• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buck behaviour change

Hi everyone. My buck was a bit of a cool dude. Didn't really like being handled but would stick around to be stroked and nothing seemed to phase him. He'd lie about by the wire of his hutch or outside in his run really relaxed. We'd call him the Great Dollop. We got him castrated end of July. The vet remarked how chilled he was. After castration he was fine. Didnt really change.
Then we got our doe spayed about 3 weeks ago and he's changed massively.
They were living separately in hutches above and below each other, with outside space next to each other.
He now spends most his time behind the solid wooden hutch door and only goes outside for quick visits. Not seen him lie about outside for a long time.
She was on hutch rest for a while obviously, so I thought perhaps he missed her when she wasn't outside next to him. But she's able to go out now and is the same as she ever was. He just seems depressed. He isn't grooming himself and won't let me brush him obviously.
The night she came home from her op he was thumping like mad and I had to stay with them in the garden most the night to calm him down. He's had another night of thumping since then my husband dealt with and we think it's cos there was a slug in his hutch. Both neighbours are doing building work and our kids are home from school holidays so it could be a combination of things, but the change in him was very sudden when our doe was spayed. All those other things were happening all summer and he was fine. He even came camping with us and our girl stayed home.
I'm just really worried he's gone from the most relaxed dude to a nervous wreck.

Im now really nervous about starting the bonding process with him like this.
Vet said to wait for another 4 weeks to make sure they are both healed fully from their operations so it won't be imminent.

I don't really have a question for you lovely lot. Just want a shoulder to cry on. Anyone experienced similar? Any helpful words or suggestions?

Thanks

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Sorry, he was castrated end of June, not July. So it's been over 6 weeks for him now. Girls was neutered approx 3 weeks ago.

How old are they both? Are they brother & sister? The way they react to each other now immediately post bonding won’t necessarily be how they are whilst being bonded. His hormones are likely to be still settling down and hers are still probably still affecting her and the way he reacts.

Try not to worry and as long as you bond in a small neutral area where no bun has been I’m sure it will all be fine.

How old are they both? Are they brother & sister? The way they react to each other now immediately post bonding won’t necessarily be how they are whilst being bonded. His hormones are likely to be still settling down and hers are still probably still affecting her and the way he reacts.

Try not to worry and as long as you bond in a small neutral area where no bun has been I’m sure it will all be fine.
Thank you zoobec. They are not siblings. He's approx 2 and always been a bachelor. She's just turned 6 months and was previously a housebun along with her sister but returned to the breeder who gave her to us.

Back