• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding buns

Clair071085

Warren Scout
Hello all, hope everyone & their gorgeous bunnies are doing good. So the time has come for trying again to bond Bella & Morgan. They have been living in downstairs room with divider since dec. I’m absolutely dreading this as they fought first time round. Bellas in good health now & not due another dental so thinking a good time. I just wanted some advice on how to go about this please? I have a room upstairs that’s neutral & lots of c&c grids to build a pen. I have done so much reading on groups, online & you tube about bonding. I don’t know what’s right as some say a small pen & increase or others a big pen but they can claim a bigger space. I was thinking to build & pen with c&c grids & put loads of hay on the floor & that’s it. Just looking for how to do this right. It’s confusing as some say 24/7 or short times. The rescue I spoke to said 15/30 mins first but then if there’s a fight I can’t leave them so would have to separate. Thank you xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it isn't easy and opinions contradict one another. I have nearly always used a big area with many hidey places, must be as neutral as possible, and once put together they should stay together, unless of course if the female starts attacking. The male never normally attacks the girl but he wants to chase her because she needs to submit . This chasing usually lasts up to 3 days, sometimes less. I have many treats ready to take his mind off the chasing, lots of hay, and I have been putting 2 litter trays in. If you feel the boy is getting rather rough just speak to him sternly, similar to how you would talk to a child who is getting a bit out of control. You have to be in control but gently. And that's it! If Bella is acting aggressively and the boy gets scared and won't retaliate, then come back for further advice, but most females run away when the male is chasing them.

I know it isn't easy and opinions contradict one another. I have nearly always used a big area with many hidey places, must be as neutral as possible, and once put together they should stay together, unless of course if the female starts attacking. The male never normally attacks the girl but he wants to chase her because she needs to submit . This chasing usually lasts up to 3 days, sometimes less. I have many treats ready to take his mind off the chasing, lots of hay, and I have been putting 2 litter trays in. If you feel the boy is getting rather rough just speak to him sternly, similar to how you would talk to a child who is getting a bit out of control. You have to be in control but gently. And that's it! If Bella is acting aggressively and the boy gets scared and won't retaliate, then come back for further advice, but most females run away when the male is chasing them.

Hi Toni, hope your well [emoji846]. Thank you for commenting. Oh dear sounds like Bella will need to submit to him. Last time round she did the chasing & tried to mount him & he was running away. It stopped then they fought but I’m positive Bella attacked him. She was dominant in last pair. I really hope she doesn’t do it again. He never tried to mount her but it was over very quickly. Iv got the upstairs room neither had been which is great. I also have a bed in there to sleep in. Oh I know about the sternly to a child lol. I have a little girl who’s hard work haha. Maybe I’ll get a big surprise & they will be ok & better after living side by side. Xx

Good luck Clair.

I too prefer a bigger bonding space but I have gone small when I've been nervous so i can reach them easily. You'll get a feel for which approach is right for you & your bunnies, I've found you often need to adapt as you go

Good Luck from me too. The last bonding I did I proceeded along the lines suggested by tonibun and it progressed in the way she's outlined. My female didn't retaliate, but the male did chase her a lot and nip her at times. Funnily enough I would say that the female is very much the dominant one of the pair now. The two had been living side by side for about 3 days prior to the bonding and I think it helped.

That said, as j&b advised, you should very much go along with what you feel to be right as long as the main principles are maintained. Your aim is to achieve success. It doesn't much matter how you get there as long as no bunny is hurt.

Good luck Clair.

I too prefer a bigger bonding space but I have gone small when I've been nervous so i can reach them easily. You'll get a feel for which approach is right for you & your bunnies, I've found you often need to adapt as you go

Hi, thank you. I’m going to try bigger space [emoji846]. We ended up having such a busy day so didn’t get a chance as just home. Going to do tomo morning though & see how I get on xx

Good Luck from me too. The last bonding I did I proceeded along the lines suggested by tonibun and it progressed in the way she's outlined. My female didn't retaliate, but the male did chase her a lot and nip her at times. Funnily enough I would say that the female is very much the dominant one of the pair now. The two had been living side by side for about 3 days prior to the bonding and I think it helped.

That said, as j&b advised, you should very much go along with what you feel to be right as long as the main principles are maintained. Your aim is to achieve success. It doesn't much matter how you get there as long as no bunny is hurt.

