• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anyone help at Kirkby Rescue, Notts?

that animal accident place are really helpful. When i had a pregnant cat a long time ago they were very helpful with advice and gave me a voucher for her spay. I was going to adopt a cat off them but the fosterer fell in love with it so never got it. They were also a great help when we found a poorly hedgehog in our back garden and sent out a volunteer driver. My mum got chatting to him and he said he was a volunteer and i think he was only paid his fuel which was covered through donations.

I would love to volunteer at the rescue again but i am so busy at weekends. If you plan a big volunteer day i can see if i can make it too.

Ill give them a ring and see if one of their volunteer drivers, would volunteer for Celia taking them for neutering. We could raise the mileage allowance if it wasnt free.

Ill update once I have spoken to them.

Beki, well done for offering to do a day's volunteering there. I wonder if there is one planned soon. Perhaps someone can update please.

Well done to those, who are already helping.

We should be able to find a volunteer driver, who is an animal lover, in the whole of Nottingham. I think we perhaps should not focus on finding someone off this forum for that and brainstorm other options.

Ive emailed an Animal liberation site in Nottingham (not fanatics just awareness) to see if they can advise how we might find one.

Has anyone from Nottingham heard of this organisation, who do have volunteer drivers

http://www.animalaccident.org.uk/?page_id=15

Im wondering if it would be worth contacting them to see if one of their volunteer drivers could help. I know Suzanne has offered to pay for one trip with a commercial company, but it looks expensive. It would be cheaper to pay 40p a mile expenses to a volunteer driver. We would have to ensure that we are not responsible for insurance etc with a disclaimer, but could seek advice on that if we manage to find a volunteer.

Ideas please.

I used to foster for them when I lived in Nottingham. It's certainly worth asking.

I will help if someone organizes a day to help Celia. I can't help on a regular basis as I m 2 hours from Nottingham.

Mandy thats great. If there is a day planned, can someone update the thread as two people want to join the day.

Well now I am gonna sound like I have my fingers in all the pies!:oops:

However, my partner Jon is a trustee for Animal Accident Rescue Unit (and I suppose that is how it all bloomin well started!) We have a lot to do with them as a lot of the animals that are rescued via them end up here. They are REALLY short of drivers and volunteers at the moment sadly so invariably there is no one to pick up anything that is injured let alone do vet runs for other charities.

Bottom line is that there is too few people that rescue animals and only tonight I have been on the phone to someone to talk about bats and he just said that because there are so few people then the few people there are just get swamped and deluged and then give up or can't cope with it all :cry:

On an up note, Celia has had some help today:)

Well now I am gonna sound like I have my fingers in all the pies!:oops:

However, my partner Jon is a trustee for Animal Accident Rescue Unit (and I suppose that is how it all bloomin well started!) We have a lot to do with them as a lot of the animals that are rescued via them end up here. They are REALLY short of drivers and volunteers at the moment sadly so invariably there is no one to pick up anything that is injured let alone do vet runs for other charities.

Bottom line is that there is too few people that rescue animals and only tonight I have been on the phone to someone to talk about bats and he just said that because there are so few people then the few people there are just get swamped and deluged and then give up or can't cope with it all :cry:

On an up note, Celia has had some help today:)

Well there goes my idea:lol:

Ill put my thinking cap back on.

Ill give them a ring and see if one of their volunteer drivers, would volunteer for Celia taking them for neutering. We could raise the mileage allowance if it wasnt free.

Ill update once I have spoken to them.

Beki, well done for offering to do a day's volunteering there. I wonder if there is one planned soon. Perhaps someone can update please.

Just thought I'd better let you all know, the group of volunteers that used to go on a regular basis haven't abandoned Celia, but all the repairs etc have been done, apart from the odd hinge etc that needs replacing.

Tracy goes every Friday, Len (Art) goes most weeks and he takes care of the repairs, she has someone go on Thursday and Loosy at the weekends, it's the feeding on the days when she's on her own and the vet runs she struggles with, unfortunately Denise, Suzanne, Poly and myself all work full time and cannot go in the week, also Celia is not on any of our doorsteps, so when we arrive it's normally late morning:?

She has now got another volunteer that Started yesterday and he's willing to go on Saturdays.

