• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding, just not happening!

Bigbunnybella

Young Bun
I think I’ve over rabbited myself if that’s a thing.

Briefly, because I have posted on here before but only now and then and not for ages so I don’t expect anyone will remember.

I had 2 rabbits who I’d got separately from a rescue when the doe had to be pets. She was very old as far as we knew.
It coincided with lock down and all the animal shelters being closed so I was really bothered about having one buck alone and was unable to find him a new partner so decided eventually to buy a baby from a breeder.
Along came Bella. Bella is now pretty massive. I was promised by the breeder that a big Doe and smaller buck would be fine. The introductions went very well and they bonded easily.
Sadly the buck passed away some months later. His age was unknown and I found him curled up in bed one morning. :(
So I was left with a young lonely female.
Was offered another neutered buck, took him on. By this point my vets were open so I took Bella to be spayed before introducing them. Bella turned out to be a boy! So I figured best to castrate anyway and was advised I could still probably keep them together.
Sadly this isn’t seeming to be going to happen. Since being done Bella has become pretty unhandleable. He’s so big and strong I just can’t do anything much with him. That sounds rediculous, people say that about huge dogs or horses but it’s true 😳
Now, I don’t need to pick him up for cuddles or anything silly, but I used to transfer them in and out to a run etc and just basic health care, nails vet trips etc.
The other issue is they are going to kill each other. The fighting is instant and extreme. I’ve had to use a broom to break them up. There’s blood and hair everywhere. I just can’t see this working out.
Is it awful to give up and just keep them side by side indoors (in a run in a outbuilding)
I’m not totally happy at the sizes, I split my run, supposedly temporarily but I think they are ok. The other rabbit can still have outdoors time (or not?) They don’t appear stressed by each other’s presence with mesh between 🤷🏻*♀️
Advice, ideas gratefully accepted. Thanks

I think by the sounds of things getting them together is very unlikely to happen. Keeping them side by side is one option, obviously you may need to make some changes to their accommodation to ensure that it is large enough if the arrangement is to be permanent.

Are you sure new bunny is a neutered buck and not an intact female? Or even male with undescended parts. Not sure if he was vet checked to verify gender.

Back