• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Humphrey and Lottie

Humphrey is about 2 years old and was castrated 2 weeks ago, so I am not leaving them in a situation where he can get Lottie pregnant as I know it needs to be 4 weeks.

Lottie is 8/9 weeks old and arrived yesterday.

They are living in separate cages in view of each other. They have been out together for 10+ Minutes but only when I can ensure Humphrey cannot get too close...there has been grooming and Humphrey will try and hump her, but I obviously don't let him. I just push him away. She doesn't seem remotely bother by it.

When he is out and she is away he grooms her through the bars and when she is out and he is away he grooms her through the bars. I assume that this is all good :) She goes to him to be groomed!

I know I need to leave the humping till 4 weeks after his op...but is what I am doing with them now okay?

They also both jump in and out of each others cages and neither of them seemed bothered by this. Is this all okay?

I have done intro's with Ratties (male to male) lots of times but never with Bunnies. I thought I would record my experiences here so people can add advice and I can see progress :)

I thought I would post an update.

Humphrey and Lottie have been out playing with each other most evenings. Humphrey has almost stopped showing any interest in humping Lottie, although I am not leaving them alone until his 4 weeks are up! They eat together out of the same bowl and swap cages of their own accord...hopping in and out of each others cages during the evenings. They seem very much in love :)

Humphrey has always been a very shy bunny but Lottie is really bringing him out of himself....he has even learnt to hop in and out of his own cage :) He isn't quite at home on the laminate flooring yet but has a "mat" he comes out on and is starting to try the flooring out! He spends time on the sofa with me watching tv.

They have another 10 days of supervised free-range and if everything carries on going as well I am hoping they will be living together full time :)

DSC01261.jpg

DSC01267.jpg

DSC01268.jpg

I have rearranged their cages so they are next to each other, they spend any time in their cages looking longingly at each other!!!

DSC01271.jpg

That sounds like a great start. If they keep it up it will be a dream bond. Well done. Gorgeous rabbit pics.

es it sounds very good...
i would be a little worried about the initial humpng. if you should leave them for 4 weeks then surely he could of cought her and he might of stopped humping as hes already inpregnated her???? :? i thought it can only take seconds and if they are hopping cages then you cant monitor them....
if i am wrong you sound like you have got very happy bunnies. :D

Thank you for your replies!

They tend to be out one at a time while I "do things" and then I sit with them for an hour or two and they come out together! If I need to leave the room I take Lottie with me. They have never been together without me sat with them. As soon as Humphrey started humping I seperated them, they weren't in each others cages together without very close supervision. Lottie tends to go in Humphreys cage and then he goes in her cage (or vice versa) and they stare at each other through the bars!!!

He tried to hump this morning...wrong end though and I just moved him away! I am 99.9% sure there is no way she could be pregnant...I really really do not want baby rabbits!

He tried to hump this morning...wrong end though and I just moved him away! I am 99.9% sure there is no way she could be pregnant...I really really do not want baby rabbits!

It only takes a second, there are so many people who get caught out doing this and they always say it wont happen to them. Personally I would leave them apart until he has done his time and then introduce them properly and leave together. Doing it this way will be far less stressful than keep allowing them together and then separting them.

It has now been over 4 weeks since Humphrey had his op!

Lottie and Humphrey are now out together all the time I am home, he still sometimes tries to hump her and sometimes she sort of backs under him which I find really odd! They happily lie next to each other and eat together all the time! They happily share cages and lie in each others whether alone or together. It seems to have gone better than I could have ever expected!

So my big questions in what next? When can I just leave them together 24/7? Any advice gratefully recieved!

I'm not an expert but i'd say that its gone very well and i personally would start as soon as you have time where you can be in the house and possibly sleep in the same room (living room if they're in a kitchen) for a few days. If nothing happens during that time then i'd be happy to leave them to get on and go back to my own bed.

If anyone can correct me please do as I said i'm not an expert :)

As far as bonding goes it sounds brill.

I must say I too am concerned regarding pregnancy. As janice-arc said it only takes a second. Plus I'd always wait a minimum of 6 weeks, I'm not sure 4 weeks is enough.

Thought I would post an update. I had all weekend at home since my son was unwell and so we spent the time letting Humphrey and Lottie spend the weekend together. By yesterday evening they retired to the big cage and snuggled up next to each other...so I took the spare cage away. I don't think I could have asked for it to go and smoother...they really took the lead and I just ensured there was no humping and no signs of aggression!

They do seem very happy together and lie stretched out next to each other all the time :)

My next big question is...when should I get Lottie done and will I have to rebond them? I hate to think of them being split up...even for a short period of time. Humphrey is a different bunny since meeting Lottie!

Back