• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding my two rabbits

Rachel14

New Kit
Hi, I have a male and female rabbit which were neutered and spayed four weeks ago. I have started the bonding process; they have smelt each other through their cages, I have swapped blankets between them both already. They now hop around the garden together and I have seen them both groom each other. The only thing is that my male occasionally goes to mount my female. She does not get aggressive at all with him but will hop away. What I’m worried about is when they are left alone together in their hutch and run ( he will be moving in with her). They have been in her run and hutch together under supervision. How will I know they can be safely left alone? Will he keep pestering her?
Thanks

The male will be wanting to show the female who is the dominant one, hence the mounting. This should die down soon but be careful about putting them in the female's hutch as she might still feel territorial over it. Have you given the hutch a good clean? You can use a solution of 50/50 white vinegar/water.

Ok thank you for your advice. They have been hopping around the garden together under supervision and have been in each other’s hutches and runs. They have both used each other’s litter trays too. My female didn’t seem to mind him being in her hutch and run but he is definitely more keen on her than she is on him. Should I continue to let them do this together?

The general advice is if they are not fighting then keep them together 24/7. This allows them to develop their bond. This is what I have always done. Soon you will have 2 happily bonded Bunnies. :thumb:

Back