Hi, thank you. Yes going to try what Toni has said. We ended up so busy today so have to wait till tomo morning now. I hope my 2 living so long side by side will help this time. Last time it was my female who chased & tried to mount while male ran away. Then they fought do I had to separate. I do hope it doesn’t end up in a fight this time round. Yes definitely & will just have to try & see what works. I do have a rescue Iv been in touch with if I can’t manage. It will be a 3 hr drive there but will do this if I can’t get them bonded xx

Hi Toni, would you say 4x 6 c&c grids would be a good size to start? I can do much bigger as I have loads of them & an upstairs bedroom. Xx

Hi guys, I’m going to set up tomo my pen for bonding in & im going to have my son video the first interaction. I will need to be on hand if a fight happens but think it will be a good thing to do as I can post it here & you can all see. This is my first buns & bonding so not done before & think by videoing it will help show how it goes. If no fights then it could be a good thing for people on here that might be in the same position to see bonding xx

Hi Toni, would you say 4x 6 c&c grids would be a good size to start? I can do much bigger as I have loads of them & an upstairs bedroom. Xx

The space I have used for a lot of my bonds is a shed 12 x 8 opening into a run of 24' x about 6',so in my opinion 6 x 4 would not be big enough for them to get away from each other until they learn to trust each other. Hopefully,like you say, being next to one another for a while will help. If they can't get away from each other they will be more likely to attack, imo.

The space I have used for a lot of my bonds is a shed 12 x 8 opening into a run of 24' x about 6',so in my opinion 6 x 4 would not be big enough for them to get away from each other until they learn to trust each other. Hopefully,like you say, being next to one another for a while will help. If they can't get away from each other they will be more likely to attack, imo.

Hi, ok thank you. I have a full room (my sons bedroom) I could use that space instead of making a pen for them with the grids. I just thought I needed a pen for them. I’m waiting till my wee girls back to school on Thurs so I can be alone at home doing it xx

Hi all, I just had to come on to post as I’m so excited. I decided to be brave & try bonding. So far it’s going great & we are 45 mins in. I felt more comfortable with a smallish c&c cage & I honestly expected fighting straight away that’s why I did it to split them up easily. Bella has groomed Morgan a tiny bit. I feel like this is really positive. There’s been no jumping, chasing or mounting at all. Morgan’s laying his head down to be groomed. I know there not slit of hay Down I just sprinkled some as I really thought it would be a fight straight away. Do you think I can let them lose in the room? Xx

Iv now increased the cage size just not sure if I should let them lose in room. Also don’t know what to do with litter trays as don’t want to put theirs in just incase it causes fighting xx

I would keep them like this for a couple of days before you change anything. I would also give them a litter tray. Just do things slowly. Well done!

I would keep them like this for a couple of days before you change anything. I would also give them a litter tray. Just do things slowly. Well done!

Ok thank you Toni. I’ve put their trays in but I’ve let them lose in the room. Do you think that’s ok? They have t fought or anything & are eating hay etc. they have never been in that room before. Should I restrict them again? Iv put lots of hay down & they are eating it & both in litter tray & hopping about xx

dae9910b543feb46b2973ddde8feb841.jpg

a1a70987e958858930de4441dec6500b.jpg

They are both lying together in the litter tray [emoji3590]. I really hope this is it for them both xx

That looks really great! I think you have success! I am very pleased for you and them. :love::love:

I think I do. I’m so happy Iv cried with joy. I’ve waited so long since taking Morgan in oct to have them together. No more sharing a room split in half & now they have this whole bedroom. After a couple weeks I will let them in the hall & go from there. It will soon be time to let them use the garden & know what life can be like after living that way for so long. I’m keeping them inside after buying a new shed [emoji85]. They will have run of the house & I want to experience them & enjoy them running round inside. Now they have eachother to love xx

Ok there’s jumping & fur pulling happening. Is this ok to allow? It’s Morgan the male doing it. I stupidly left them for 15 mins which I shouldn’t have. I’m worried he will hurt Bella as he’s alot bigger. She kind of made a wee noise so not sure if it hurt her. I guess they are trying to find out who will be dominant? Or shoukd I restrict their space now. It’s scary to watch him jumping her. She was just lying in the litter tray while he did it. I’m quite scared now xx

Back