• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding

PinkEmily

New Kit
Hi there, im looking for a bit of advice on bonding. My situation at the moment is that i have a unneutered male who will be 2 in June. I originally bought him for my female bunny but she passed away under general anesthetic while trying to neuter her. That was around 18 months ago so he has been on his own since :(. I really want to get him a companion because i don't give him as many cuddles as i used to, ive just had a baby.

He lives outside in a double story hutch, hes a lovely bunny just doesn't like being picked up, like most bunnys. How do i go about finding a female friend for him? is there anything i need to look out for? Does Joey need neutering? i am sooo scared about loosing Joey under general anesthetic so have never got this done. Looking for a neutered female.

Ideally, he needs to be neutered otherwise his persistant humping may cause a fight between him and another rabbit.

The op is much easier for males, so I'd suggest getting him done, then looking on here for a female for him :wave:

I think losing a rabbit while being neutered is a rare occurrence. I can totally understand your reticence about doing it but if you don't your boy is going to have to live alone because if you get another buck they will fight, another speyed female and he will pester her and could make her ill. Obviously if she is not speyed then you'll have babies to deal with!

he might also be a bit more sociable and chilled with you if you have him done. my neutered guys have always been much easier than my girls!! :)

hi there i had my male frankie castrated 3 weeks ago and was really worried after losing my girl when she went in to be done,but he is fine hun and is starting to chill out loads :)

Yeah I think you should. He will probably continually want to mate with her otherwise and she could up up with bald patches from fur being plucked. and if she didnt 'want' him all the time she would get upset - in a rabbit way.

Ive found a beautiful girl for him, showed the other half and hes fallen in love with her just as much as i have. Looking to get Joey spayed next week hopefully.

Do i need anything to help them in the bonding process? I have an indoor cage for her to stay in until they are bonded and a run for them to bond. Im so scared about it going wrong and them hurting each other :(

Ive found a beautiful girl for him, showed the other half and hes fallen in love with her just as much as i have. Looking to get Joey spayed next week hopefully.

Do i need anything to help them in the bonding process? I have an indoor cage for her to stay in until they are bonded and a run for them to bond. Im so scared about it going wrong and them hurting each other :(

If the rabbit you are looking at is in a rescue, get them to start the bonding process off for you.

Joey got spayed yesterday and all went well :D Although he doesn't really like me right now :lol:

Ive found one of your very informative posts on bonding Janice, it was very helpful.

Back