• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Building a new run, just wanted to check sizes?

DarceyH

Warren Scout
So I am taking on a summer project making a new run for my rabbits as store brought ones just aren't cutting it!

Unfortunately as it is my parents garden, I can't go paving over the back and gettingn a huge walk in run as I would ideally like. I have asked, often, it's a resounding no. (I can't wait until I graduate and get a job so I can have my own place and therefor a bunny heaven!)

I have a few obstacles to over come such as my father insists that it can be taken off the grass and stored in the shed/garage over winter and so that he can now the grass (because apparently the rabbits don't do a good enough job!). I honestly thought about rehoming them for a while as they just didn't have the run space they needed or the time and care when I am at uni, but I then decided that I really didn't want them going somewhere where they would get even less then they have with me. Also I love them, so it's a little selfish.

Anyway, I have decided on using heavy duty puppy pen panels to make the run with. They are 100cm (3 foot 3 inches tall) and 80cm (2 foot 7 inches long).

I originally planned on having 10 panels with would make the run just under 5foot 3inches wide by 7 foot 11 inches long and 3ft 3 high. I will be making a removable roof for the run as well.

I wasn't sure if this would be long enough and, if I my dad says its ok, I was thinking about getting another two panels. This would make the run almost 10 feet long. Obviously the longer the better but would 7 11 be ok?

If it was 7 11 the total square foot would be 39.

Any thoughts?

Here are the pannels I am thinking of using:
http://www.only-dog-cages.co.uk/eb-8pcpen100-ellie-bo-heavy-duty-8-piece-puppy-pen-100cms-high.html

I'm not sure if those panels would be ok left out in all weathers. Also it would be very difficult to make a predator proof lid for it. I'm also not sure on the size of the holes, they look quite large, a cat could scratch the bunnies if the holes ar too big for example. If the run is going on grass, you need to mesh the floor of it so they can't dig out and predators can't dig in.

I would recommend using weld mesh (16 or 19 gauge, with holes of 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch) and timber to make a framework for the run. the rabbits will need access to the run all year round 24 hrs a day (unless you are bringing them in over winter, in which case you could use it indoors) so I'm not sure why it needs to be stored in the garage :?

I second zoobec's concern about it not being secure enough, and not long-lasting enough. They aren't designed to be used outside for long periods of time.

I live at home at the moment too and my stepdad has to mow the lawn. My setup isn't ideal, but I think if I was doing it all over again I'd get a folding run from Moore space for pets on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/moorespaceforpets/posts/779046565508903). That would allow easy moving around for mowing the lawn.

As Zoobec says, storing the run over winter would be inappropriate if your rabbits were still outside. Rabbits need 24 hour access to a run, it can't just be completely removed for winter. Unless you are bringing them inside of course!

They have a run on their hutch, this is just for when they are in the main garden area in the spring and summer. It's just for a new setting and some more space.
My set up is not completely ideal as unfortunately it is not my house to mess arround with. As I said I considered re-homing but I just couldn't bring myself to do it!

I had no idea about Moore space, I shall have to look into that!

I have a puppy pen which we are considering using as a temporary solution to give Lopsy more than 5'x4'+18"x3' to run about in: we have also come across the problem of predator-proofing the top. We thought about putting something solid over the top and weighing it with bricks (how the run is currently set up) but we don't have anything large or stable enough. We have found our pen quite unstable (albeit on paving) while freestanding: it is about 3' high. I have considered meshing the top but couldn't think of a good 'temporary' solution that didn't come off with a bit of fiddling.

Good luck!

I think a proper 3ft high wooden run, complete with removable top, would be much better otherwise you are going to have to be outside with them in case of predators/run falling down.

Thanks All,

Hopefully i can convince my parents on getting a solid run as it seems so much safer! and cheaper too. I have put aside the puppy pen idea, so glad i posted on here before i went through with it!

so moving on from that, any run recommendations other then Moores, which look great! just want to get the best i can!

The welfare hutch company do wonderful looking runs. I will be getting one in the future. I have one of their 6 x 2 hutches and its brill. really strong and well made.

Back