• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Building a Hutch/Small shed - advice please

bobbedazzler

Warren Scout
Hiya

I'm hoping to get a couple of bunnies in a few weeks and my Hubby has offered to build a hutch/small shed and a run.

Just wondered if you could give me some advice as to the absolute do's and don'ts of hutch making?

IE/ Is there anything that you would regard as a 'must have' orrr any materials that absolutely shouldn't be used because they're bad for bunnies.

He's obviously building it out of wood, are there any types of wood that are a no-no??

Are they best with an upstairs and downstairs or all one level??

Is it ok to use sawdust chipping things? (not the really fine stuff, the chunky stuff) or are they best with carpet and a litter tray??

Any advice you can give would be great, I really want to make a lovely home for them.

Thanks, J x

Not sure about the building bit (not done that..yet!) but getting them to use a litter tray will certainly make your life easier and keep the living accommodation clean & tidy :D

Thanks Fluffers, will defo go down the litter tray route.

Any idea how big a hutch would need to be for 2 rabbits?

(I'm hoping for small/medium sized buns).

Thats a difficult one, the bigger the better but a min of a 5ft long x 2ft deep x 2-3ft tall (inside measurements) A double decker is best for two buns I think. 6ft would be lovely :D

The run wants to be at least 2ft tall also but then as big as you can make it really :D

The minimum size most rescues will rehome to is 36 square feet. This could be made up from many ways. Personally I would have at least 12 square feet (4 x 3 or 6 x 2 feet) as a covered protected area and some area as a run. Many people have hutches with runs attatced whcih are 6 x 2 hutch with a 6 x 2 run joined to it. The hutch run should be a minimum of 2 feet tall to give them space to stretch.

there are lots of pictures on her to look at for ideas.

As far as wood shavings are concerned these are actually potentially harmfulto all small animals and should be avoided. There is more information http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=178252&highlight=shavings there are many good alternatives that you can use instead.

In wendy house I keep rabbits in, the floor is covered in lino and there are large containers with hay in them, I often put old towels on the floor for the rabbits to lie on.

I have two buns in a wendy house which is 6 x 4 (and walk in), they also have a run attached with a cat flap for access.

I have found this much easier to clean than a hutch and you can spend time with them in the winter in there.

There are plenty of links on her if you do a search.

You will need to be careful what paint you use as it should be animal friendly e.g. cuprinol do some.

The easiest arrangement is a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch with a 6ft x 6ft run permanently attached to it. This is the minimum recommended by most people, anything extra is a bonus.

For the wood, plywood is the cheapest and is durable. MDF and Chipboard are NOT suitable. For the supports just use general timber. Use an animal safe wood treatment like Cuprinol Garden/Heritage Shades. For the run use a galvanised wire mesh with small holes, like 1inch x 0.5inch and 19guage or thicker.

Sheds are very good for bad weather as you can stand inside the shed to muck them out. They also give a nice large inside area. It may be a good idea to build an inner mesh door on to the shed, so that when you open the main door of the shed the bunnies don't run out in between your legs. Another advantage of doing this is that you can leave the main door open in nice weather. You could use a cat flap to link the shed and run together- if it has a magnetic bit on the bottom then take that off, which will (hopefully) enable the bunnies to move in between shed and run. The cat flap may need to be pegged open for a little period until they get used to moving through it. I do have some pictures of my shed/run combo if you would like to see them. :wave:

Oooh yes please that would be really helpful.

Here we go:

IMGP1687.jpg

IMGP1688.jpg

IMGP1675.jpg

IMGP1651.jpg

IMGP1652.jpg

IMGP1653.jpg

IMGP1654.jpg

IMGP1657.jpg

IMGP1437.jpg

DSCF4171.jpg

DSCF4179.jpg

DSCF4183.jpg

DSCF4189.jpg

DSCF4192.jpg

003.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

I have bought a shed from B&Q in the discount period and got it for £92 but as they have kept me waiting for it and messed up my order twice they gave me a second discount so now I have only paid £83 for a 6 x 4 shed.

I plan to insulate it and put a second floor half way across the shed (meshed off for safety) and another level above that for supplies - hay, food etc

I have a 4 ft indoor cage that I am going to put the base only in the shed with hay in for them to climb in as a big tray.

My husband is building a run off the shed at full height (6ft) so that I can walk around with a half door so that when I climb in and out no one can run in or out (its what I have already on my other bun aviary)

Bunnyruncover-2.jpg
[/IMG]

This other bun aviary is 8ft x 8ft and had an 8ft hutch in it with a bench for me to sit with them and for them to jump up and down (balcony :D)

The blue sheet is used in winter for driving rain and wind but is taken down this time of year but on my new one I am going to have one permanent solid side as that side is more exposed as in another part of my garden.

For those of you with sheds what do you do with the windows? mesh? shutter? or both options?

I have bought a shed from B&Q in the discount period and got it for £92 but as they have kept me waiting for it and messed up my order twice they gave me a second discount so now I have only paid £83 for a 6 x 4 shed.

I plan to insulate it and put a second floor half way across the shed (meshed off for safety) and another level above that for supplies - hay, food etc

I have a 4 ft indoor cage that I am going to put the base only in the shed with hay in for them to climb in as a big tray.

My husband is building a run off the shed at full height (6ft) so that I can walk around with a half door so that when I climb in and out no one can run in or out (its what I have already on my other bun aviary)

Bunnyruncover-2.jpg
[/IMG]

This other bun aviary is 8ft x 8ft and had an 8ft hutch in it with a bench for me to sit with them and for them to jump up and down (balcony :D)

The blue sheet is used in winter for driving rain and wind but is taken down this time of year but on my new one I am going to have one permanent solid side as that side is more exposed as in another part of my garden.

For those of you with sheds what do you do with the windows? mesh? shutter? or both options?

I just left them as they are :)

Oh wow thanks for your input everyone and for showing me your pics .... that helps a lot!

Some of your set-ups are fab!

Anyone know where I can get the fox-proof wire/mesh from??

Thanks

x

Oh wow thanks for your input everyone and for showing me your pics .... that helps a lot!

Some of your set-ups are fab!

Anyone know where I can get the fox-proof wire/mesh from??

Thanks

x

Ebay is cheapest - even with the postage is less than buying it from B&Q etc :)

Back