• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding quandary

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
Hi all

Just in abit of a quandary and wondering if I could have some advice.
My bun Milly was recently widowed and I would like her to be bonded again soon as she is lonely.I have a foster bun staying with me as a rescue"overflow"at the moment and im keen to keep him and also get him out of his smallish enclosure he has at the moment which is temporary but not really big enough.Im thinking about whether or not to bond them and then they could live in Millys large enclosure.

The thing is there is a bun,Bruce, at the local rabbit rescue who I believe would be perfect for Milly.He is confident and cheeky which is exactly what Milly needs to bring out her full character whereas the male here,Morris, is quite shy and, if they bonded, would not necessarily do that.

Im not sure whether to hold out for Bruce who will be in rescue for alittle while as his teeth need attention(but I will be adopting him anyway as ive fallen for him)or bond her with Morris who has been neutered for 3 weeks now so should be ok and needs more space and company.I think Milly would be ok on her own for a little while longer but I would love to see her really happy again.

Hope that makes sense and ive explained it properly.Im worried about going down the trio route as it holds so many risks and I don't want to end up with 3 singles if it all goes pear shaped.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

I should say that if I have one of the boys as a husbun with Milly,the other male will have a proper sized indoor enclosure and a wife in the near future.

Last edited:
I get these types of pproblems at times. I've got quiet pairs and quiet/extrovert pairs and tbh it doesn't seem to make much difference to the happiness of them. So, as you are going to be having both bunnies :love: either could make for a happy bond. I think it's only an advantage from our point of view, like if you have 2 quiet buns it's not as "interesting" as if one or both is extrovert. I hope she likes whichever bun you decide on.

The other factor to consider is if you can cope with a dental bun - Bruce may well need ongoing dental treatment for life. Although this may be routine, it will still have a cost to be factored in (eg molar spurs burred back every 3 months could cost around £150 a time). Obviously it depends on what he is having done and why - but I would want to know more about the implications for the future.

Trios are a brilliant. Well worth considering.

I get these types of pproblems at times. I've got quiet pairs and quiet/extrovert pairs and tbh it doesn't seem to make much difference to the happiness of them. So, as you are going to be having both bunnies :love: either could make for a happy bond. I think it's only an advantage from our point of view, like if you have 2 quiet buns it's not as "interesting" as if one or both is extrovert. I hope she likes whichever bun you decide on.

Ah right,thankyou.I was thinking it would be an advantage for Milly to bond with a character but actually putting it like that she could be equally happy with a quiet boy.I could then try them and if for any reason it doesn't work I will try with Bruce.Shes so submissive it shouldn't be too difficult-I hope!

The other factor to consider is if you can cope with a dental bun - Bruce may well need ongoing dental treatment for life. Although this may be routine, it will still have a cost to be factored in (eg molar spurs burred back every 3 months could cost around £150 a time). Obviously it depends on what he is having done and why - but I would want to know more about the implications for the future.

Trios are a brilliant. Well worth considering.
Thanks for this.Its just his front teeth which may need removing,his back ones are fine.The vet is monitoring them.

I don't know why im so nervous about a trio except that ive never done one before.If there was a definite cuddly pair and one abit left out would that one feel it?Maybe that's my worry.

Back