• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunny room divider

Jem n Flo

Warren Scout
Currently marley and flo have the whole of my conservatory. Any time either me or the dogs want to go out in the garden we have to walk through the room. Marley is a lil ****** and nips the dogs legs if they don't make it out into the garden quick enough, also I used to eat my breakfast in there and now I have nowhere to sit and eat (quite a small house)

was thinking of dividing the room up so the buns have their area and I make a walk through so the dogs don't get nipped and I can sit and eat. Conservatory is 3m x 5m and the most sensible way to split it would be for the buns to end up with an area 3mx3m

so, firstly, does this sound enough space for them? I think it looks pretty big and they go out in the garden to stretch their legs every morning when I have my breakfast plus they get up onto the hutches and wide windowledges so they have more than just the floor space

and also, how does this look for a divider? if the bars are wide apart then I will mesh it but I have a baby gate up atm and it hasn't proved a problem with buns putting their heads through

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1278484.htm

if anyone has any better ideas then im all ears!

Conservatory is 3m x 5m and the most sensible way to split it would be for the buns to end up with an area 3mx3m

so, firstly, does this sound enough space for them? I think it looks pretty big and they go out in the garden to stretch their legs every morning when I have my breakfast plus they get up onto the hutches and wide windowledges so they have more than just the floor space

3meters =9ft10inches so in a 3x3meter section they would still have just under 100square ft. So a lot more than most bunnies get. How big are the bunnies? I think even very large buns would be ok with that but i have netherlands, so its hard to imagine big buns

flo is a frenchie and marley is a cross of something but id call him sorta dutch sized maybe

I thought 3mx3m would be big enough but because the currently have 3mx5m I was feeling a bit like I was robbing them of their space but not like im squishing them into a small area

You could use a puppy pen. Most are actually separate panels you link together so you can stretch them into one long barrier rather than a pen.

If you felt mean, you could always open (or fold up) the barrier at night when they are the only occupants and pen them back in at breakfast.

I looked at pup pens but they all seem a little flimsy to have them stand up freestanding but this baby fence thing has fixings to attach it to the wall and looks pretty sturdy I thought

hadn't crossed my mind to let them out over night, that might make me feel less mean pinching their room back!!

It does look quite sturdy - just check it's long enough as some of the gates you have to buy extra sections for :)

i bought a heavy weight puppy pen and the divider is up!!! yay I have some of my house back and my ankles are safe!

will do once the conservatory is in some state of tidiness!! having moved a hutch that's been in the same place for a couple of yrs theres a tonne of bedding, hay, toys and wrecked carpet to tidy up lol

pleased I did it though, Marley has chilled out a lot already now we're not constantly walking through his space, hes less bitey when I go in the pen with them too so I think its benefitting everyone involved :)

will do once the conservatory is in some state of tidiness!! having moved a hutch that's been in the same place for a couple of yrs theres a tonne of bedding, hay, toys and wrecked carpet to tidy up lol

pleased I did it though, Marley has chilled out a lot already now we're not constantly walking through his space, hes less bitey when I go in the pen with them too so I think its benefitting everyone involved :)

:thumb:

All that's great news, I didn't think of it that way around but yes, it must be a lot less stressful not to have people and dogs walking through his territory all the time, I'm pleased to hear it's worked out well all round.

Just to add - I have one of those baby dan play pens as a room divider for Katie and its very sturdy, can be arranged in whatever shape you want and there does not seem to be any problem with the spacing of the bars.

Im glad you chose a solution for your rabbits that accomodates both of you though. I used to have Katie in the hall way (so it could be shut from the various parts of the house and she would still have a large area to hop in) but I also felt it was too stressful for her to have people constantly walking through her territory - and also she kept trying to get out of the front door!

Back