Tracy is now going to keep Rabbit rehome updated, so some of us can take a back seat and raise much needed funds to help pay for the 27 bucks she has that need neuters before rehoming and to also clear the vet bill for over 100 myxi vacs that she had done last month:cry:

We are all on standby for whenever Celia needs us:D especially if it's for a sick bun etc:cry:

Adding to what Sue has said, with Celia being so full at the moment she could do with some fosterers who could be on 'standby' to take buns that urgently need a rescue place just until Celia has space to take them in herself. Rabbits who are not urgent (ie not in danger or facing death if Celia won't take them straight away :cry:) will go on her waiting list. If anyone could be on 'standby' just in case could you let us know so that we can pass your details to Celia. I will help with any collecting/delivering if necessary.

Celia doesn't normally use fosterers as she likes to have all the buns in one place so that people who come to adopt can see all the rabbits that she has, so any fostering would just be temporary although it is difficult to say for how long.

I collected the rabbit found in a box in Mansfield (which actually turned out to be Leicester :shock:) yesterday afternoon and delivered her to one of Andrea's (Hopper) fosterers. Huge thank you to Andrea - Celia was very grateful. :D

Thanks for updating us Sue and Tracy on the great works that have taken place at Kirkby.

Highlighting some of the bunnies under rabbits in need might help with the rehoming.

A couple of members have offered to help under this thread, one of who used to be a fosterer for Kirkby and knows Celia, so I would grab.

The driver seems to be what is needed:
Does the vet attend the rescue to do the myxi vacs and its just the neutering runs that a driver is needed for?

How many buns will go in at one time for their neutering? Do they come out on the same day or stay overnight?

What about contacting radio Nottingham.

Highlighting some of the bunnies under rabbits in need might help with the rehoming.

A couple of members have offered to help under this thread, one of who used to be a fosterer for Kirkby and knows Celia, so I would grab.

The driver seems to be what is needed:
Does the vet attend the rescue to do the myxi vacs and its just the neutering runs that a driver is needed for?

How many buns will go in at one time for their neutering? Do they come out on the same day or stay overnight?

What about contacting radio Nottingham.

The vet comes to the rescue to do the myxi vacs, so it is just neutering runs that are needed, or trips to the vet if buns are poorly.

I think Celia normally sends 2 or 3 at a time for neutering. They stay in just for the day and go back to the rescue at some point in the afternoon when they've recovered from the anaesthetic, so it needs someone to take them in the morning and someone to collect them in the afternoon.

We are going to put some of the rabbits into the Rabbits in Need section...special cases such as a group of 3 buns (mum and her two daughters) who have been in the rescue for over 2 years. They get overlooked because people don't always want, or don't have space, for a group of three and Celia is reluctant to split them. I'm also going to put my 4 foster babies in RIN as there isn't room for them to go back to Kirkby at the moment.

I'm thinking I might be able to help with some vet runs this term. I have a couple of days a week free now :)
Does anyone know whereabouts the vet is that Celia uses?
I'll talk to her about it when I go in a couple of weeks anyway.

Thats great Loosy.

There is an Ikea in nottingham. Is anyone planning a visit to Ikea and could take some bunnies to the vet as a one off during any week in the future?

Bah! I've actually had a dream that last 2 nights that I'd fostered some buns for Celia :( Though last night it was 9 bunnies and a kitten lol.

I'd love to help with vet runs or something, but I work during the week and I'm not home until after 6 now with my new job.

I have asked my boyfriend if i could foster but he has said no. I would really love to foster and help that way. I think he thinks i will keep them if i do foster! (well i probably would want to!)

Maybe Celia could put something in the local Nottingham and Mansfield papers to try and get some people to adopt. let them know that there are pleantly of nice bunnies looking for homes, not just pets at home ones

What is Celia did an adoption day/week? She could posters up, notice in the paper etc, have a load of helpers and hopefully rehome a whole load of bunns on the same day? She doesn't do homechecks anyway I believe? The helpers could help suss out good people.

Sorry to bump this up but I've been at Kirkby this morning.

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere but Celia currently has 5 young cats in, two tabbies and three black cats (can't remember the male:female ratio, sorry :oops:). They are all gorgeous and so friendly. If anyone is looking for a cat or knows someone that is then these cats are available!
I'm kicking myself a bit because although I love my Charlie and would never give him up now, if I hadn't got him a few months ago I would probably have been able to adopt one or two of the lovelies at Celia's.

(Not much use, I know, but I think it's a brilliant job that the rescues are doing. I've very little experience, but I would really love to help out at a rescue centre. Unfortunately there are none near me in Skegness.)

Back