• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breaking All The "Rules" - UD 12/10- v sad news. :(

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
My rabbits REALLY don't seem to know or care what all these supposed rules regarding bonding and so on...

3 days ago, I was having problems. Apollo and Athena had learned how to open a baby gate in order to raid the kitchen of tasty things like hay, forage, veg, potatoes, cat food... all the usual things. I couldn't keep going like this. It was either swap around one of my other 2 pairs again, or try something drastic...:

Bonding a quad before it gets too cold for buns to go outside for the winter.

So I decided to try bonding a quad.

Starting first with Athena & Apollo, River & Takumi.

The start was inauspicious. There was a lot of chasing and fur pulling. But within 24 hours it had calmed down. Extended their space a bit. This morning, they broke out of their bonding space. I found Athena on the couch, Apollo with his head in a bag of forage, Takumi under the dining room table (Athena and Apollo's territory; we hadn't got round to neutralising/reclaiming it for hoomins.) and River with her head in a bag of timothy hay. They'd decided they were ready for more space themselves.

So, in a blind panic, I've rushed to neutralise the hutch River and Takumi were in. I've lined it with lino and vinegar washed everywhere. They only have the hutch (a 6ftx2ft double) and a few puppy crates in front of it for now as it is still very early days. They may not be feeling cautious, but I am!

And they are all in there, happy and content, munching on hay, exploring. Just being a peaceful quad. What's going on?! I thought this was going to take much longer and I'd be really pressed for time regarding getting them outside.

My rabbits break all the rules all the time. I'm not complaining though.

(Pictures another day; I want to let them carry on settling outside.)

Last edited:
There must be some good bunny bonding vibes going around just now, my first ever attempt at bonding is going much better than I expected. Hope they continue to be happy and content for you :)

There must be some good bunny bonding vibes going around just now, my first ever attempt at bonding is going much better than I expected. Hope they continue to be happy and content for you :)

Yes I agree, I don't want to jinx myself but it going rather well here too.

I hope it continues for you too tlc :) x

I gave the buns back their run space today. All is quiet. They seem pretty chilled. (And very interested in the readigrass. ;)

P1070130_zpsoeq4qtmq.jpg

L-R: River, Athena, Apollo

P1070131_zpsspnpnglf.jpg

L-R: River, Takumi, Athena, Apollo

P1070133_zpshlc58boq.jpg

River found some grass...

P1070140_zpsy1p0adcn.jpg

And then Little Bit found it too!

P1070148_zpsur50dun6.jpg

Boys together

P1070143_zps5v5ydpia.jpg

Girls together

P1070142_zpskdqpeuuh.jpg

Another group of three...

Thank you all. :)

Great photos :) I love how 'wild' your runs are, if that makes sense x

Funny what a bit of straw does. I don't really have any other options for their hocks as it's concrete underneath. As for twigs, stumps (they're apple), etc. it's just luck with knowing who I know. :lol: But thank you. I also like knowing they have plenty to do and using whatever I have to hand.

Well I think it looks great and really natural for them. I might have to do something similar as our run is moving onto concrete (still sorting it out) :) x

Well I think it looks great and really natural for them. I might have to do something similar as our run is moving onto concrete (still sorting it out) :) x

If you do, be prepared for a LOT of shifting straw. It also gets everywhere. o_O

But that's better than sore hocks, right?! :lol:

They are all sooo gorgeous (whispers) especially River ... I have a quad (bonded October 2013) who are really happy and settled. They have moved house with me twice with no problems at all. Hope your quad continue to flourish.

Thank you. It's surprised me just how easily this quad worked out. On paper, as such, I believed my having 2 quads was just a pipe dream. Thankfully, they are all still settled and really happy. I just need to sort out more space for them! Sigh... I know where the new runs can go, it's literally just timber I'm short of. Paint, bolts, wire, hinges etc. is REALLY not a problem at the moment.

They are all sooo gorgeous (whispers) especially River ... I have a quad (bonded October 2013) who are really happy and settled. They have moved house with me twice with no problems at all. Hope your quad continue to flourish.

River is probably my most rewarding rabbit at the moment. She came to me with extreme fear aggression, fell out with her sister (Morning; in my other quad.) and although she bonded well to Takumi, she still had her problems. I couldn't touch her, never mind pick her up. Roll on a few months, and she's like a different rabbit. I can stroke her - and she actually enjoys it now! And now, her coat is getting some beautiful auburn undertones. I call it her coat of many colours, even if it is just her winter coat. ;)

This is a devastatingly sad update for me.

Takumi (aka Little Bit) passed away very unexpectedly on Monday/Tuesday night. He's had a thread posted in Rainbow Bridge, detailing his character and what a wonderful, cheeky little man he was. Far, far too young, too.

His wifebun, Rivergrace is doing exceedingly well with Athena and Apollo. She's showing no sign of grief, and neither are they. Thankfully, they all seem very happy together and all is well. I really, REALLY hope that doesn't change any time soon as I would find it hard to cope right now. I hope they remain happy together forever.

But I also know trios are more volatile and I never aimed for them to be in a trio. River is very highly strung and only recently come around to people. Athena is a big personality and very people-friendly. She's beautiful and knows it. Apollo is quite reserved in comparison and can give-or-take people.

Please send vibes that nothing will change for this group (and my others). I'm all a bit woe right now. :(

Back