause a runny nose. Best to cover it with some newspaper or not use it at all as some shavings give off toxic fumes. This sounds a bit critical and I am sorry for that, but with the babies you need to be getting things right as it could affect the rest of their life. There is usually a runt in a litter, so possibly the smaller baby is one of these and should pick up in time. Please don't be afraid of asking any other questions you might have. Just a thought - when a doe has had babies, her hormones are on overdrive and she is possibly getting the other nest ready for a second litter, so please don't remove it for now. She won't be ready for spaying for another 3 months as they can feed their babies up to 12 weeks, not that you need to do this. 3 months is being considerate to her feelings.

Back