• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding help

vicky_26

Warren Scout
So my attempt to bond Parker and Hugo wasn't very successful and I would really appreciate some help as to what to do next.

I set up a puppy pen in my living room and put Parker and Hugo in there.
Couple of initial scuffles, chasing and fur pulling. Within hour seemed to calm down and up to Sunday plenty of grooming and seemed to be getting on well.

Then I messed up. I had extended their area as Hugo was chomping at the bit to have a run around. they had both been out in my lounge totally fine, no chasing, and pretty much same behaviour as within the pen. However, somehow they managed to get past a temp barrier I had set up and went in the back porch...which is where Parker is based. I had started to neutralise the area with white vinegar but I think her little wooden Ikea bed triggered her territorial nature and there was fur pulling and chasing.

Straight away put them both back in the pen (very upset that I might have ruined things by not being as vigilant as I should) but they did calm down however now Hugo seemed really wary of Parker. There was grooming, a fair bit of sitting apart but some sitting/laying down together.

However, it seemed when Parker made a sudden movement it would startle Hugo and he would look to be about to starting chasing behaviour. I seemed to be able to calm him down by gently talking to him and telling him to calm down. There was a scuffle late Sunday and I decided rightly or wrongly to take Parker out of the pen and leave her in the front room so they we're still in the same room but either side of the puppy pen.
Monday morning I put Parker back in the pen and apart from one initial scuffle! the behaviour from the previous day continued.
I had to go to work today :0(

My question is, of I continue to do this could it ever work?
As Hugo is in the pen all the time and Parker in and out would this then make it not a neutral area?

Should I admit defeat and look in to bonding services?

Although I'd read lots on here I really didn't think I would fail so miserably. With Poppy (bridge bun) and Parker I didn't follow any 'rules' and just put them together and there was never any issues! Clearly I was very lucky,

I am sorry for the long post and that I am posting so much about this.... Just could really do with some good advice.

It doesn't help I live on my own so have no help at all

As hard as it is, I would try moving them both to a much smaller neutral area. I've always found that mine have to be in a really tight space for 24 hours before attempting to move to something a little bigger. I usually have a small puppy crate not much bigger than their vet carry case. They have enough room to stand, periscope and lay fully stretched out but not much more. I've found 12 hours to be the minimum in this situation. Then I go to a 4ft dog crate (at the most - sometimes I make something a bit smaller with c&c pannels). I slowly, slowly increase the space, almost inches at a time before they have the space of a large rabbit run or a smallish room.

Of course, no two bunnies are the same and some bond almost immediately. But in my experience, as soon as they have room to make sudden movements, a chase/bite situation occurs. As I normally have to book a week off work and almost have to force a bond, I'm afraid that's the way I have to do it. It's either that or no bonding at all so I figure a week of restrictions and stress isn't a lot to ask for a lifetime of freedom and company.

So in answer to your original question, I wouldn't give up yet. Initial observations sound positive :thumb:.

Thank you.... Clearly where I went wrong was not making the area small enough as it did seem sudden movements that caused chasing. My problem is I am running out of neutral space!

The only other place I can think of is an under the stairs cupboard which I have. small and I would obv clear it out and make it even smaller with the puppy pen panels to ensure they can't move around much and I could eventually increase the space out in to my living room??? (which isn't neutral and a shared space really although obviously not at the same time unrestricted)

I have got some time booked off at the end of August so I could try to do it again then? I would have at least 5 days.

Waiting until you have 5 days off sounds like a great plan :thumb:. The only problem I can foresee with the cupboard under the stairs is access. If they suddenly scrap, can you dive in quickly to break it up? What about the bathroom, or have you already used that?

Whilst a neutral area is the ideal, in your situation I wouldn't worry too much about having previously used an area. It's not like they were trying to kill each other so just treating the area with something that will neutralise any residual smell should be ok.

Thank you for your advice.

That really makes sense with their behaviour and the space thing. Clearly as there wasn't the trust yet any sudden movement was taken as a potential fight hence the chasing behaviour.....

They do seem to 'like' each other as they are grooming very occasionally through the bars and they will sit near each other so I am hoping it will work eventually.

New plan....end August, very small area, lots more patience....

Back