• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Treats

courtneydayle

Alpha Buck
I've been wanting to try to find a good recipe for my buns since treats from the store are so expensive and they've got chemicals and things. So I did some research and thought I'd share the recipes I found!

---------------------------------------------------------------

You will need:

* 1 c. rolled oats, finely ground (coffee grinder works best)
* 1/4 c. rabbit pellets, finely ground
* 2 medium-sized bunches of parsley
* 1/2 of a carrot
* 1/2 of a banana
* 1/4 c. + 1 tbsp. water

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet or stone with wax paper (baking stones actually work best). Grind pellets and oats down to a powder and set aside. Puree parsley, carrot, banana and water. This should become fairly liquefied, so you can add more or less water depending on the consistency. In a bowl, mix puree and dry ingredients. Knead until a stiff dough is formed. Dough will be somewhat sticky. Place ball of dough between 2 sheets of wax paper and roll to about 1/8 – 1/4 of an inch thick. Cut into small squares and place on baking sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes (don't let them get too brown), then turn off the heat and let them sit in the warm oven for at least an hour. (The last step is really important because letting them sit in a warm oven is what dries them out so they'll keep for a really long time and not grow mold!)

----------------------------------------------------------------

1 small carrot, pureed
1/2 banana, mashed until really creamy
1 tbsp honey
1/4 cup rabbit pellets, ground finely in a coffee grinder
1/4 cup ground oats, ground finely in a coffee grinder

Mix pureed carrot, banana and honey in a medium bowl. Add pellet powder and ground oats. Mix until blended. Knead in your hands for 1-2 minutes. Roll out the "dough" in 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick layers between sheets of plastic wrap. Cut into small cookies (about 3/4 inch across). Place cut shapes onto a parchment paper covered cookie sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes (check to make sure they are not browning too much). Turn off the heat and let the cookies sit in the warm oven for an hour or so.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Raspberry Cookies
(Credit to Bunny Treats)

1/3 cup Frozen Raspberries, de-thawed
1/2 Tbsp Dried Mint
1/3 cup Rabbit Pellets
3 Tbsp Old Fashion Oats

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

With a fork, mash raspberries together
Mix raspberries with mint.
Grind pellets (use a coffee grinder only used to make rabbit treats)
Mix with oats. Slowly add dry mixture to raspberry, mint mixture until well blended together. Using a teaspoon measuring spoon, spoon out onto a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper (it prevents sticking and doesn't add any grease)
Flatten cookies with a fork to about 1/4" thick
Cook for 20 minutes or until brown on bottom. Let cool (For a crunchier treat, turn off oven and leave in until stove cools)
Once cooled, place in sealed container or bag. Can be left out for about a week but to prevent spoiling, refrigerate or freeze treats

Makes About 18-20 cookies

*This Recipe is great for those winter months when raspberries are out of season.
======================================…
Bunny Cookies

(Credits to Handmade Pet Recipes)
(Grammar and spelling errors are corrected by me)

1/4 c. Banana*
1 c. -rabbit's favorite fruit & vegetable-
*Small amount of water (for Bananas)
-Be sure that everything you use is rabbit-friendly.

1. Cut up all the fruits and vegetables and put them into a bowl.
2. Mix water and banana until creamy. (skip this step if you are using yogurt)
Note: The Banana = paste'.
3. Now take a bit of paste (the size you want your cookie to be) and put it on a plate.
4. Put the same amount of fruits and vegetables onto the paste. Repeat until you've made enough or used up the ingredients.
5. Put into the freezer for 30 min.
6. Serve to your rabbit and watch it munch it away! Give only 1 or 1/2 per day.
======================================…

If anything isn't bun safe, please tell me.

Thanks for sharing. Have you tried any of these yet? Just wondering how they turned out and how your bunnies liked them.
I am not sure how safe honey is for rabbits. I do know that it should not be given to babies because of the bacteria in it. I am not sure how the rabbit gut might react.
Rabbits shouldn't have dairy so would skip the yogurt. Other than that they sound yummy for bunnies.

I was going to try these until I realized I don't have rolled oats. I have oatmeal oats, would they work? Like the kind you can make oatmeal out of or the no bake cookies?

I was going to try these until I realized I don't have rolled oats. I have oatmeal oats, would they work? Like the kind you can make oatmeal out of or the no bake cookies?

Oatmeal oats are rolled oats. It is just chopped up so that it cooks faster when making oatmeal. I am anxious to hear your results.

Then I will be back in a couple hours... THanks bunnytoes! Another question for you since you know a lot, is Alfalfa hay alright for buns full time?

