• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding help! Rabbits biting eachother!

My rabbit is four years old and i decided to give her some company since im not around her all day long. My neighbor also wanted to bond her one year old rabbit with another rabbit. When we brought the rabbits together we separated them but put the cages next to each other so they could get used to each other. once both rabbits calmed down we removed the devider. At first, the rabbits just sniffed around. then my rabbit ran over to the other side of the cage and My neighbors rabbit followed. THey touched noses and seemed at peace and then my rabbit growled (yes, growled) and bit the other rabbit! What went wrong??

info: both the rabbits are female, My rabbit is 4 years old, My neighbors rabbit is 1 years old, this is my first rabbit

rabbit lifestyle: My rabbit lives outside in a hutch, she gets her food around 9am she gets taken out into her Xpen around 10am and she gets put back at 8pm and gets her food at 8:30pm.

her diet: its around 70% hay 25% vegitables and greens and 5% pellets and fruits

Help me please if you could!!
let me know if you have any questions and i will do my best to answer them

I am afraid that 2 females will fight especially if they are not neutered. Also, female rabbits are highly territorial so your rabbit would not like another rabbit in her territory. Are the rabbits neutered?

Hi welcome to the forum. I don't have any first hand experience of bonding bunnies, but if you wanted your bunny to have some company, an option could be for you to bond her with a neutered male. Not sure if rescues are rehoming yet, some do bonding for you, which would be easier, just a thought.

I am afraid that 2 females will fight especially if they are not neutered. Also, female rabbits are highly territorial so your rabbit would not like another rabbit in her territory. Are the rabbits neutered?

no the rabbits arent spayed. i brought my rabbit to my neighbors place and her rabbit isnt territorial. my neighbors rabbit has fostered a few orphaned bunnies that were removed from there litter to early like 4-6 weeks

Hi welcome to the forum. I don't have any first hand experience of bonding bunnies, but if you wanted your bunny to have some company, an option could be for you to bond her with a neutered male. Not sure if rescues are rehoming yet, some do bonding for you, which would be easier, just a thought.

okay thank you! i will try it out!

Back