• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding How do I move a new pair from neutral area

rosaleen

Warren Scout
How do I move two newly bonding rabbits for, confined neutral space in bedroom to larger living room

Hi sorry I’d written a long explanation but it said I wasn’t logged in ……
So, I’m new to pair bonding, done lots of research on this forum and other links inc videos. Seen stress bonding,which I now know is wrong on three separate occasions so have seen the behaviour when this was done.
I’ll hVe a confined neutral space in my bedroom,. I live in a flat and don’t know how best to move them from there if they successfully bond to the living room as it’d the home and therefore territory of the older free range male.he isn’t used to being handled so though maybe coax him into his carrier to return him there but unsure about the young new rabbit

How long have they been together? If they are eating together and sitting close together, and they have been like this for a week or two, then it should be safe to put them in the other room. As the room was your male's territory then this will make it easier to put them in there rather than if it had been the female's. Is the other Rabbit a female and spayed?

Thanks so very much for your info on how their behaviour should develop and especially how long to keep them in the neutral area which I’d been unsure about.

Iwas getting ahead of myself with my question. I’m picking up the new rabbit Saturday am from a rescue centre. They had offered to do the bonding but were ok when said I’d do it. I feel fairly confident. I’ve bought a small animals playpen and a refill for my pet remedy calmer.
The new rabbit is a one year old spayed female.my male is 11. He’s quite timid His previous companion a female aged 11 recently died. She was much more outgoing and some of it rubbed off on him but not a lot.

How lovely that you're giving your old boy a new friend. I'm so sorry his previous companion died recently.

What I have done when bonding is, when they're at the point that they're getting along well in the neutral space, I move their bonding pen into their permanent space and move the bunnies to the new location in a carrier. Then, usually, they have a bit of a setback as they decide who's boss again in the new space. Once they've settled, I increased the size of the pen, and keep increasing their space every few days until they eventually they have access to the whole room/space.

Edit: Since he's not used to being handled, could you lure him into the carrier with some food?

Thanks for your sympathy about my lovely Harriet who passed away. My vet used to call her a little old lady but to me she was a tough old bird.

Thank you SO much for what you advised about the neutral space. . It sort of sounds obvious when you say it but I literally would never have thought of it. It was like a light bulb going on in my head.
Yes I’m sure I can lure/entice him in to a carrier with the right food.
Now I’m starting to feel more relaxed and positive about a complete and successful outcome. I plan to stay in my bedroom all the time for a couple of days at least, especially if things are a bit rocky at the start. This will also help me develop an idea of what the new young doe’s character is like.

Aw, a tough old bird bunny. :love:

I'm glad you're starting to feel more relaxed and positive about it. Staying with them the entire time is a good idea, especially in the beginning. Hopefully your boy and the new bunny will have an easy bond, and you'll get to know the new bunny a bit, too. And if you have more questions, you can always ask them here.

I’m really happy knowing that there people on the forum who can advise me in case I need more support with this.

I honestly appreciate it. Thanks so much.

I can see me posting regular updates about this.

Last edited:
I’m really happy knowing that there people on the forum who can advise me in case I need more support with this.

I honestly appreciate it. Thanks so much.

I can see me posting regular updates about this.
Yes, please keep us updated and reach out whenever you need advice. :)

Bonding the next stage

Hope this works. It’s the third time I’m typing and my arthritic hands are complaining even more.
I’d really like some more advice please.
Bonding. Started 24 hours ago.
In 3 days I’ll move them from the neutral bedroom to their permanent position in the living room, using the playpen to still keep them confined (for how long please)
The only really suitable place is the current litter tray area. The litter tray is a large plastic dog bed 90cm by 60cm and in front a similar size covered with small mats. My plan is to thoroughly clean the bed with vinegar to rid it of the older bucks smell. I’ll use the hay etc from the original neutral place for the bed and cover the mats with the 3 day old bedding towels etc. is this enough to minimise the territorial flare up? I could just take everything out but would that just delay the flare up?
Thanks for all your help so far

Ps the bonding is going really well. after the chasing and mounting mid evening and overnight (keeping me awake but never mind) the new young doe looks like she’s trying to groom the buck to within an inch of his life which he is loving

Sorry just reread tonibuns post saying to keep them as they are for a week or two. So looks like I need to do a rethink. Got confused cos the RWAF video I watched on bonding said there should be no negative behaviour by the third day, which yes isn’t the same as saying it’s ok to think of moving them after 3 days

Back