• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boys Fighting

mgjhowie

New Kit
Hi guys,

New to the forum.

I have two male lop eared rabbits (Boris and Marmite).

About 6 weeks ago they started to fight quite aggressively (I got them when they were very young but weened) - so I booked them in the vets who confirmed that their testes had come through and they have now been neutered.

It will be two weeks on Wednesday since they had the operation. They both occupy a large run and previously shared a hutch for night time, obviously now they are separated but both their hutches are inside the run. This means they can always see and smell each other.

I alternate during the day who has the run so that they are both getting their exercise and freedom.

It must be too soon to properly reintroduce as I have tried this morning and, whilst the previously dominant and most aggressive rabbit (Boris) has completely mellowed out and not as interested in fighting, Marmite wants to carry the feud.

When would be an expected time frame from the point of operation to 2 much more chilled out rabbits? Is all hope lost with them? They both were such good buddies previously.

Thanks
Mike

It is advised to wait about 8 weeks after neuter in order for hormones to subside. Meanwhile don't allow any aggressive behaviour between them as this could hinder them being re-bonded. There is a possibility that they will get along again eventually but it can't be guaranteed. I hope so!

I agree with tonibun. Wait until at least 8 weeks before letting them together at all - any fighting risks the long term bond. If they don't seem ready at +8 weeks, give it another month.

Back