• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Mel and Tilly - um..?!

Melon_Pip

Young Bun
I must admit I don't think this bond will work now... hoping to be proved wrong!

Bunnies have been togther since 8ish last night (I'm a night owl so was up until 4/5ish). Neutral space - pen. With two litter trays, two food bowls, only one water (bottle shortage!)
Put male (Mel) in first, then female (Tilly) immediately after. Both sniffed around. Mel seemed intent on escaping, rattling the bars, digging at the floor. Then they went for each other, small circling. Made loud noises, sprayed water, they stopped. They did this now and then but mainly explored space and stayed away from each other. Each claimed a litter tray as their own (I wasn't going to put them in at first but they helped thwart the escape attempts!)

Mel has pretty much stayed cowering in his litter tray, whilst Tilly relaxes and flops all over the place (she is very floppy! I thought she was ill/dead the other day cos she was flopped on her side and didn't even twitch when I sat down next to her, after knowing her just 24hrs).

This is them laste last night:
DSCN1349.jpg

Slept next to them; it seemd to be a stalemate, not actually fighting, or would have separated for the night. A few brief scuffles since then, quickly seprated by noise and/or water spray. What seems to have happened overnight (5-midday, I mean!) is that Mel has stayed in the litter tray, and venturing out gets him chased back in. Plus she periodically goes to sniff him, sometimes trying to bite his bum. I talk to them which seems to help it be a sniff rather than a bite. He was sitting just outside the litter tray with both of them munching on greens a couple of hours ago, thought this was a good sign but nope... I saw he had been bitten on the nose (blood). Have checked buns for further injury.

I managed to swop the litter trays around. Mel has stayed in the same corner, although did venture out towards the other litter tray corner once I'd swopped them. This got him chased back.

This isn't good. It reminds me of attempting to bond a trio a year ago - Mel and new bun were at a total stalemate, although at least they did interact! It's also reminding me of when I came back from holiday, and let previous pair out into other rooms too soon (they had been at bunny boarding), and Mel just claimed all the extra space and wouldn't let other bun into it! I tried restricting space and neutralising it but every time I tried to expand it gradually again, Mel would be adventurous and explore and claim all the space again! (I tried physically carrying them into other rooms too, letting them get used to it before opening the door back to their home room, but Mel still used the space and companion didn't.) I never figured than one out - this seems the same. I can imagine setting up a new neutral space and Tilly claiming it whilst Mel hides in the corner again...

Help!
New space? Earthquake experience on washing machine in a carrier? (last resort) What??!
They are currently snoozing in the litter trays. The trays will smell of each other.

ps. Absolute last resort is taking Tilly back to rescue and choosing a timid little bun so Mel can be boss...

pps. Tilly is huge, Mel is medium sized (4.5 and 2.6 kg).

Last edited:
I'm afraid I have no idea what you can do but hopefully someone else will be along soon! Sending lots of vibes that they can still bond xxx

You will need to give them lots more time and as long as they aren;t fighting then this is a good sign. They seem pretty happy going off their ears. I have only just come on line so need to read up a bit of history on them which might help with any advice.

I'm back. Is Mel the black bunny? Have you put lots more hay in there since the photo was taken? This will help to give them something to focus on while they get used to one another.

Mel is the smaller, brown bunny. Male.
My main concern is that he is barely leaving the litter tray.
More hay gone in!

More sniffing without biting happening...

ETA: An hour later and Tilly is lounging around and allowing Mel to explore slightly. All is not lost then!

Last edited:
Just seen this. Things are looking good. As tonibun says, these things take time.

It was Mel just staying in the litter tray that was bothering me. Every time he tried to come out, she'd chase him back. They have been together permanently for 5 days now.
So 3 days ago I put them in the carrier togther next to the washing machine whilst I cleaned the pen and replaced litter trays, and put a huge pile of yummy plants (nasturtiums) in the middle. They both munched for ages then they both explored and within a few hours were lying near each other.
Tilly is just so relaxed - I keep thinking she's ill because she just flops over so quickly and only moves if you touch her! She also comes bounding over for a stroke, well they both do! But it seems like she just got so relaxed around Mel and couldn't be bothered to chase anymore. Mel was leaping over her and she was just like "Meh".
The grooming started last night, the pic is the first groom! I'm still not sure who's dominant as Tilly let Mel hump her, but the grooming is all Mel grooming Tilly.
I'm cleaning/neutralising the permanent housing and hope to move them into it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Good luck tomorrow. I've got a few pairs where it isn't clear who is the dominant one. It sounds as if your female might be the dominant one some of the time.

Tbh Mel just seemed utterly miffed to see such a big rabbit, and one who wouldn't back off! He didn't cower in the litter tray, he sat their indignantly!
I hope she grooms him back...

Just passing by to collect my Overenthusiatic Idiot Award...
Well, they were getting on so well I thought it was time for a hop about the room. Started of beautifully, they explored together and went to snooze under my bed. Then after half and hr or so stupid me left the room, answered the phone, and returned to a room of fur...
Both buns fine but wrecked the bond. Back to circling and fur pulling. Mainly ignoring each other.
Mel is not happy with Tilly. He wants grooming, and she will not, even when he was grooming her loads before this incident. I don't think he will accept her if she won't groom him at all.
I really, really want to hand them both over to a rescue and get Mel back either bonded with Tilly or another rabbit. I want Tilly to find a husbun too but I don't know if Mel can be him. This is not possible - there's not even a bonding service nearby. I am losing my mind a bit due to various stresses and am struggling to deal with this. I'm around working from home so am with them.

ETA: Its horribly complicated by Christmas in 4 weeks and leaving them with a bunny sitter (experienced, vet nurse). I don't want Mel to be alone because he was so sad alone, but if they aren't bonded - eek!
I also don't really want to take Tilly back to the rescue as she was there for so long before. There's another rescue who might take her if I can bond Mel with one of theirs but I just can't do that now. I can't deal with the process from scratch again right now. I'm sorry this is a bit personal but I'm hanging on by a thread myself, literally praying for a miracle here! Oh and the other rescue involves a long complicated process to adopt which is fair enough but arghhhh why does Christmas have to be now?!

Last edited:
I would give them another week, say. Perhaps the phone scared her. Hope they have settled down again! How old is Tilly?

I agree give them more time. I do so hope you manage to bond them. I well remember how scarey it can be.

As for hanging on by a thread ... sympathy. Had to rehome a few animals due to raging anxiety a year back. Not a great time.

Phone was in other room, not loud. And she is so chilled nothing scares her!
I have no idea how old she is; I'd guess around 2-3 (due to size on arrival at the rescue, and slight dewlap but not much so presumably not too old when arrived and spayed).
I really wish I knew a rabbity person or two nearby! It's awkward having no-one who understands this stuff and no-one I can trust to look after them for a weekend without having to take them to a professional.

Last edited:
Now they are mainly ignoring each other and in opposite sides of cage/run. Mel is sneakily trying to venture round the sleeping dragon type form of Tilly (he's hilarious actually; poking nose above the box, then round the edge like a spy in a film). Occasionally sniffing noses and a bit grunty but not chasing... I get the impression Mel is sort of trying to provoke Tilly/tell her off but also scared of her.

Back