• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding an adult and baby

The side by side plan sounds good. I recommend a distraction toy (usually some sort of willow toy for us) for while one is free and the other isn't to help avoid any jealousness and try and stick to a routine like mornings for one and evening for the other. You may not need long side by side, I'd see how baby settles with you and watch their body language across the barrier.

You can do things to start building a bond like feeding them on each side of the same panel so it feels like they're sharing and putting twigs between them to share.

We bonded in an 8 panel and it was fine for the initial period. By the end Rodney was getting upset but because he's so bullish with bondinglus a dental midway they were in it for three weeks whuch felt terribly cruel.

Make sure you have two of things like water bowls on hand in case they guard one.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Yes I thought 8 panels would be small for Mischief long term but it's the best we have. I take it once they are in there bonding we can't let him out at all to run about? He is really bullish by nature and I can see him getting stressed out if left in there too long.

I also worry if he will want to try and jump out to get to me. He is following me everywhere constantly and I don't know if baby will be enough of a distraction? Can I lift him out for cuddles at all? Or will it disrupt the bonding process? Can I go into the pen to interact with them?

I realise he may just want to be with baby but we are very close and I hope it doesn't distress him if I can't give him attention. I also want to bond with baby as she is so new and little and if we do it early she will be much better around us.

But I also want them out the pen asap so would not want to ruin the bonding process and have to start all over again. If I have to leave them alone to get on with it I will. But I will really miss his cuddles as we are together all day [emoji22] It will be very hard on my MH I think. I hope I can deal with it.

We wouldn't be bonding them for the first 2 weeks at least as Mischief will mot be safe from his neutering. She will be 12 weeks just as they are safe to bond. We can use that initial time to establish a connection through the cages hopefully and get them used to each other.

He got really excited smelling my cardigan again this week which I wore when held the baby. He was all over it sniffing it. If he is like that with the cardi I dread to think what poor baby will have to deal with. She could end up being bulldozed. He is like a tank when he wants something!

Thank you for the tips on toys and seperate bowls. I will order some and treats and new bowls. We are also going to get a free standing water dispenser as then we can use it if we don't later use cages/puppy pen as all that metal takes up space!

Also do you think we need a really heavy duty pen? I mean it is used for dogs and I would think rabbits couldn't break it? Or am I wrong there?[emoji23] The heavy duty ones are much more expensive and more unsightly but if we need them then that's ok.

Where do you get your lino from? Do you order it online or go to local carpet shops? I thought we could try and get offcut rolls locally perhaps?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure I order the right puppy pen this week x

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
No worries I remember being so nervous about doing this the first time. I was lucky my sister in law had done it before and helped me supervise the first sessions.

I used a site called burts for lino but asking around locally or or local Facebook is also a good option if you know what it's been used for.

I use the lightweight ones, they can move them with a shove or a binky but as we were supervising constantly we just moved it back into place. Easy to store as well.

Ideally you want to interfere only if someone is distressed or close to it. I hopped in the pen once a day to clean up messes as there were lots of territorial pees which I didn't want them running through and getting sore feets. With the 24hour method there isn't any breaks but you'll have to see how they go. You might need a break at night for your own health.

You'll have to wait and see but it did cause upset as Blossom wanted pets and Rodney wanted to hide behind me. You'll have loads of time for baby to get to know you and Mr Chief will teach her all about you and how to get you to cave in for treats!

Thank you. So the 24 hour bonding is with little interaction [emoji6]

I will read up on the bonding ideas and get more info. I was planning to just leave them to bond and sleep on the sofa but obviously it depends how they get on as I can't do that for very long.

It may be that I have to seperate them at night but I got the impression that most people think it's best to leave them together if you can?

How long does it usually take to bond them to the point where they can be in the bedroom with us and we can interact with them? I realise it depends on the buns but are we looking at weeks and weeks?

Is the other option just giving them time together and then splitting them up at night? I guess it could be confusing for them and they could miss each other? But if Mischief gets really stressed in the play pen constantly then I would have no choice.

I think the answer to this is try bonding them and if they are doing well then just leave them be (if I can cope with a few nights on the sofa) but if they are distressed then I can seperate them at night and try again the next day perhaps?

I guess you can't have a plan set in stone can you? It just depends on the bunnies [emoji6]

Thank you so much CS you have clarified things for me plus helped me to understand the bonding process some more x

I'm off to order puppy pen and some goodies for Mr Chief as thought some toys and treats would help him after his op. He will be in the puppy pen for a few days for safety and will help alleviate boredom [emoji3]

It's very much feel your way along. I found having my thread on here where everyone gave me fantastic advice and support as we went made the most difference to me.

Rodney always takes a few weeks to bond with months side by side but I believe that's unusual. He's very sensitive about anyone approaching his face so it takes him a long time to trust with that. We fear an incident in his past is responsible.

