• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

breding

Do not breed them please. Especially if they are from the same mother! (I'm sorry but this tells me that you have no experience breeding and therefore it is a very bad idea) Breeding to be honest just leads to more business in petshops, possibly more abandonned pets and breeding from the same line of family can make the kits turn out quite badly (I sadly lost one of the kits once but I didn't intend on breeding them they were wrongly sexed). Please re-think breeding bunnies they are enough out there needing homes.

because close family want one. and we had to travel 2 hours to get fluffy

Want one? For a start bunnies should be kept with company if they want one surely the best decision is to go to a rescue to get one with no home? Rather than bringing more into the world and Scooch has had a litter and she had six on her first go! Can you give homes to say five other babies? They can also go up to about 8/9.

I am sure there is a rescue near you. If not, 'bunny runs' can always be arranged!

i also want to do it because i have never done anything like this before. i would love to seen new born baby rabbits. plus then we will know what breed they are, as we brought a rabbit from a pet shop, which was ment to be a mini lop, and it was nothing like a lop. the rabbits will be cared for and already have family which would love to care for them, so homing them would not be a problem and we would like to keep some aswel.

why should i not breed at all. i am considering gettin the rabiit from a different breeder, so they will not be related.i am not doing it for a profit.

Of course no one can tell you what to do but only advise you.

It sounds lovely to have little baby bunnies running around doesn't it but in reality there are lots of things that can go wrong and can cost you a lot of money not to mention the fact that there are thousands of rabbits in rescue centres waiting for homes.

The lady I got my rabbits from had got 2 rabbits, she wasn't sure if they were boys or girls so left it to chance - they had 6 babies and then 31 days later (because she didn't know they could get pregnant so soon after giving birth and left the buck in with them) the doe had another litter of 5 babies. So in a little over a month her rabbit population grew from 2 to 13! This is a financial burden in housing, bedding, vaccinations, let alone any vets fees should any of them be poorly.

My advice would be to research and learn as much as you possibly can, visit shows, speak to breeders and look around this forum before you make any decisions to breed.

i also want to do it because i have never done anything like this before. i would love to seen new born baby rabbits. plus then we will know what breed they are, as we brought a rabbit from a pet shop, which was ment to be a mini lop, and it was nothing like a lop. the rabbits will be cared for and already have family which would love to care for them, so homing them would not be a problem and we would like to keep some aswel.

Why does it even matter what breed they are?

It's great that your family want to offer homes to some rabbits but maybe they would consider some of the 35,000 already in rescue, first.

Want one? For a start bunnies should be kept with company if they want one surely the best decision is to go to a rescue to get one with no home? Rather than bringing more into the world and Scooch has had a litter and she had six on her first go! Can you give homes to say five other babies? They can also go up to about 8/9.

i have a large famiy. i didnt mean just wanted one. i know they have large litters

i have a large famiy. i didnt mean just wanted one. i know they have large litters

Okay well that's good had me worried there :lol: but if they would some please consider a rescue? Lots are looking for loving homes people even arrange bunny runs if you are far away. You really shouldn't breed unless you know genetics pretty well.

why should i not breed at all. i am considering gettin the rabiit from a different breeder, so they will not be related.i am not doing it for a profit.

Because:

1. You obviously have limited knowledge about the very basics relating to Rabbits.

2.There are already over 30,000 (THIRTY THOUSAND) Rabbits in Rescues all over the UK. Why bring yet more into the world ?

3. From your posts you do not come across as being an adult. If I am wrong I apologise but if you are not able to fund ALL the care of any Rabbits you breed (accomodation, food, vaccinations,Veterinary Care.........) then that is a very good reason not to start breeding. 2 Rabbits could turn into 10 Rabbits.
Could you afford to fund their care and could you offer them a forever home if you are not able to rehome them?

Id like to add we're not trying to be mean we just really want you to understand because this is a huge problem for bunnies.

i also want to do it because i have never done anything like this before. i would love to seen new born baby rabbits. plus then we will know what breed they are, as we brought a rabbit from a pet shop

how would letting a rabbit have young tell you what breed they are also if its a petshop bun i would not breed from it as its history is unknown. if shes a much loved pet and you had to travel that long for her have you read the posts on here where they have mated thier rabbit up and it has died giving birth would you want to risk this with your rabbit.

how would letting a rabbit have young tell you what breed they are also if its a petshop bun i would not breed from it as its history is unknown. if shes a much loved pet and you had to travel that long for her have you read the posts on here where they have mated thier rabbit up and it has died giving birth would you want to risk this with your rabbit.

i was talking about a rabbit we got before. as this rabbit we have now is a lionhead and was from a breeder. i have decided to get fluffy neutored. thank you for your help. didnt appreciate the nasty comments:(. but thank you for helping me come to this decision:)

i was talking about a rabbit we got before. as this rabbit we have now is a lionhead and was from a breeder. i have decided to get fluffy neutored. thank you for your help. didnt appreciate the nasty comments:(. but thank you for helping me come to this decision:)

you can always get her a husbun from a rescue plenty off lionheads usually found in them.;)

That's great trust me you've made the right decision, bunny breeding really does require alot of skill/money/effort really isn't recommended.

Back