• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding help

Bunnies16

New Kit
We’ve just started rebonding our 2 female rabbits after months of being apart after fighting and then spaying and waiting for hormones to die down. They have been together twice now in a small unfamiliar area. Both times they havent fought but the one has been nipping the other. They both turned and faced each other and had a bit of a stare out for a while then went off and started eating again together. Is this all normal? Trying not to interve too early and stop them interacting but don’t want it to escalate into a big fight!

We’ve just started rebonding our 2 female rabbits after months of being apart after fighting and then spaying and waiting for hormones to die down. They have been together twice now in a small unfamiliar area. Both times they havent fought but the one has been nipping the other. They both turned and faced each other and had a bit of a stare out for a while then went off and started eating again together. Is this all normal? Trying not to interve too early and stop them interacting but don’t want it to escalate into a big fight!

What you are describing sounds normal to me at this stage :D

Two females is quite a tough bond to establish, but not impossible with patience and perseverance. When you say they have been together twice, how long for and why do you then separate them? I find with rabbits, if you keep pulling them apart then you never get past the nipping and chasing stage to what they would really be like together.

If there's a big fight (circling, fighting in a ball whirling round etc) you should have your gauntlets on and intervene.

Good luck :)

I love the idea of bunnies staring each other out (& not fighting). I agree with mightmaxs advice .

Good luck with your bonding

Hi,

As MM has said, a female bond is difficult but you have the upper hand that they have previously lived together. My two females took just over three months to bond and they are from different litters, (a month age gap).

I found the best way to bond was to keep them together, as doing the dates seemed to get so far then they'd get confused and not be able to sort out their dominance properly.

If you do need to stop a fight, do not end the bonding session straight after a fight. Always try to end your bonding session on a positive e.g. favourite herbs/greens together so they relate each other to a positive experience.
If they live side by side, it often helps to feed hay/veg next to each other at the mesh as eating is a social interaction.

Please feel free to PM/ask more questions. Going from everything that you've said, I'd do overnight bonding sessions with them but you may not feel confident doing this yet.

Thank you for both your replies. I have been separating them as I have done lots of reading and it seems to suggest to do several bonding sessions increasing the time together and also starting with a really small area in an unfamiliar space and then increase the space each time. The first time they were together for 15 minutes then the 2nd time 20 minutes. Do you think I should be just putting them together then ? Still in an unfamiliar space ? How will I know that they are ready to go back together full time?

Thank you for both your replies. I have been separating them as I have done lots of reading and it seems to suggest to do several bonding sessions increasing the time together and also starting with a really small area in an unfamiliar space and then increase the space each time. The first time they were together for 15 minutes then the 2nd time 20 minutes. Do you think I should be just putting them together then ? Still in an unfamiliar space ? How will I know that they are ready to go back together full time?

Its really what you find more comfortable. Bonding is definitely an individual thing and each person finds their own technique that they are most comfortable with.

Some people swear by "dating" techniques, others swear by just putting them together and keeping them together. You may benefit for trying them for an hour, then seeing how they go if you're uncomfortable jumping in at the deep end. At least then if after an hour you feel they're getting stressed you can put them back in their respected cages.

It'll always be done in your neutral/unfamiliar place, until a bond is established.

Amount of space available is also another thing suited to each individual bonder. I done bonding with approx 25sqft which gave me enough room to sit in with them and intervene if needed. Because the bonding had to be done for a long time they then got moved into another neuteral room in a large dog crate (approx 15sqft) so I was able to sleep in my bed and get up in the night if needed. When they were moved back into their shared accommodation once their bond was established, we started with approx 25sqft of room and gradually increased it over time, if any arguments broke out the space got reduced again until they were settled again.

You'll normally know by seeing mutual grooming, laying together, "bunny flops", generally relaxed behaviour.
Things like fur pulling, humping and nipping/chasing should also be non-existent or at least rare. (Both my females still have the odd chasing, humping & fur pulling but they're most definitely bonded)

ETA: I forgot to add, that moving their environment can also cause them to need to re-establish their hierarchy and is normal. It doesn't mean the bond is broken.

Unfamiliar / neutral space seems to be the only thing bunny bonders agree on. Some do dates as you have been doing, some try to leave them together for as long as possible & only separate after fights (the positive end DP mentions is worth doing). Of course all bunnies are different & different styles suit different bunnies & owners. For more difficult (ie same sex or groups) it can take a while so you obviously need to factor in what you can manage on top of any other commitments you may have.

Personally I prefer not to separate once they have been introduced. I'd definitely keep them in their unfamiliar space. Most people will move them to their permanent living accomodation after several days of no aggression & lots of positive behaviours (lying next to each other, eating together, grooming)

Hi Bunnies16 :D

OK, I don't do it by the book here, but having done hundreds of successful pairings with my own buns and rescues/fosters -

I *don't* use a small area. I use a medium sized area (usually my kitchen) with two litter trays, several boxes with more than one/two exits, and rugs etc. I also put food and water in several bowls around the place. There is no excuse for fighting :D

I also never separate. If necessary I sleep downstairs and listen for scuffles. It just takes an age when you separate in my experience. I like to get the scuffling over with and then they can settle down to playtime and cuddles forever onwards :D

Do what feels comfortable for you - and remember the more stress they feel from you, the more anxious they will be. So be confident in what you decide and good luck xx

Back