• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Trouble

Anna_bee

New Kit
Ok so basically I have had my female rabbit Pepper for over 8 months and she is spayed and well accustomed to my house. Pepper is friendly, mischievous and very active.

A couple of months ago we got her a male mate named George. George is quite lazy, friendly, sweet and loves attention and cuddles.

They're both neutered and I have both their cages next to one another and I swap it around occasionally. However she is always trying to bite him through the bars, whereas he just wants to sniff her.

I tried to bond them in the bath tub and it all seemed to be going well , then nipped him on the head.

I also tried the washing machine bond and she bit him again , but he was okay.

When she's outside in her run and I take him out she goes crazy and starts trying to follow him and starts speeding about.

I haven't been trying to bond them for long but it doesn't seem great so far.

Has anyone got any tips or advice? I don't know if she acts this way because she was here first and possibly thinks shes boss.

:wave: Sound a bit like my two - male is very relaxed, laid back and loves cuddles, female is a bit hyper and always causing trouble.
In my experience females tend to be much more territorial than males. I am pretty sure she would still act that way whether she was there first or not! My female arrived second and continually tried to nip my little lad on the nose through the bars if she got chance. I think that part of this is frustration because they can't actually get to each other.
As long as she doesnt seem to hurt him, and he doesnt retaliate resulting in a fight then leave them to it.
Unfortunately time, patience, and very bitten finger nails is the name of the game.
Good Luck :thumb:

Hmmm,

It's odd because sometimes she does seem interested in him or quite ignorant towards him , but when I tried to bond them in the bath she became quite aggressive but I pulled her away in time so she didn't cause him any harm....

although when I tried it on top of the washing machine she full on bit him and left a little mark.

Both times he didn't really retaliate just seemed to try and get away quickly!

So far it doesn't seem good :(

Try not to be too despondent!
I can't tell you the amount of times I nearly gave up. Obviously if the biting results in actually injuries then you need to stop her before it gets to that point (difficult I know).
Before you ever attempt a bond I think you underestimate the stress it can cause you. It amazed me how two (well actually one - the female) georgeous little fluffy creatures could turn into monsters.
At one point when I was struggling with mine - I moved one of the cages into a different room for a week hoping they would miss each other. I don't know if this is the right thing to do having only gone through this one - but it worked for me.
Fingers crossed you get there in the end.

might sound odd but the full moon may have something to do with it? I think the best bonding occurs during certain times in the lunar calendar or something? I'm no expert, but I am sure I read that.

No, I dont want to give up, Im just scared for the male! I did stop her before when she bit him and he had a little mark on him but nothing bad.

Well I know females are more territorial, so I thought about taking my female to my friends for a week or more then bringing her back and seeing if shes still so territorial?

what do you think??

I am assuming that they are house buns?
Do you have a completely different room you can move her to for a couple of weeks? If not it might be worth seeing if a friend could have her.
I suspect that she will still be quite territorial when she comes back as she won't have forgotten and her scent will still be there - but this did work for me. It might have been more luck than judgement on my part - i'm not sure! Perhaps she classed it as a punishment and thought she better behave herself

Yeah they both are, I have other rooms in my house but the thing is she has been in every one of them so I don't know if it will make a difference?

I will try bonding them at my friends house anyway and see how it goes and if it doesn't change I will leave her there for a few weeks and bring her back then see how it goes ..

I have found a place nearby that is a rescue centre who will do it but they haven't got back to me yet about what they do

Back