This bond went much quicker and smoother than the last one and I believe that was due to the guidance on here. I also took videos occasionally and shared them with a reputable rescue who were very experienced with buns like Rodney and they very kindly reassured me that all was well. I did give them a donation but they were very happy to take a look and advise on what they would do for free. It was very helpful as Blossom's rescue just suggested stress bonding which is a big no for me.

I slept with them for a month and as a result can barely remember January its all a blur [emoji1787] they are rascals that will wake you up at odd times and tell you it's time for breakfast! In the end I started tagging in hubby at 5am as he's a morning person and I am not [emoji1787]

I think you'll find that things will go well and you'll find a rhythm that works for them and you.

Oh bless little Rodney. They are such sensitive creatures aren't they?

Mischief is pure soppiness. I can blow raspberries in his face and cuddle him really tight and he just melts.

We had him from 10 weeks old and he was quite nervous to be touched and very feisty when we got him.
I spend so much time with him though as I don't work but even still it has taken a long time to build up trust.

We don't have a good rescue place near here really but I will be on here asking advice constantly I expect to start with! I doubt I would be attempting bonding him if I didn't have people like yourself to ask for help when needed. This forum has been a godsend for me especially when Mischief was so ill.

A whole month sleeping with them! It's like having a newborn! That takes pure dedication and love. Amazing! And quite scary to think I may have to do that! [emoji44]

I will most probably do that if needed though. I'm sure I will sit there constantly just watching them. I found bunnies fascinating anyway plus I will be nervous to leave them. I'm starting to realise this is a big thing to bond bunnies!

Last edited:
I must admit those bonds are very special. Blossom is a soppy girl as long as I stroke her forehead in the right way [emoji1787]

Then I can kiss her head [emoji16]

Rodney often watches these sessions but isn't keen on joining in. I hope one day to find his special spot, instead we play games like pick my pocket for food and with baby toys like stacking cups and such.

I would just take one step at a time ie get your boy neutered and over the op. Get baby Bun and put her somewhere safe so she can adjust to her new surroundings and Mr Chief can get used to the idea of having another Bunny there. When you feel baby has settled in, is eating well etc, then you can introduce them but come back on here before so we can advise you.

That is so cute though. It's so important to recognise what they need and not push them too quickly.

Rodney is happier playing games and it's still bonding with him and giving him your time. He sounds a real character [emoji175]

I would just take one step at a time ie get your boy neutered and over the op. Get baby Bun and put her somewhere safe so she can adjust to her new surroundings and Mr Chief can get used to the idea of having another Bunny there. When you feel baby has settled in, is eating well etc, then you can introduce them but come back on here before so we can advise you.
Oh I won't do anything without checking. I am aware of her being so young aswell and she needs time to settle in and I don't want to rush her and scare her. We can leave bonding them as long as we need to until it feels like the right time.

You are right that I need to take it a step at a time. It is quite daunting really but it's a slow process and there is no rush [emoji6]

Yes she will be growing a lot even before we get her. At 10 weeks she will be probably double the size she is now.

We thought Betsy was a bit different and cute. Or possibly Mable? It needs to suit a big bunny. Her mum is called Bluebell and it suits her well. We want to see her personality first to see what name suits her best. Mischief picked his own name really [emoji23]

I think both of those names are cute! I think seeing her personality first before deciding on a name is a good idea, though. And, yeah, it does sound like you chose Mischief's name very well. :lol:

I think both of those names are cute! I think seeing her personality first before deciding on a name is a good idea, though. And, yeah, it does sound like you chose Mischief's name very well. [emoji38]
Aw glad you like them. She seems quite calm so a non-assuming name might work well [emoji6]

So we spent last night measuring the bedroom and scrolling through puppy pens on Amazon checking it will fit it in the bedroom.

Initially we were going to use the 8 panel puppy pen for Mischief and our XXL dog crate for baby so tgey can be side by side. Unfortunately we have realised there is a radiator which means it won't all efit by about 10cm max. So frustrating!

So we then thought maybe give Mischief a 6 panel puppy pen as it is a temporary situation. We will let him out most of the time as he will need the space more. But the 6 panel still does not fit with the crate as we can't get to our bed or the door!

So we have now decided on an 8 panel pen plus getting a slightly smaller dog crate for baby. We are getting a large which is 91cm long. We will still put the XXL dog crate up in the lounge for baby to go in if needed.

We were thinking that when we let Mischief out in bedroom he can touch baby in crate. So we may have to put her in the larger crate away from him when he is free roaming as he doesn't go in the lounge.

I hope this makes sense. We will make use of the dog crate after I'm sure. Plus I thought perhaps we can extend the puppy pen by adding the dog crates to it somehow. I can't see Mischief being very happy in 8 panels for long so any extra space would be worth doing.

Also ordered a steam cleaner to blitz everywhere. We are steaming everything ready for Mischief's op so it's as clean as possible.

The puppy pen comes Saturday so we are going to set that up in the bedroom for him to live in after his op for the next 7-10 days until he is safe to free roam again. The last thing we need is him dashing about before his stitches come out!