You will need:

* 1 c. rolled oats, finely ground (coffee grinder works best)
* 1/4 c. rabbit pellets, finely ground
* 2 medium-sized bunches of parsley
* 1/2 of a carrot
* 1/2 of a banana
* 1/4 c. + 1 tbsp. water

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet or stone with wax paper (baking stones actually work best). Grind pellets and oats down to a powder and set aside. Puree parsley, carrot, banana and water. This should become fairly liquefied, so you can add more or less water depending on the consistency. In a bowl, mix puree and dry ingredients. Knead until a stiff dough is formed. Dough will be somewhat sticky. Place ball of dough between 2 sheets of wax paper and roll to about 1/8 – 1/4 of an inch thick. Cut into small squares and place on baking sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes (don't let them get too brown), then turn off the heat and let them sit in the warm oven for at least an hour. (The last step is really important because letting them sit in a warm oven is what dries them out so they'll keep for a really long time and not grow mold!)

So this is in the oven... I didn't have parsley so I used celery and they don't like carrot so I used brocolli. I also added a fourth of an apple. It smells great, but it looks like a sick cow pooed in the bowl...

So this is in the oven... I didn't have parsley so I used celery and they don't like carrot so I used brocolli. I also added a fourth of an apple. It smells great, but it looks like a sick cow pooed in the bowl...

Eeeeeeewwww! :lol: I'm too scared to make anything like that, I am known for making messes and not wanting to clean them up :lol:

I was in a cleaning mood, so everything is already cleaned up! And the pan that they are cooked on is covered in wax paper so I won't need to clean it!

Then I will be back in a couple hours... THanks bunnytoes! Another question for you since you know a lot, is Alfalfa hay alright for buns full time?

Alfalfa hay is very high in calcium and is much richer and higher in calories than Timothy hay. It is good for baby bunnies. Once they are adults they need to be on another hay lower in calcium. Adult rabbits don't process calcium very well and can easily get calcium crystals. Julie is very sensitive to calcium. She can't eat spinach or kale as they are high in it. The alfalfa hay is fine for your babies now as their main hay but lots of rabbits prefer alfalfa hay to timothy and it can be difficult to switch over. Julie was only feed alfalfa when I got her and it was lots of work to get her to eat other hays. If it was me I would introduce the timothy also and when they are ready just gradually give more and more timothy and less alfalfa.

Alfalfa hay is very high in calcium and is much richer and higher in calories than Timothy hay. It is good for baby bunnies. Once they are adults they need to be on another hay lower in calcium. Adult rabbits don't process calcium very well and can easily get calcium crystals. Julie is very sensitive to calcium. She can't eat spinach or kale as they are high in it. The alfalfa hay is fine for your babies now as their main hay but lots of rabbits prefer alfalfa hay to timothy and it can be difficult to switch over. Julie was only feed alfalfa when I got her and it was lots of work to get her to eat other hays. If it was me I would introduce the timothy also and when they are ready just gradually give more and more timothy and less alfalfa.

I feed Bermuda right now. I was just wondering cause it kinda causes Bandana to sneeze. She's on meds for it, but it makes me sad when she does.

So I made the treats... The wax paper is stuck to the bottom... I'm hoping it will come off when they cool... If not, then all that was wasted...

Thanks for sharing. Have you tried any of these yet? Just wondering how they turned out and how your bunnies liked them.
I am not sure how safe honey is for rabbits. I do know that it should not be given to babies because of the bacteria in it. I am not sure how the rabbit gut might react.
Rabbits shouldn't have dairy so would skip the yogurt. Other than that they sound yummy for bunnies.

I'm pretty sure that honey never goes off because bacteria cannot survive in it, thats why it's used in wound healing. It's not recommended for rabbits as it's extremely sugary.

I'm pretty sure that honey never goes off because bacteria cannot survive in it, thats why it's used in wound healing. It's not recommended for rabbits as it's extremely sugary.

It's okay in little tiny amounts. Like just a little lick from a finger is fine.Or just for flavor in treats like this.

It's okay in little tiny amounts. Like just a little lick from a finger is fine.Or just for flavor in treats like this.

Depends in the rabbit, yes in most a little bit here and there is ok. Some bunny tums can't handle it so well. I can only give Mini very small amounts of sugary things or she gets sloppy cecals.

I give my girls fruit and thats about as sugary as they get. Once in a while they'll sneak a cheerio away from me or something though.

It also is not recommended for babies because it contains spores of a bacterium which is harmless to adults but can be dangerous to babies' immature systems. I was wondering if those spores could also be dangerous to the rabbit's sensitive guts.. I would not give it to rabbits because of the sugar either.

After two, babies can have it and it's best if they have local honey. The pollen and stuff the bees use helps keep them from developing allergies. I've never given it to my buns either.

After two, babies can have it and it's best if they have local honey. The pollen and stuff the bees use helps keep them from developing allergies. I've never given it to my buns either.

Yeah under 2 years old. I use local honey for my allergies as well. I tried allergy shots but something in them made me sick but the honey really has helped. I love honey for all sorts of home remedies.
So how did the treats turn out? Have they tried them yet?

It also is not recommended for babies because it contains spores of a bacterium which is harmless to adults but can be dangerous to babies' immature systems. I was wondering if those spores could also be dangerous to the rabbit's sensitive guts.. I would not give it to rabbits because of the sugar either.

Oh right I see, didn't know that.

Whenever I make biscuits I just use banana or some other fruit to bind crushed pellets and oats.

Back