• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bonnie has strange dewlap wounds (possible lice) please help.

She made it :D

Bonnie has come round really well from the operation. She did indeed have molar spurs and the nurse I spoke described them as whoppers. She said that Bonnie’s tongue was partially trapped behind one as well which is what the vet suspected. They have been burred now and she is to be picked up at 5pm and the spurs may come back so we have to watch her for the same symptoms and she will get the same treatment as and when needed.

Thank you sky for all your help and advice. Can I quickly ask if there any special post op dietary requirements I should follow? I presume her wee mouth will be all sore and she will be slow to get back into eating so should I continue with a pellet slurry?

:)

I replied on your other thread when I saw she was around. That's wonderful news :)

Now you know she is a dental bunny you should be able to pick it up earlier next time (as should your vet), any sign of weight loss, any change in behaviour at all, any picky eating, etc, and that's when she needs to go to the vets.

Given her tongue has been involved, I would suggest she will need pain relief for the next few days. I would ask for some Metacam when you pick her up, so that at least you will know she will be comfortable. You could also discuss having a bottle at home so that if/when she needs another, and she starts symptoms at home, you could follow your vets direction and dose her until you can get her to the vets (like, if she starts drooling on a Sunday morning, for example, and you can't get to the vets until Monday, then you can follow your vets advice and give the pain relief on the sunday morning as a 'holding measure' until you can get her to the vets- does that make sense?).

I would provide a buffet for her tonight. A pellet slurry is a good idea, definitely, but I tend to find mine eat pellets and the slurry last. They tend to go for fresh foods first (grass, parsley, basil, dandelion leaves) and dried herbs. If she has a bottle then I would suggest providing a bowl of cooled boiled water (luke warm and cooler). And just try and tempt her with anything that you know she loves normally. She'll also need a heat source :)

I would also suggest taking Nori to collect her and bringing her back in the same carrier and hopefully that will prevent any accidental divorces (although if they are going into a place he has been alone you may find you get some problems).

I replied on your other thread when I saw she was around. That's wonderful news :)

Now you know she is a dental bunny you should be able to pick it up earlier next time (as should your vet), any sign of weight loss, any change in behaviour at all, any picky eating, etc, and that's when she needs to go to the vets.

Given her tongue has been involved, I would suggest she will need pain relief for the next few days. I would ask for some Metacam when you pick her up, so that at least you will know she will be comfortable. You could also discuss having a bottle at home so that if/when she needs another, and she starts symptoms at home, you could follow your vets direction and dose her until you can get her to the vets (like, if she starts drooling on a Sunday morning, for example, and you can't get to the vets until Monday, then you can follow your vets advice and give the pain relief on the sunday morning as a 'holding measure' until you can get her to the vets- does that make sense?).

I would provide a buffet for her tonight. A pellet slurry is a good idea, definitely, but I tend to find mine eat pellets and the slurry last. They tend to go for fresh foods first (grass, parsley, basil, dandelion leaves) and dried herbs. If she has a bottle then I would suggest providing a bowl of cooled boiled water (luke warm and cooler). And just try and tempt her with anything that you know she loves normally. She'll also need a heat source :)

I would also suggest taking Nori to collect her and bringing her back in the same carrier and hopefully that will prevent any accidental divorces (although if they are going into a place he has been alone you may find you get some problems).

Thank you so much for all the advice. I was told I'd be getting metacam to take home anyway but I shall ask for an extra bottle. And taking Nori is a really good idea too, he has been quite lonely without her. Thank you so much Sky, you've been a wonderful help :D

If you get given Metacam in the white bottle it comes in, then that will last for 6 months once open, so that should be fine and if you need to buy another one in six months, then you can :)

I really look forward to an update about when she is home. For some reason this little lady has REALLY touched me and I'm really rooting for her.

If you get given Metacam in the white bottle it comes in, then that will last for 6 months once open, so that should be fine and if you need to buy another one in six months, then you can :)

I really look forward to an update about when she is home. For some reason this little lady has REALLY touched me and I'm really rooting for her.

Ahh I wondered what the shelf life would be, thank you.

She is home now an she is fairly bright and has drunk a lot. The vet and I had a long chat and he explained that due to her age her molars have become slightly misaligned and therefore no longer grind against each other which has allowed them to grow. He also said she is a little deprived of calcium but that is probably due to the fact that she has not been eating her hay and grass as normal. Apparently the spurs may regrow so we have a check up in six weeks and then we will have another one after another 6 weeks. He said she may need a few dentals a year but if she were to get 4 or more he said we would have to consider whether or not that is fair on her. He didn't elaborate but I assume he means pts if she started to need too many? Is that a normal veterinary opinion? Do other dental bunnie owners agree with this?

I've taken a few photos of my poorly girl who is currently resting up with Nori her husbun in my bedroom and will post them in the photos section.

You're rooting and vibes must be amazingly strong because she has pulled through so well. You have been such a comfort and mine of information to me during what has been a really hard time and I cannot thank you enough for that :love::love:

I have just posted on your other thread and just wanted to add one more thing in relation to this question.

fifibutton said:
Do other dental bunnie owners agree with this?

No, I don't agree with that. I think it's a case of looking at the picture of a whole, i.e. what the extent of her problems are, how long she takes to recover, how she has coped with it all, and primarily what SHE wants. She will tell you when enough is enough ad it's really important for you to advocate to the vet about this (bearing in mind I ahve 13 dental bunnies here we go through a lot of dentals at a lot of different intervals, for a lot of different problems, some more severe than others, we have long recoveries and fast recoveries- all bunnies are different).

I have just posted on your other thread and just wanted to add one more thing in relation to this question.

No, I don't agree with that. I think it's a case of looking at the picture of a whole, i.e. what the extent of her problems are, how long she takes to recover, how she has coped with it all, and primarily what SHE wants. She will tell you when enough is enough ad it's really important for you to advocate to the vet about this (bearing in mind I ahve 13 dental bunnies here we go through a lot of dentals at a lot of different intervals, for a lot of different problems, some more severe than others, we have long recoveries and fast recoveries- all bunnies are different).

Thank you for posting this. I personally feel although until today I had no personal experience, that if 4 dentals are fairly spaced out over a year then there is ample room for healthy recovery. I suppose quality of life in other areas counts too and she does have a great life at home with her big run and garden. She is as close to a wild bunnie as can be when she free ranges and I think that is one reason why the bunnies are so happy. Well I hope so anyway but they certainly show it. You must have nerves of steel coping with 13 bunnies and the benefit of your experience has been a massive help to me and I'm sure other people on her too. Thank you so much Sky :)

Back