• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding for a complete beginner

Saucepot

Alpha Buck
I have a house bun called Sophie who I adopted back in April. She has been spayed. An opportunity has arisen for me to give a home to an unwanted buck, appox 6 months old and unneutered. I would get him neutered, not a problem but what is best to do bonding wise?

Try bonding them myself with advice away from my home (at my mums) as I believe Does are very territorial.

Take them somewhere (maybe someone on here knows where) who is experienced and can bond them for me for a charge

I would probably have to bond them first then get him neutered after as I dont have 2 accomodations to house 2 single rabblits, would this work out ok or would he just constantly hump poor Sophie?

I would worry if they didn't bond as I couldn't have 2 single rabbits so don't know wether to risk it as not fair on the unwanted buck :(

What do you think? :wave:

Personally if I did not have accommodation for two singles I wouldn't get the bunny. You do really need to neuter the male before bonding as he would keep pestering her and she may get annoyed. Why not get one already neutered from a rescue and they could do the bonding for you.

You must neuter the male before bonding. He will drive her mad otherwise, especially at the age he is at.

To be honest I would bond them yourself in a neutral space. I sent my first pair away to be neutered as they were two males but I bonded Strawberry and Snowdrop myself and it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be.

My OH and I decided to adopt Sophie as a single housebun and she is a delight and we were not 'looking' for another bunny but heard about this one from a friend and he will be going to the RSPCA in a couple of days if he doesn't get a home. We can offer a lovely home and of course I know Sophie would be happier with a friend but we are trying to be sensible and not take on another bunny in a hurry for it to go wrong!! we were going to go the rescue route once we move but that will be another couple of years yet.......

You must neuter the male before bonding. He will drive her mad otherwise, especially at the age he is at.

To be honest I would bond them yourself in a neutral space. I sent my first pair away to be neutered as they were two males but I bonded Strawberry and Snowdrop myself and it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be.

How long after neutering can I bond them?

How long after neutering can I bond them?

They say 6 weeks to let hormones etc calm down. This is especially important if the female isnt neutered as she can still get pregnant.

Personally I would give it 3 weeks, unless he is a particularly hormonal bunny.

I had Bungle neutered on Friday and am planning on trying to bond him into my pair after 2-3 weeks as he isnt hormonal at all.

Back