It all kind of works but will be squashed while we have to seperate them if we want to have baby in with us in bedroom so they can live side by side. Initially she will be left in lounge to settle in where it is quiet.

I hope I'm working all this out correctly and not missed anything. Oh we went for 100cm height on the puppy pen. I know it is high but I have seen him jump up onto a really narrow radiator which is 65cm high from stand still so he could clear 80cm easily with a slight run up. I just hope 100cm is enough! [emoji38]

It all sounds good :D I used to do all the cleaning by hand but using a steam cleaner this time was so much easier. If you have any spare pen panels you could fashion a 'roof' over the pen, that's what we did providing their secure so no chance of falling. We didn't have any attempts of jumping out despite knowing both buns could easily do it.

It all sounds good :D I used to do all the cleaning by hand but using a steam cleaner this time was so much easier. If you have any spare pen panels you could fashion a 'roof' over the pen, that's what we did providing their secure so no chance of falling. We didn't have any attempts of jumping out despite knowing both buns could easily do it.
Steam cleaners are amazing. You can blitz everything including their toys and food bowls and there are no chemicals. I will clean the base of the dog crate Mischief sometimes uses with vinegar aswell just in case I think. We are getting new litter trays so at least they will be neutral.

We won't have spare panels as only buying an 8 panel pen and will need it all. I am wondering if you can buy spare panels for the pen if needed? We may not need them. I thought of draping a sheet over the top to discourage him from jumping but I'm worried he jumps and gets tangled in the sheet. Thinking that started me off worrying about all these possible accidents that could happen [emoji27]

I am worrying about things and aren't even happening! [emoji38] I was saying to my OH last night that if the locum vet is doing the op I will just cancel it on the spot and come home. The locum was not very rabbit savvy at all. My OH said he wouldn't be doing the op and I'm making things up to worry about [emoji23]

As my health has been bad it has affected my mental state aswell as it always does. I seem to be especially stressed and am over-thinking everything. I must seem such a worrier! I think I will be better once his op is over. I hope so or this will be a long and stressful few weeks! x

The puppy pen has arrived and we are really pleased with it [emoji3]

My OH set it up in the lounge and it's nice and sturdy and we have room to add on the XL dog crate to extend it out aswell.

I didn't realise the sides can be moved about so it will also fit in the alcove in the bedroom and side can move out to accomodate the radiator. So will fit all 8 panels in nicely in bedroom aswell.

I'm actually starting to get excited now. We have bought fresh parsley, coriander and blueberries to take to vets for Mr Chief's recovery tomorrow and we will pack hay and few pellets aswell plus one of his fleeces [emoji4]

Sounds like you're as prepared as you can possibly be, and like Mischief will have everything he'll need to be comfortable tomorrow. :)

I have new pix of the baby for everyone to see! [emoji178]

We are thinking of calling her Lilabelle after her Mum Bluebelle. We are thinking it means little Belle plus seems to suit her. She is very beautiful and chilled and also friendly. She puts her head down for the seller to stroke her head [emoji7]
d64c8553fa120d0e8ddf6c66f063c3db.jpg
142edebb442c74e53950db6f6e6f7885.jpg
4653062ec4c59e26c5664bfb824bb118.jpg
d65e0877a105cdaae3e47049ab2a1428.jpg

We are deciding what feed pellets to get for the baby. She is on Allen and Page mix at the moment but we are thinking of moving them both on to Science Selective.

As we are going to be bonding them 2 weeks after baby arrives (so just under 4 weeks time) I am wondering if they should be fed the same pellets ready for this?

Would she need the Junior pellets though? In which case do we feed them both Junior feed? I am concerned as Mischief is prone to put on weight if given too much food in front of him as he eats everything!!

If he eats all the junior pellets we put down he could put on weight perhaps? How would we prevent him eating them all? Do we feed them pellets seperately even when we are bonding them and feed them different pellets?

I need to order new feed for Mischief asap really as his other bag of pellets is a third full and he will need this while we wean him over to other pellets.

Could anyone advise me firstly on what is best pellets for her please? She will be 10 weeks when we pick her up and she is a french lop. I have read that frenchies need a growth pellet for the first 9 months due to their bones being heavy and need it to grow well. Would a junior Science Selective feed be enough for her to do that maybe?

Also what feed would I use to bond them with? Do I just use junior pellets for both of them? How would I do that so he does not eat too much? Mischief is 3 years old in September, is just neutered recently and is a male french lop.

So bearing in mind I am planning to start bonding them in a fortnight after baby arrives which is only a month from now....would I order Science Selective (not junior one) for Mischief for the next 4 weeks and a junior one for the baby to start with? And then wean Mischief over to junior pellets just before the bonding is due to start? Or just buy the junior one for both of them and feed Mischief a smaller amount of pellets so he is weaned on to junior pellets already. I am concerned about changing his pellets twice in one month but if it is the same feed only junior would the transition be easy for him?

Sorry it is complicated but I feel the right pellets are important for them so need some help knowing what to do.

Thanks everyone xx

Back