• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Burgess and Portable Bunnies. U/D response received.

I definitely think it's worth contacting them politely and pointing these sorts of things out - I did a similar thing to Supreme a few years ago and they totally reworded one of their pages after my contact :) More often than not they do listen and it's not like it's a big deal for them to change a couple of sentences, so hopefully they will do :)

Depends on the rabbit, but I would presume they chose a rabbit with an appropriate personality bearing in mind what he'll be up to.

How many rabbits live in a hutch at night and a seperate run in the day? Other than a car trip that's not a great deal of difference. There are a few forum members that regular travel with the rabbits on holiday or to visit friends/family.

A bold out going rabbit would probably do fine, might even benefit from the stimulation. I imagine he'd get quite a lot of attention in a pen in an office.

I do agree they will have to be very careful with what they post, anyone who could be consider an authority on something by others has to be. It certainly won't be appropriate for every rabbit.

There are a few forum members that regular travel with the rabbits on holiday or to visit friends/family.

I'm such an owner. But to be honest for me it is the lesser of the two evils - not necessarily something I would chose to do! It's either leave my buns in a strange place with strangers or take them to a strange place with familiar people. Both involve a car ride which is stressful and a change of environment and routine - again stressful. But we can't not have a holiday, and with a very nervous rescue bun and a gut stasis/bloat prone rescue bun i'd rather the stresses were minimised by being with familiar people and also that we will be the ones to spot any problems quickly.

However, we keep this 'holiday' or 'change' stress to just a week's holiday twice a year and make sure that we don't go within 2 weeks of any vaccinations or illness to ensure they are up to the journey and all the changes. We also go to a familiar place each time and go to great lenghts to minimise stress at every turn - taking used litter trays and bedding with scent on, packing them at the last min, filling up their tummies with moist veg before we set off and giving them rescue remedy to keep them calm on the journey. This is not something I would chose to do daily.

I appreciate that some very 'outgoing and tolerant' buns are much better able to cope. But essentially to me all rabbits are prey animals and will experience stress at some level whether they show it or not.

Depends on the rabbit, but I would presume they chose a rabbit with an appropriate personality bearing in mind what he'll be up to.

How many rabbits live in a hutch at night and a seperate run in the day? Other than a car trip that's not a great deal of difference. There are a few forum members that regular travel with the rabbits on holiday or to visit friends/family.

A bold out going rabbit would probably do fine, might even benefit from the stimulation. I imagine he'd get quite a lot of attention in a pen in an office.

I do agree they will have to be very careful with what they post, anyone who could be consider an authority on something by others has to be. It certainly won't be appropriate for every rabbit.

This is absolutely right Tamsin, as I said in my earlier posts, I know that some rabbits will deal fine with such an experience, however, my point, which you have summed up, is that I think Burgess have a duty to think about what they write and the impact it might have on people who do not understand the differences in rabbit's temperaments and how they can suffer from stress.

Well having already written to them, I'll wait and see what they say.

I agree. It's very hard (and somewhat unfair) to speculate if the situation is not fully understood. None of us have met this bunny and/or seen how it behaves and copes in the situation.

The point of my post is not about this particular bunny, it is about the message within this blog's content, and how it will be read and understood by others who do not understand typical rabbit behaviour, who may be new to rabbit keeping, and/or who are not experienced.

I am very pleased to say that I have had a lovely response from Burgess' mum to say that she has immediately amended the blog and has removed reference to the bunny travelling into work everyday.

Yay for Burgess and for Burgess' mum. Nice to know that the company were happy to listen to constructive comments.

I must itterate that my criticism was never of the rabbit's owner or the original rescue but simply the message that might have been received from the text.

Back