• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buck with trust issues

Bindi

Warren Scout
No doubt there will be a few people on here who will know me and realise who I'm talking about but...

Doe is 10 years old and widowed. Her previous partner was her soulmate- they would yin-yang for excessively long periods of time just snogging. She is not aggressive by nature.

Buck is younger and good natured but has a bad bonding history. He was bonded and then after he went home to the owner's house there was an argument between buns (don't know any details or how serious it was) and owner immediately handed him back. His next bonding attempt (that I know of) ended in a well-aimed chomp to his ear that made the ear die and have to be amputated. The one after seemed to be going smashingly but then for some reason they decided they actually didn't like each other that much and started constantly fighting, ending in both rabbits receiving injuries that required multiple stitches. His wound was a chunk taken out of his back, which I think is probably relevant. He quite naturally ended up afraid of the ladies, so we thought this doe might be perfect for him. The first bonding attempt went like a fairytale- he seemed to realise fairly quickly that she wasn't a threat and started to treat her like they'd been friends for ages. She was a bit unsure at first but there was no aggression on either side and by the end of the week she was snogging him like she'd done her last husbun and we even saw him kissing her back. And then we found it- he'd torn a wound in her side. We didn't see it happen and it had probably occurred some time before but she had to go to the vets to have stitches and was kept under observation. In hindsight the person who was doing the bond said she should have taken the buck to the vets with her but she didn't and when the doe came back she was incredibly angry about her whole veterinary experience and was lashing out with the most stinking scowl on her face for weeks. The bond failed.

It's been a few months now and we are convinced that these two are made for each other and the bond very nearly worked until the whoops happened. My theory is that she came up behind him and decided to groom and nibble his back (as I observed her do later on) and this startled him as he's not used to receiving affection from a lady bun and might have thought she was attacking him. They presumably made up after it happened so we had no idea. I set them up today so they were separated by mesh and same again- he was behaving like he didn't mind her being there and of all the hay piles I left around her enclosure she kept choosing to settle peacefully on the one next to him. The issue is not getting them to like each other because they clearly do, but I'm concerned about history repeating itself. I don't want the poor little lady to get injured again. I think he'd be untrusting of any doe we put him with and she is the best one we have with regards to not being a threat to him (and making his trauma worse!). I don't know if anyone has any advice or reassurance about the next step- the point when she can actually have physical contact with him. I admit, I'm worried.

Personally I would leave them side by side for several weeks before attempting to bond them. Then I'd do lots of supervised 'dates' that become longer and longer in duration, including some 'dinner dates'. Whilst slow bonds are very time consuming (months rather than weeks) I have known it to work for even the most complex and previously 'unbondable' Rabbits.

Of course this method may not be an option as not everyone has the time to devote to it due to working etc. Also, in a Rescue situation it would clearly impact on how long it would take for the Rabbits to be ready for adoption. Even if they did bond they would need to remain at the Rescue for a few weeks AFTER bonding to make sure the dynamics of the relationship were sound.

Sorry I cant be of much more help. My usual rule is that if a scuffle results in a serious injury to either Rabbit I never try again. But I know many people totally disagree with me on that. Personally I dont feel I want to take such a huge risk, but that may say more about me than it does about the Rabbits ! I am not a 'brave bonder'.

They are in Rescue at the moment. The doe probably isn't rehomable anyway, except to someone who can give her a special place. I'm planning to take it a lot slower than we did the first time round so I'm not too hasty in letting them at each other.

As for the injury thing, we wouldn't usually either. It's just that I know this incident was probably a complete misunderstanding. In fact, my two home rabbits (Pandora and Mattie) fought when they first met and Mattie took a chunk out of her shoulder and nose- now they are absolutely conjoined and perfect for each other. It depends on how I feel it happened and the reason behind it and if they have the potential to bond or if it will be aggression from there on out.

I was considering eventually putting them out in an enclosure separated by something with larger holes, so she could groom him through the holes but they couldn't actually gain full access to each other for a fight or an enclosure small enough for me to sit in there closely and stroke his head/distract him whenever she came into physical contact with him so he might then be able to learn she's not hurting him.

Poor little man, sounds like he's been through a lot, and poor little lady now too! I'm afraid I don't have any advice as I have never bonded bunnies but I just wanted to wish you all good luck when you attempt to rebond them again :)

I agree with Jane, taking things slow sounds like a good plan. I also think it might be that your long term goal isn't necessarily two rabbits that live together but that enjoy time out together. Which I know is a bit in the face of usual bonding but if they are both quite laid back, and took an instant liking but also cautious then it may work for them. Living side by side and spending exercise time together gives them a good amount of social contact whilst keeping the risk down. So meetings don't have to be a process in bonding, you can also look at them as a end into themselves.

I agree with Jane, taking things slow sounds like a good plan. I also think it might be that your long term goal isn't necessarily two rabbits that live together but that enjoy time out together. Which I know is a bit in the face of usual bonding but if they are both quite laid back, and took an instant liking but also cautious then it may work for them. Living side by side and spending exercise time together gives them a good amount of social contact whilst keeping the risk down. So meetings don't have to be a process in bonding, you can also look at them as a end into themselves.

Yes this is very true.

I'll let you guys know how it goes, although at the speed I intend to take this at it might be a while ;)

Back